Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 06:02 AM

16 posts, read 60,146 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,
I live in Atlanta and might be moving to Allentown, I guess I should say Lehigh Valley. I have been reading a lot of the posts in the forum and have learnt a lot about the area. In atlanta, there are certain parts of town which are considered to be either trendy parts to live in and others that are known for single/young couples to live. Is there anything like that in the area? After work, I like to walk everywhere, either it be restaurants, clubs, gyms, tennis courts, movie theatres, grocery stores etc. Are there any areas like where I can find housing or am I in for a huge surprise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 08:43 AM

13,248 posts, read 33,345,557 times
I think you are in for a huge surprise if you are looking for that in Allentown. The only area that is remotely cool around here has to be Bethlehem and even that doesn't have multiples of things. Atlanta is a much, much bigger city. According to the census, Atlanta has about 470,000 people and Bethlehem has 73,000. Now if you add in Allentown right next to it and the small towns surrounding the cities, that would add up to another (maybe) 200,000 but each town is not like a suburb of the city, it's a small town with it's own government and school district, shops, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I really like Bethlehem but it IS an old Northeast city that has only recently remade itself into a cool city with cute shops. What it has going for it is history and two colleges and a beautiful setting. Come see and decide for yourself, just know you will not find another Atlanta in the Lehigh Valley.

Old 12-06-2008, 09:44 AM

32,602 posts, read 77,235,199 times
Agreed. Bethlehem is the closest you'll find in the Lehigh Valley to "hip" and "urbane." Allentown is a mix of sterile suburban-styled neighborhoods with cul-de-sacs, a rather "dead" downtown, and a lot of sketchy and impoverished areas replete with hood rats. Bethlehem is the only city that truly has itself properly sited for future success with a lot of dense mixed-use neighborhoods, although from what I've seen and heard Easton is doing a lot of good things also as of late.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:42 AM

242 posts, read 833,529 times
Bethlehem is definitly more trendy but do not overlook the West End of allentown (right around the cedar Crest Blvd area). It is not "trendy" but it does pose to be a mobile siutation with the rose garden, strip malls, health clubs, stores, and some trendy spots, etc...

the one thing I would warn (since my sister lives outside of atlanta) it will be very difficult to come here an inject Atlanta into this Northeast (walking somewhere when is 20 degrees with 30 mile an hour winds is not fun) is very hard to do, but if take the things you like (mobility, trendy spots, healthclubs) and look for that opportunity and take what the city gives....you will have more doors open.

Just some food for thought.
Good Luck

Old 12-11-2008, 08:04 AM

9 posts, read 24,996 times
Well, I think Tennisfanatic is referring to a Old City Philly or Manayunk vibe, not a strip mall vibe.The Cedar Crest Blvd does have some new stuff and some high end stores (in the mall I think) but I'm not sure about the living conditions near it. In Old City, there are corner bars, boutiques, restaruants, and art displays. It's in blocks, not a straight line in a strip mall. So, I would vote for Bethlehem main st. as the closest area for that. Good luck! Be careful where you choose.

Old 12-12-2008, 05:37 AM

99 posts, read 336,602 times
Tennisfanatic: are you looking to buy or to rent? What is your price range? What town/ city would you be working in?

Old 12-12-2008, 07:54 PM

I have not decided on buying or renting. I was thinking more in the lines of renting until I learn a little bit more about the area. As far as working... I'll be working in the hospitals in Lehigh Valley.

Old 12-13-2008, 06:04 AM

99 posts, read 336,602 times
I don't know about your housing budget, but if cash permits, take a look at the Riverport Condos in Bethlehem. It is a pretty cool development with a very urban vibe. The building has a Sports Bar across from the lobby and a nice gym right in the complex. Bethlehem is a hip little city with some good restaurants, bars, and a lovely downtown. No doubt you will be impressed with Riverport. Good luck!

Old 12-19-2008, 06:16 PM

Thanks everyone for your inputs. I will look into bethlehem most likely and I am very excited to be moving to PA

Old 12-22-2008, 01:37 AM

191 posts, read 685,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffvivian View Post
Bethlehem is definitly more trendy but do not overlook the West End of allentown (right around the cedar Crest Blvd area). It is not "trendy" but it does pose to be a mobile siutation with the rose garden, strip malls, health clubs, stores, and some trendy spots, etc...

the one thing I would warn (since my sister lives outside of atlanta) it will be very difficult to come here an inject Atlanta into this Northeast (walking somewhere when is 20 degrees with 30 mile an hour winds is not fun) is very hard to do, but if take the things you like (mobility, trendy spots, healthclubs) and look for that opportunity and take what the city gives....you will have more doors open.

Just some food for thought.
Good Luck

And your a real estate agent who mainly tried to sell in the west end market, right?

Question for you Jeff, are all real estate transaction public record?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley