Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2009, 06:11 AM

3 posts, read 16,884 times

Advertisements

Mill creek Pa.
I would like any info about an old arms co. from mill creek. The name of the co. is D NIPPES. I've got an old percussion rifle with markings on it stating that it was made by D Nippes Mill Creek Pa. the model number is 1842 and it has US stamped on it as well. Could this be a civil war gun?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 09:40 PM

143 posts, read 463,835 times
1 of 1
Nippes M. 1840 Musket SELLER NAMEDennis Fulmer Antique Firearms
(Feedback 100% View) SELLER STOCK #CATEGORYAntique (Pre-1899) Rifles - Perc. Misc. CONDITIONUsed - See Item Description.Price: $1,495.00

D.S. Nippes Model 1840 Maynard Tape Primed conversion Musket, (Very Rare) 69 cal Rifled Bore VG plus , real nice bore, Mech VG plus, Wood VG plus with inspector markings and appears to have had an excellent repair to the wrist area. Has a 42” Rd barrel with bayonet lug on the underside. Has a orig. US marked bayonet included. The breech of the barrel is marked JH US proofed and dated 1842 . Has orig. 3 barrel bands and orig. sling swivels. The sling and ramrod are replacements. Has an original US marked buttplate. The lockplate has the correct conversion hammer and bolster but the Maynard parts are missing as most of them were removed. The rear of the lockplate is marked Mill Creek PA 1843 , The markings D.Nippes US and eagle markings are not visible due to the conversion.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:46 PM

143 posts, read 463,835 times
Here is a little more just do a web search and a lot will come up.

Reports from the Court of Claims ... - Google Book Search

Old 02-25-2009, 05:37 AM

3 posts, read 16,884 times
Thanks Dutchman, very helpful.... very interesting...

Old 03-26-2009, 09:05 PM

1 posts, read 7,622 times
Matt,

Wow! What a find.

I am actually a descendant of Daniel Nippes. My name is Daniel and Nippes is my mother's maiden name. I have visited the Mill Creek plant in 1997 (and Daniel's grave) and I am very interested in all things related to Nippes Rifles. If you are interested in selling your rifle (I have no idea how much it is worth) shoot me an email: sixsigmadan@comcast.net. Even if you are not interested in selling it, I'd like to know how much it is worth and, if it wouldn't be too much trouble, could you please send me some photographs of the rifle. Just knowing one exists with the markings still on it has made my day.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:51 PM

2 posts, read 10,695 times
I also have one of the guns. Says, Mill Creek Pa 1845. D. Nippes & US. Would love to learn anything about it. The story goes that my grandfather found this gun in a barn near Corry,Pa around 1915.

Old 11-20-2011, 02:32 PM

1 posts, read 5,502 times
I have a long rifle, smooth bore musket, flintlock. It says Nippes & Co Phila. on the side etched into the metal. On the bottom the wood is marked 27th Regt. and another place has the initials CT

I believe it may be a war of 1812 rifle made by Nippes on Mill Creek. I live in Kentucky and I acquired this rifle from an old country family many years ago. I have read that a famous group of men from Kentucky rode as part f the 27th regiment, so I suspect this belonged to one of them.

Anyone know where I can get more info about this rifle. I need to sell it and want to find out it's true value. Everything seems to work fine on it, but I have not fired it.

Thanks,
Steve

Old 11-30-2011, 03:21 PM

5 posts, read 12,243 times
American Spirit, shoot me a message and a photo of your musket and I'll identify it for you, although from the date on the lockplate I'd immagine you have a M1816 contract. I'd be interested depending on the condition and price you wanted.

Old 05-04-2020, 04:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,745 times
GarrettG,
I realize your post is years old, but I found the thread via a web search.
If you're still around, may I send you info/photos about a "D.NIPPES/US" and "MILL CREEK PA 1843" Model 1840 musket (I assume) that I inherited from my Father-in-law?

If anybody else cares to chime in with info, please do.

Thanks! ... Alan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley