U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2008, 10:26 AM

3 posts, read 5,549 times

Advertisements

I'm Amanda and I am from Punxsutawney so not sure if this is the correct place to post or not but I would love to hear some opinions from people from PA and if possible around my area.

My question I wanted to ask is I would love to open up a small business out of my home and don't plan to earn much money but would really enjoy doing this but not sure if there would be a need for it.

I plan on moving sometime but didn't know if I should wait until I move to start my business or if I would be able to start out here.

I would be willing to travel to areas within 45 min driving distance so I would have more people to serve.

The reason I asked parents is because what I want to do is offer dress up trunks and packages for childrens parties. I would include themed dress up clothes Princess, Fairys, Pirates, Knights, Tutu's and tons of accessories in the package. I would offer to rent only the costumes or a complete package which could include tea cups and china or paper goods, Table Cloth, Napkins and all Table wear. I would also include a party guide which would include games, food suggestions/ideas and how to have a successful event. These packages could be picked up at my house or I could deliver the day before the event and pick up the day after the event. I would also set everything up and tear everything down for an extra fee. Invitations and Favors would also be optional additions.

So your little girl could have her dream princess party, fairy party or tea party I would also be including boys costumes so they can also join in on the fun.

Keep in mind these costumes would be well keep, clean and organized.

So the party could be held in your home or at another location.

I would really appreciate some advice about this business and if you would use it or not. If you think I should change anything? What you like/don't like? If you think this would work in this area or if I should wait until I move?

Keep in mind that I am not doing this to make a living only as part time job and If I only had 2-4 parties in a month that would be fine as long as it paid for it's self in the end.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 05:24 PM

113 posts, read 279,156 times
Default your ideas sound great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post
I'm Amanda and I am from Punxsutawney so not sure if this is the correct place to post or not but I would love to hear some opinions from people from PA and if possible around my area.

My question I wanted to ask is I would love to open up a small business out of my home and don't plan to earn much money but would really enjoy doing this but not sure if there would be a need for it.

I plan on moving sometime but didn't know if I should wait until I move to start my business or if I would be able to start out here.

I would be willing to travel to areas within 45 min driving distance so I would have more people to serve.

The reason I asked parents is because what I want to do is offer dress up trunks and packages for childrens parties. I would include themed dress up clothes Princess, Fairys, Pirates, Knights, Tutu's and tons of accessories in the package. I would offer to rent only the costumes or a complete package which could include tea cups and china or paper goods, Table Cloth, Napkins and all Table wear. I would also include a party guide which would include games, food suggestions/ideas and how to have a successful event. These packages could be picked up at my house or I could deliver the day before the event and pick up the day after the event. I would also set everything up and tear everything down for an extra fee. Invitations and Favors would also be optional additions.

So your little girl could have her dream princess party, fairy party or tea party I would also be including boys costumes so they can also join in on the fun.

Keep in mind these costumes would be well keep, clean and organized.

So the party could be held in your home or at another location.

I would really appreciate some advice about this business and if you would use it or not. If you think I should change anything? What you like/don't like? If you think this would work in this area or if I should wait until I move?

Keep in mind that I am not doing this to make a living only as part time job and If I only had 2-4 parties in a month that would be fine as long as it paid for it's self in the end.
That sounds really great. I do not know when you are planning to move. I bet alot of parents would love your ideas too. Go for it and good luck.

Old 12-26-2008, 08:07 AM

19 posts, read 65,307 times
I think it sounds great!

Old 12-28-2008, 08:25 AM

Thanks to all the possitive opinions So would you yourself use this? I am also worried about the economy and if it would effect my business that is what my dad keeps telling me so maybe I should wait? More opinions welcomed.

Old 12-28-2008, 01:58 PM

5 posts, read 13,550 times
I think that people would be a lil bit guarded about spending on pirate/princess parties right now....if you really look at it - its a pure luxury, not at all a necessity. My little girl would be blissful just by having all her friends over at her home and playing with them in her room with her toys. The Birthday cake and candle blowing and the tit bits would add the flavor.... I think these are times when people think twice about whether something is really required or not and a lot many parents may vote this down, at least I would........

I do realize that this is my opinion - a lot of people give importance to stuff like this for their kids.
A more viable opinion comes to my mind - There are a lot of places which offers hosting birthday parties. If you decide to go ahead with this, why dont you think about tying up with some of these places and offering this as an option - this would reduce your marketing overhead and would attract the right crowd - the kind of parents who looks at outsourcing most of their kids bday parties and want to make the least mess of their homes.

Hope this helps...

Old 12-28-2008, 05:32 PM

12,870 posts, read 29,506,883 times
manta,
I think the key is marketing and pricing, but the idea is great. My daughter loved dressing up when she was a child and most of her birthday parties involved role play and pretending to be princesses and other characters.

Lots of parents in my area go overboard with their kids parties. There is even a store here in the Promenade shops where little girls go to get their nails and I think their hair done. Not something we would have ever done but they seem to be doing a good business.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:04 PM

619 posts, read 2,019,811 times
Your business plan reminded me of a business in Watchung, NJ called Cookies and Juice. It sounds like the same idea only they aren't a traveling show. You might get some ideas/info from their website.

New Jersey Kids Birthday Party Places New Jersey Disco Dance Party Princess Glamour Party Dress Up Theme Party Super Hero Kids Party

(Am I allowed to post a link like this? )

Old 12-30-2008, 11:12 PM

Thanks so much guys I agree that this service is not nessary and most parents right now probably would want to spend less money on a party like this. I still think there are a few who would use this type of business but a most wouldn't.

Also the idea of working with another company would be a great idea but there are no companys around my area like that, that might be another bad sign? Atleast within a half hour?

And thank you for the link, I have seen many places that do this idea and I did alot of reseach about it. I think having my own shop and also hosting the parties would be more appealing but the overall cost would be much higher thats why I thought of doing the renting/traveling also without the hosting it makes the whole event less exspensive. Alot of business like this are still running so parents must be spending money on parties but they must be rich!

Anyways after speeking with my family I come to decide that I might wait to start something like this in the mean time I doing my research and slowing collecting things I need to get it started that way I won't be spending all the money at once and wait for good deals.

I also wanted to add that I am not sure exactly when I will be moving I will be attending Penn State this Fall for a two year degree after that I will try to find a job if I can't find one in this area someone after that I will most likely need to move out of this area.

If anyone else would like to add more feel free
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or