U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2008, 12:52 PM

5 posts, read 10,233 times

Advertisements

My family (wife and two kids, 11 and 13) and I are moving to the Lehigh Valley sometime in the new year. In January I want to bring them to Bethlehem to show off the area. Hopefully, they will love it.

With this in mind: any recommendations where to stay for the weekend (i.e. hotel, b&b)? Also, anything in particular we should do or see?

TIA
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 01:41 PM

93 posts, read 284,545 times
Hotel Bethlehem would probably be the best place to stay as its in the heart of the downtown area. As far as B&B's go the only ones I'm familiar with near downtown are Morningstar Inn and Sayre Mansion. I've never stayed in either but they're supposed to be nice.

There are lots of restaurants and cute shops downtown and also across the river by Lehigh University. As far as other things to do, it really depends on where your interests lie. If you're more specific people should be able to help you out.

Old 12-23-2008, 04:45 PM

3,255 posts, read 4,701,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canman63 View Post
My family (wife and two kids, 11 and 13) and I are moving to the Lehigh Valley sometime in the new year. In January I want to bring them to Bethlehem to show off the area. Hopefully, they will love it.

With this in mind: any recommendations where to stay for the weekend (i.e. hotel, b&b)? Also, anything in particular we should do or see?

TIA
You can go skating at the municipal rink on Monacacy Creek Road. If Lehigh is open and the kids like castles, take them to the main library.If you are there on Friday, take a ride over to the Allentown Farmers market if you are not used to such things. Check out the events at the colleges such as concerts,etc. If you are going a bit afield, try the Mercer Museum.

Old 12-23-2008, 08:06 PM

12,870 posts, read 29,512,737 times
I would stay at the Hotel Bethlehem. It's right in the heart of town and it's a cool hotel. We stayed there for a wedding in the Spring and we only live 15 minutes away! I would spend some time wandering around downtown Bethlehem, as much as weather permits. Another popular outside shopping venue is Welcome to The Promenade Shops at Saucon Valley, over in my neck of the woods. There's also a movie theater there if you need some down time. As janeannwho says, check out the nearby colleges for performances. Unfortunately, they will all be just coming off Christmas break so probably not much going on except for sports. If your family is into sports, I've heard that the DeSales University boys basketball team is doing very well. DeSales is about 10 minutes from Bethlehem.

Oh, I just found this on-line - http://www.thepromenadeshopsatsaucon...s/shopstay.pdf Not the Hotel Bethlehem, but might interest you.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 12-24-2008, 12:45 PM

3,255 posts, read 4,701,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
You can go skating at the municipal rink on Monacacy Creek Road. If Lehigh is open and the kids like castles, take them to the main library.If you are there on Friday, take a ride over to the Allentown Farmers market if you are not used to such things. Check out the events at the colleges such as concerts,etc. If you are going a bit afield, try the Mercer Museum.
If the Lost River Caverns in Hellertown is open, that is a cool place for kids too. The Discovery center is in AllentownI think. The walking tours of the Moravian complex is usually nice, and you can take them down to the Colonial Industrial Buildings (I do not think they will be open in Jan) right below the HB in the park. Art Exhibitions & Events Calendar for The Banana Factory - Bethlehem's Cultural Arts & Education Center (http://www.bananafactory.org/exhibits/calendar.asp - broken link)
Da Vinci Science Center, Allentown, PA

Bethlehem is alive in the spring summer and fall and concentrates so much energy on Christmas that there are not as many activities in January. Depending on where you are coming from, shopping might be a big attraction, but when I was taking my kids "home" to Bethlehem, they enjoyed the country markets, movies, sledding, local skilling and skating, museums, and just plain looking around.In the summer we took them to the festivals, festivals, festivals, local carnivals, putt putt and golf, swimming, lightening bug catching, to the fireworks all over the area, and to the local sports events, as well as canoing on the canals, fishing, and hiking the local traiils along the monocacy and in the surrounding hills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley