Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 11:26 AM

248 posts, read 798,564 times

Advertisements

i am just SO SICK of taking my life (and my daughters) in my hands when i drive on back roads lately!!!! there just ISNT enough room for bikers and cars on these roads. i think biking is great and i admire those that go out and do it - but when there are 2 and 3 of you on back roads with blind corners - that is just not safe for ANYONE. the shoulders aren't wide enough for the bikers to get over far enough to be safe. cars go around them and end up in the other lane. i witnessed an almost accident of a car that was going around a biker on a corner... very scary stuff.

really what the area needs to do is invest in bike lanes. then everyone is safe. with so many more people out and about on bikes, i think they are becoming a neccesity rather then a luxery.

<~~~~~~~ steps down off soap box.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 09:36 AM

205 posts, read 821,205 times
I must confess that I may be one of those people who you encounter on the roads. I bike to work sometimes, and I need to take some back roads to cut across the area. (can't really bike on 22) I always make sure to pull over to the side or even stop and get off my bike to let a car pass on the narrow roads. It's tough that this area does not have bike lanes, or even crosswalks at a lot of places. It's frustrating to get to an intersection, and see a no pedestrians sign.

If you're on the East side of 512 trying to cross at Bro(a)dhead/Crawford or Southfield, you legally cannot walk across the road. Which is ridiculous being that so many businesses are on the East side, and there's a shopping center just across 512 on Crawford. I guess mcall's road warrior might be a better place for this rant, I've read many similar things in there.

And what's with the spelling of Brodhead? Some street signs say "Brodhead" and others say "Broadhead", even google maps has both.

Old 10-21-2008, 11:37 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,667,671 times
We recently came across a group of bikers and it took them forever to move to the right. Meanwhile we are still going forward, and a bend was coming up. We almost got into a side to side accident ourselves, which a car going in the other direction. We just could not all fit.
The bikers never blinked, not a care in the world.........Yikes!

Old 10-21-2008, 11:52 AM

1,032 posts, read 4,264,732 times
I agree!

There is a very curvy, narrow road by me (Mill Creek) that bikers are always riding down. As far as I'm concerned, bike where you want - I just think they are insane to take their life in their hands on that road.

Old 10-23-2008, 06:11 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
We have the same problem up here in NEPA. I'm an avid runner, but many roads up here don't have shoulders either so I've had a tremendous number of close-calls. Why can't PA afford to invest in better safety measures for pedestrians and cyclists alike?

Old 10-23-2008, 08:10 AM

PA is not really known for their ability to fix up the roads:
:::Philebrity…media, culture, music and more::: » Blog Archive » PBS: I-95 Could Be The Next Great Bridge Disaster

This is somewhat related I suppose.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:20 AM

923 posts, read 3,095,071 times
Palm Beach County, FL - Route A1A between Palm Beach and Delray Beach bikers have the right of way. And these hotshots don't move over, you have to follow them !!!! Its a beautiful route to drive right next to the ocean, but tooooo much trouble !!!!

Old 10-23-2008, 08:44 AM

1,032 posts, read 4,264,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkotb View Post
Palm Beach County, FL - Route A1A between Palm Beach and Delray Beach bikers have the right of way. And these hotshots don't move over, you have to follow them !!!! Its a beautiful route to drive right next to the ocean, but tooooo much trouble !!!!
That's dangerous! You get some out of towner who doesn't know the rules and he may takeout a few bikers.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:10 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
I really don't want to be the one to disagree here, but in Pennsylvania, bikes are classified as vehicles and have all of the same rights to the road as cars. If you almost get in an accident passing a bike, maybe you should wait until it is clear before trying to pass? Legally a cyclist can take the whole lane if they want to...

Old 10-29-2008, 08:42 AM

I feel like adding to this rant today

In PA, if a cyclist is going slower than the "prevailing" speed of the roadway, they must limit themselves to the shoulder, unless they are using a turning lane. Cyclists can also use sidewalks, as long as it's not in the business area of the town, they just need to yield to pedestrians.

But the problem is that the roads were not designed to accommodate both automobile and bicycle traffic effectively. Most of the roads were designed for slow moving vehicles, and updated to accommodate cars. The people on bikes have just as much of a right to use the roads as do the people in cars, and there is no reason they cannot share the road effectively.

We can blame PennDOT for building these nice one-purpose roads, the Cyclists for taking these roads (although at an average 15mph, these roads can significantly shorten the ride), or the Automobile drivers for not paying attention or wanting to slow down for these Cyclists.

It's easiest to blame PennDOT, but it really comes down to personal responsibility on both the Drivers and the Cyclists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley