Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 06:48 PM

6 posts, read 14,760 times

Advertisements

Hello. My family and I will be moving to the Lehigh Valley area in the near future. We are interested in the Parkland and Easton school districts. We also would like a town that is safe and a nice place to raise 2 children, while being about 20-30 from Allentown. Besides the schools, I was wondering which towns are good baseball towns. My son is very involved in baseball and we would like to live in a town that takes is seriously and has a great program. I heard that Macungie has a good program. What about Emmaus? Also, what are Orefield, Coplay and Schnecksville like? Are they safe and a good place to raise a family? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 07:51 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Hell Hunter!

I'm sorry I can't be of much help since I live over an hour away from the area in question, but I just wanted to welcome you in advance to the Lehigh Valley. I did a photo tour of Bethlehem in 2007 and absolutely fell in love with the city (Allentown not so much, but it most certainly has potential in my eyes). Moderator toobusytoday, who lives in Coopersburg, should be along soon to help.

I also want to caution you not to get your son's hopes up too high about baseball. While there are some great programs in that area that will permit him to thrive, if the Lehigh Valley is anything like my own region here in Northeastern Pennsylvania, any accomplishments he achieves athletically will be FAR overshadowed by the football team. Pennsylvanians, in general, have a mindless obsession with high school football---there were more middle-aged childless people in the stands at my alma mater than students, and some high school football games would pull in more fans than our minor-league baseball team would! The local media devotes 20-minutes every Friday night solely to high school football coverage. Every other sport bites the dust, and it's a bloody shame because I'm a die-hard baseball fan myself who doesn't understand the odd obsession with high school football over everything else.

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 12-01-2008 at 07:52 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 12-01-2008, 08:22 PM

Thanks for your input. I now live in a town that is overshadowed by football. I'm okay with that as long as the baseball program itself is good and it allows him to show his talents, he'll be okay. He also plays football so we should be okay with that too.

thanks for your help!

Old 12-02-2008, 05:32 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
Are you picking Parkland because of it's scores? The school district itself doesn't really have a true main street town. Parts of Allentown and the suburbs around it are included in Parkland school district and the town of Orefield, but that's not really a town with stores.

East Penn, otoh, has two towns - Emmaus and Macungie and the schools are also good. This is a very popular area for new people and it would be easy to fit in.

Coplay is an older town with not a lot of new development. I've only been through it a couple of times as it's a little out of the way for me and not much there. Orefield is more of an area then a town, same with Schnecksville. I had to look on the map to refresh my memory and realized that I've driven through it on my way to football games and never really noticed it.

However, I guess whether a place has a town or not doesn't matter much if your priority is the sports and the schools and Parkland School district has both. Wish I could tell you about it's baseball but I know nothing about it.

I live in Southern Lehigh School district and our school plays in a smaller league. We do have a very good HS baseball team and active feeder teams. This year our baseball team made it pretty high up the ladder and usually does well. Our soccer, lacrosse, field hockey, basketball and tennis teams are also very good. Football? Not so much. It is well supported though and for the homecoming game there was not a seat to be found. Our HS team plays all it's home games at Limeport Stadium, which is the coolest stadium around - Welcome to Limeport Stadium, Inc.

I hope someone else can give you more information about the area's you are actually interested in.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 12-02-2008 at 10:05 AM..

Old 12-02-2008, 05:41 AM

No on mentioned Macungie - is it a nice place to live?

Old 12-02-2008, 10:05 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
Oops, I"ll correct my above post. Macungie is in East Penn school district. I like both towns and often recommend Emmaus because of it's shops and little restaurants. Macungie has a nice large community center right on Main Street and a large park where they have a couple of big festivals.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:59 AM

Thank you very much. Looks like we'll be concentrating on Emmaus and Macungie.

Old 12-03-2008, 02:48 PM

1,032 posts, read 4,264,160 times
We are in Lower Macungie - moved her a year ago - and are very happy!

I searched long and hard before settling on the East Penn SD, and after narrowing it down to East Penn and Parkland, we went with East Penn because although parkland is a great SD, it is very spread out since the are is less densely populated than the area covered by the East Penn SD. I was just happier with the fact that the schools are all fairly close together - and they are even building a new elementary school less than a mile from my home!

I don't know what you are looking for in terms of houses, but we are in the Pulte development off of Sauerkraut Lane (Graymoor). We looked at every new development in the area, and I'm so happy we decided to move here! We are not from the area, and neither are about 80% of our the other people in this area, so it's been really easy to make friends - everyone is looking for friends so they are very welcoming.

Best of luck in your search - I am happy to answer any questions you have along the way since we just did the exact same search a year ago.

Old 12-27-2008, 11:15 AM

Hi. Thanks for the advice. I haven't been on in a while and just read it the other day. We actually looked at two homes on Graymoor. I loved that area. Do you know if Emmaus has a good baseball program? As for the schools, do you know which one has better high school sports programs? Also, our realtor isn't really helping us, do you have someone that you used or could you recommend someone? Thanks for your help.

Old 12-27-2008, 11:15 PM

61 posts, read 225,864 times
Either one of those schools has great athletics in most every sport.

They both always dominate swimming. East Penn usually dominates baseball. Parkland is always much better at football, although east penn finally is showing signs of life. Soccer is excellent at both. Basketball varies but lately parkland has been better.

You can't go wrong at either school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley