U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2009, 11:13 AM

15 posts, read 64,959 times

Advertisements

We have been back and forth between Fla. and Pa. the past couple of years and I think we have finally decided to move back to Pa. and stay put there.
Three years ago we lived in York County ~beautiful. We lived in a small town within a great school district.
My husband is going to work for the same company he did 3 years ago but this time they would like him to work in Allentown. We know nothing about the area.
We have 4 children - one will be going into 10th grade, one in 8th, one in 6th and one in Kindergarten. We really want to live in a smaller town but with a great school district --and one that also has a good athletic department.
I have been searching through the posts here and keep seeing the town of "Emmaus" and "Coopersburg"(I believe that was the name) brought up ~ are these towns within good school districts? How far is shopping? Can you share the feel of these towns? Are they warm and friendly? Is there a good Parks and Rec program? Fun things for the children to do?
We are looking to rent the first year. I have taken a look at Craigslist in the Lehigh Valley section but don't find many single homes listed. Are there other avenues to search for homes? Do you know of any local realtors willing to help out?
Thanks for any insight you can share.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 06:57 PM

12,878 posts, read 29,576,874 times
beachy,
Both Emmaus and Coopersburg are nice towns in great School Districts. I live just outside of Coopersburg and feel that my shopping needs are easily met, especially since Target and Best Buy came to Quakertown and are easily accessed via back roads within about 10 minutes. Grocery store, pizza, etc are even closer. Clothing stores - Welcome to The Promenade Shops at Saucon Valley are also very close.

But, even more importantly, the schools in Southern Lehigh School district are just right for our family. I've had two kids go through and graduate and a current HS sophomore. There are classes for all level of kids; special needs or gifted or kids that want to take AP classes and plenty of clubs and sports too. There are only three elementary schools, one middle (grades 6-8) and one HS with almost 1,000 students. Next fall they are adding an intermediate school which will take the kids in 4th to 6th grade to make more room in the elementary and middle schools which are crowded now. Our boys basketball team just won the district title, soccer often does the same, field hockey is very good and our one of tennis players won the state title. Football.... Well, last year we won more then we ever have! Our marching band is better.

The town itself is just what we wanted - small and homey. I work at the local library. When I go to the grocery store, it never fails that I see at least one person that I know, ditto the post office or CVS. There is a halloween parade in the fall, festivals, a local farmers market, etc. No bars in town but there are four churches. Between Coopersburg and Center Valley (also Southern Lehigh School district) there are many restaurants to choose from plus the popular Coopersburg Diner, Burger King and Subway. My kids did Boy and Girl Scouts and soccer and baseball. Lots of young kids do karate or dance too. Athletics There is also a local Mom's club. Our library also has programs throughout the year for kids and adults: Southern Lehigh Public Library, Center Valley, PA

Emmaus (East Penn School district) is larger then Coopersburg and has a nicer Main Street, higher rated schools (but they are more crowded and quite large), and overall lower priced housing. I enjoy visiting Emmaus, especially the local old movie theater that plays newish movies at good prices. It's my second favorite town and I'm happy to recommend it.

Parkland School district has very well rated schools but doesn't really have a town, it's more of an area.

Here's the Morning Call (local paper) on line. Real Estate, Homes, New Construction, Mortgages, Classifieds, Newspaper Classifieds from Allentown, Bethlehem, Easton and the Lehigh Valley in The Morning Call and mcall.com -- themorningcall.com That should give you enough to start with!

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:35 PM

18 posts, read 59,349 times
Hanover Township is great !!! In the middle of the Valley!

Old 07-06-2009, 09:32 PM

143 posts, read 423,447 times
Smile Toobusytoday is right on track.

Toobusytoday is right on track. Some great suggestions and ideas.

Just stay out of Allentown, not a good place.

All Allentown's' parks are open to the public and we have some GREAT ONES! You can always drive to Allentowns Parks and live somewhere else close by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley