Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 08:10 AM

9 posts, read 25,170 times

Advertisements

Hey Guys,
So, I'm from NEPA and my wife is a Jersey Girl. I'm interviewing for a job in the Lehigh Valley and I'm having trouble finding a good place that my pain in the a$$ wife will like Everyone says that this place is nice or that place isn't but no one compares a location to another so people like me can draw a comparison.

Here's the twist: I'll describe what my wife likes and if you guys can, give me examples of places that might match or be close. Cool? Thanks! You're the best!

Here we go. We just sold the house in Maplewood NJ (in the Short Hills area of Essex Co.) Maplewood has a nice downtown area with a traditional main st. with restaurants, boutiques, couple pubs, hair and nail places, and even a 3 screen movie theater! The houses for the most part are 3-4 bedroom 1920's era colonials. The yards are nice(small but nice) and the houses are nice. The elementary is good. The people work in Manhattan so there is a level of sophistcation mixed with family no-nonsense practicality. We like Newtown, New Hope, Yardley in Bucks. I like the Bethlehem main st. but don't know if it's the kind of place she would like to live. There (in my limited experience) a down trodden/seedy element that I know she'll hate to the area. I see some awesome houses on Realtor.com when I search Hellertown. The houses are unreal for the price so it makes me question what's around the area. Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 12:42 PM

121 posts, read 388,384 times
In Bethlehem try the area West & South of 378, North of the Lehigh river. There are a lot of nice colonials in the areas North & South of both W Broad and W Union as you head towards Allentown. No theater but the Boyd is nearby.

Old 12-12-2008, 04:33 AM

242 posts, read 836,994 times
wish2bnpa

Its hard get very soecific without price range but I may be able to give some areas that make sense. Well I can tell hellertown in general is a nice area and produces a desirable school district. I think though its a little of a commute to the movie theater. Some other areas that you may want to look at are (not sure about 1920's build dates but you'll at least get some character) Bethlehem on the North side. Allentown on the west side which can also be South Whitehall Township which will give some character options.

Hope this helps

Old 12-12-2008, 07:11 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
Hellertown is an up and coming little town and it seems that a new cute store/restaurant/pastry shop opens every few months. Good school district. Close to the Welcome to The Promenade Shops at Saucon Valley which has a multiplex movie theatre and not far from a Regal cinema on route 378. No, you can't walk to either place but not too many towns in the area have downtown movie theaters any more. Hellertown did up to just a few years ago but I think it's in transition now and not being used for anything.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:17 AM

Well, I guess I should clarify even more. She likes charm, not necessarily a house from the 20's. I was trying to illustrate the idea of a neat house with great craftsmanship and in a town with a sense of community and commerce. Imagine Doylestown, Newtown, Tunkhanock (did I get close to spelling that right?). We can afford to bid on houses up to $500K so I think we should have a lot to choose from. Here's one: 110 Mansfeld Ct, Williams Twp, PA, 18055 - MLS ID#323081 - Single Family Home Real Estate - REALTOR.com® (http://www.realtor.com/search/listingdetail.aspx?lid=1105061824 - broken link)

Looks awesome but what is that area like? Is it strictly rural with a 10 minute drive to anything?

Old 12-12-2008, 01:58 PM

3,255 posts, read 5,078,237 times
Historic Bethlehem sounds like what she wants. I have several friends who are retiring (actually moving back in their 40s and early 50s) downtown. Most of us lwho eft in the late 70s for work will return to the downtown areas vs the suburbs I think, at least that is the trend I see. Hellertown, unless it has changed drastically, considers you an outsider unless you have prehistoric roots there and can be a cold, cold town to live in. Kutztown to the west is another quaint town, but again, can be cold to outsiders. Bethlehem has so many downtown festivals that you would not need the movie theater, but there is the old downtown theater on the pedestrian mall. The Saucon Valley area will be like a manufactured downtown with flat pack pubs, etc.

Old 12-12-2008, 03:42 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
The house that you linked looks like it's in a development. If you want that, there are tons surrounding the cities as well as the small towns. Frankly, any of the towns or cities up here are going to have a majority of people that have lived here forever and may not be warm and friendly to newcomers. Not that they will be mean, but that they have their circle of friends and family. OTOH, the developments with new homes will have families that are also new to the area.

The town that I live closest to, Coopersburg, does not have a great downtown as far as stores and shopping but it does have nice big old houses for sale, a rich history and new people moving into the area - not especially the borough, but the school district is growing.

Emmaus has a nice downtown, but not a lot of big beautiful houses.

Old 12-12-2008, 04:17 PM

184 posts, read 750,933 times
I will straight out say there is no Maplewood or New Hope or Yardley equivalent in the Lehigh Valley. The LV is also a lot cheaper than any of those places so maybe you guys can console yourself by reveling in more square footage or land. Historic downtown Bethlehem is probably closest but not if you are looking for a largish single family house.

Your post gives the sense you want to live near shops and a downtown, in which case Williams Twp is not what you are looking for. Or do you just want a big splashy new-ish house, in which case there are more options. If you want a charming older house and schools are not an issue you might look in West Allentown near Muhlenberg college. It is not clear to me from your post what your priorities are.

Old 12-12-2008, 05:16 PM

242 posts, read 836,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wish2BNPA View Post
Well, I guess I should clarify even more. She likes charm, not necessarily a house from the 20's. I was trying to illustrate the idea of a neat house with great craftsmanship and in a town with a sense of community and commerce. Imagine Doylestown, Newtown, Tunkhanock (did I get close to spelling that right?). We can afford to bid on houses up to $500K so I think we should have a lot to choose from. Here's one: 110 Mansfeld Ct, Williams Twp, PA, 18055 - MLS ID#323081 - Single Family Home Real Estate - REALTOR.com® (http://www.realtor.com/search/listingdetail.aspx?lid=1105061824 - broken link)

Looks awesome but what is that area like? Is it strictly rural with a 10 minute drive to anything?
that style of house is very common in this area....so if williams township (which is about a 10 minute drive to everything) is not acceptable...you will be able to find that home in the west end area for about $400 to $450 and in bethlehem for about $425 to 475, and in nazareth for about $400 and in whitehall for about $375 (which has malls galore), Parkland for about $440 -$480, etc...

So if that location doesn't work you & your wife you will be able to find that house in another location for its realtive price (sq ft and land varying).

Old 12-14-2008, 02:26 PM

I went over to look around yesterday and I think I figured it out. The Hellertown area has a bunch of new developments but it's deeply rural to get there and some pretty crappy old and junky houses line the road. So, I know my wife wouldn't like that. However, going to the Lower Saucon Valley/Center Valley by the Promenade was pretty awesome! Some great houses there and the town seemed nice. The shops are great at the Promenade. My wife will love it. Thanks everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley