U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2007, 09:41 AM

62 posts, read 326,311 times

Advertisements

Any thoughts or comments? We are looking at a few homes in that School District. Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2007, 11:10 AM

1,518 posts, read 6,601,033 times
Let's see, my parents graduated from there in 1958. Do you think it's changed much? LOL!

Seriously, though, I think it's a very good school district. My mom grew up on Lehigh Street on one side of the river and my dad grew up on Broadway on the other side of the river, right across from the old jail. The town used to be so depressed - and depressing - but it's really gone through a major transformation. I don't have family there any more so we don't visit at all or drive through much, but I see good things in the newspapers and on the news about the town - except for the timing of the traffic lights at courthouse square, but they're working on that.

Good luck to you in your house hunt.

Old 03-21-2007, 12:19 PM

Thanks, we are going to PA on the 7th of April to look at homes in that district and a few others in the Pocono Region (effort, Brodheadsville, etc) and then down to the Lehigh valley and I just wanted to get a feel. I have seen newspapers articles on the Jim Thorpe SD and thought that maybe people who live there or who send their kids there would have something to add.

Old 03-22-2007, 08:30 PM

142 posts, read 572,367 times
Default dunno much about the schools..but..

I like to head down there once and awhile. It's not too far from Drums. I love that little town. It's the kind of town you wanted to have with your model train set when you were a kid ..

Old 03-26-2007, 07:28 AM

22 posts, read 88,896 times
Default my girls go to jim thorpe..

..and I'm pleased w/ both the Elementary & High School. I have one in 2nd grade and she's thriving. My 10th grader has IEP (spec ed) and her teachers are very attentive. The superintendent is absolutely loveable! He has such enthusiasm, though he's retiring this year

Seems to be a big sports town. High School Football is the place to be on a Friday night in the fall. I've always ignored sports but even I got my spirit towel and red/white/blue beads!! There's a strong sense of community here and lots of family activities.

May I suggest Penn Forest Township? We're about 10 min from town. There are many subdivisions w/ acre or 1/2 acre lots. No stop lights, one main "highway". You'll drive about 25 min to get to groceries or Wal-Mart, but it's so worth it!! And we have no township taxes (for this & the past few years anyway).

Not much for work, I'm a Realtor, my hubby owns a contracting company, so we're able to stay close to home. Most people travel. Allentown is about 45 mins.

Good luck, wherever you decide.

Old 03-26-2007, 10:19 AM

Thanks Jimthorpe...that is great information and insight into that community. We are so overloaded with information that it is hard to grasp until we actually move to the area, but I am one for a strong sense of community. We have moved so many times while living on LI that I want to put down "roots" and stay in one place for awhile so mu children can feel grounded. I have heard many good things about that area, so hopefully we'll get to see more of it when we make our trip to PA on April 7th. Thanks for the help!

Old 07-23-2007, 03:23 AM

11 posts, read 53,757 times
Hi JimThorpe! We are looking into moving to the Poconos. I was wondering about that school district, I have a 7 and 5 year old. I'm not sure of all the areas to look into, can you give me some ideas? Your area sounds great with the sports and family activities. I don't want to move into the middle of nowhere....Thanks for your help!

Old 08-09-2007, 07:47 PM

98 posts, read 425,957 times
Jim Thorpe does not have much in family activities. This is small town usa. Football is a major sport for all the schools in the area. The town has one grocery store which was remodled a few years back. It use to be horrible.
Walmart in Lehighton is the only place to buy your basics but we are tired of Chinamart and drove 40 minutes to Allentown.

Our kids are grown up so we can't help you on the school side. Jim Thorpe did build a new elementary near Albrightsville because of the increase in population in that area.

To be honest(I worked Real Estate as well in the Poconos) the people in upper Jim Thorpe(Bear Creek Lakes,Indian Mt Lakes, Albrightsville,etc.), are mostly from New York and New Jersey. The locals live in Older Jim Thorpe(Mauch Chunk) mainly because they can not afford the more expensive homes up in those areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley