Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 06:05 PM

41 posts, read 190,560 times

Advertisements

Any thoughts on good school districts for academics and sports for children from 1st grade through high school. Looking at some areas in PA to relocate and need more suggestions so far we're looking at Parkland, Pleasant Valley, and Pocono Mountain East.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 06:46 PM

13,249 posts, read 33,384,411 times
Parkland is by far a better school district then the other two, at least on paper. Have you been to this Search for Pennsylvania public schools. website? I am only familiar with Parkland, perhaps another poster has done the same search as you. We never looked as far north as Pleasant Valley or Pocono Mt.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-01-2009, 06:57 PM

I've also heard East Penn is good is that further in Lehigh Valley?

Old 01-01-2009, 09:30 PM

Yes, East Penn and Parkland are the two top rated districts in the Lehigh Valley. Southern Lehigh, my school district, is also rated very well but it's high school is about one third the size of the other two (an advantage in our eyes) and the homes tend to be pricer. East Penn has the towns of Emmaus and Macungie and Parkland has parts of Allentown.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:48 PM

86 posts, read 191,706 times
I know both areas very well. Besides a good school, what are you looking for, for your family. All the schools noted are good, but when you are leaving NY, (I know all of it well also) moving to PA is a big, very big change. And that may be why you are relocating, for change. Not sure if you know other people who have moved to the areas you mentioned, but the Poconos and the Lehigh Valley are also very different from each other.

Old 01-01-2009, 11:06 PM

We are looking to leave city life behind. My husband has to commute because the pay in NYC is in no comparison to anywhere else (therefore need shortest commute time possible). We want a slower pace, a better environment for the children. My kids are in catholic school and are in accelerated classes, so good academics are vital to our decision but can't afford to pay for private schooling for 3 children anymore. We want to involve the kids in sports but have limited ability to do so cause of the time we both have to donate to work and financially can't afford to do so. We can't afford to live in an expensive part of PA, because of the market I doubt we will be able to sell our house in NYC for what its worth so we have to carry 2 mortgages. We basically just want good school, nice friendly neighborhood to live in where my kids have space to roam and not have to worry about someone snatching them from the front of the house or a stray bullet hittin' them. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:26 AM

86 posts, read 191,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by king91274 View Post
We are looking to leave city life behind. My husband has to commute because the pay in NYC is in no comparison to anywhere else (therefore need shortest commute time possible). We want a slower pace, a better environment for the children. My kids are in catholic school and are in accelerated classes, so good academics are vital to our decision but can't afford to pay for private schooling for 3 children anymore. We want to involve the kids in sports but have limited ability to do so cause of the time we both have to donate to work and financially can't afford to do so. We can't afford to live in an expensive part of PA, because of the market I doubt we will be able to sell our house in NYC for what its worth so we have to carry 2 mortgages. We basically just want good school, nice friendly neighborhood to live in where my kids have space to roam and not have to worry about someone snatching them from the front of the house or a stray bullet hittin' them. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
The commute from Parkland and East Penn Schools area will be longer to NYC. The commute from the Poconos may be the best bet when trying to get to NYC and if you are looking to leave city life behind the Poconos offers a nice setting, and the schools are good, looks like you have done your research on the two you mentioned already. Of course the closer you live to Route 80, the easier the commute will be. A suggestion is try and pick a home that is closer to a major highway, which will easily get you to route 80 or route 33 or even if you want to shoot over to the Lehigh Valley from time to time, that is close enough. The area is so serene. Winter can look very blah like anywhere else, but when the trees are bloomed, talk about green, wow. Plenty of nice homes that are not to far off the beatin track....but still located in a real lush setting with just enough nature without feeling like you live in the middle of nowhere. Do your research well, and visit often before you make a decision. You can never do enough research, especially when you have children to think about. Also remember this, there is a lot of negativity out there right now, with all that is going on in the world, so consider the source when it comes to listening or reading. Just go with your gut feeling, as you know your family best. I wish you well with your search.

Old 01-02-2009, 01:49 PM

I agree that the commute to NYC from Parkland or East Penn is not an easy one. The housing prices and the schools east of Bethlehem and Allentown are not rated as high, so you are going to have to decide what your priorities are or if those numbers even matter to you. Make sure to pay special attention to the HS and MS scores, most elementary schools test pretty high.

Realtors, See This.

Old 01-05-2009, 04:56 AM

1,032 posts, read 4,253,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by king91274 View Post
I live in the East Penn SD and am very happy with it! We moved here a year ago after a long search of the Lehigh Valley.

I am from Long Island, and also used to live in northeast PA - NO COMPARISON!! The Lehigh Valley area is so much nicer than NEPA (IMO).

Also, the Pocono area has a lot of problems in recent years because of all the families who moved there and still work in NYC - their kids are alone and unsupervised much of the time, and we all know no good can come of this.

Commuting from either area to NYC is hell - I have friends in both areas who do it, and it's awful. There is something to be said for quality of life, and spending 4+ hours a day on the road does not make for a quality life (again, IMO).

Old 01-05-2009, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I agree that the commute to NYC from Parkland or East Penn is not an easy one. Make sure to pay special attention to the HS and MS scores, most elementary schools test pretty high.
Thanks for that school info, I was just looking at elementary and ms scores. We've discussed commuting and I plan to stay home with the kiddies while my hubby brings home the bacon. Hubby works nights now so I think he'll beat traffic, only one way to find out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley