Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2009, 06:47 PM

2 posts, read 3,478 times

Advertisements

I'm a single professional, no kids... The job is amazing, w/a 6-figure salary, and lots of travel. I've relo'd several times (L.A., SF, London, Atlanta, Seattle, Austin) and usually like to live downtown or in a suburb that has lots of shops, cafes, etc. within walking distance. I hope not to be single forever, so I want to be in an area where I can develop a social life.
I'm not sure if I will buy or rent, but as a single woman, I want an upscale, safe, low-crime area. Also, I have several friends in NYC so plan on spending lots of weekends in the city. Is there a a metro from Lehigh Valley? if so, I would be interested in living along the line.

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Gloria
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 07:58 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,111,576 times
The historic district of downtown Bethlehem is probably best for you. Easy walk to Main/Broad Streets. It's nothing like the big cities, but as good as it gets around the Lehigh Valley.

Old 03-13-2009, 07:09 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,519,625 times
John is right. In the Lehigh Valley, the best city for you would be Bethlehem. Bad news about the rail service - there's nothing here. However, there are a couple of bus lines. My daughter goes to NYC about once a month to visit friends and finds it very convenient. The Lehigh Valley international airport is also a great small airport, super easy to get to, park etc.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:01 AM

2 posts, read 3,478 times
The job is near downtown Allentown, and actually most of the homes I like have Allentown addresses - dont know where they are but look newish, upscale, granite countertops, hardwoods, etc. Is it really that bad??? If I have an attached garage and install an alarm system shouldnt it be reasonably safe? I've lived in large cities so I'm used to being cautious, but some of these posts make Allentown sound like its open gang warfare and martial law.

Last edited by missimpossible; 03-13-2009 at 08:02 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-13-2009, 09:25 AM

205 posts, read 821,038 times
Part of Allentown are pretty bad, but any part of the city where you can get an attached garage probably should be ok. The crime in Allentown is concentrated in a fairly small area.

There are a lot of areas with an Allentown address that aren't really in Allentown itself. But if you're looking for a nice downtown, Bethlehem has the most yuppie downtown. I really like the small downtown in Easton too.

There are buses to New York that run like every hour on weekends, they're about $35 round trip (and 2 hours each way). There's a bus to Philly as well. ABE is an awesome airport, and PHL and EWR are close enough to use as well.

We don't have much public transportation here, so I hope you like driving!

The Valley is a pretty cool place because you have access to New York and Philly, but still have small downtown areas, and (relatively) lots of land. I also feel that a lot of people who live here just go to Philly or New York, and don't really put a whole lot of effort into making the Valley itself better.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:40 AM

242 posts, read 837,211 times
Default Out on a limb....

based everything that was said....I would look at Emmaus and the west end of allentown, as well as bethlehem. The properties that you were mentioning in Allentown would appear to be in the 18104 area which is a very desirable west end location.

That said bethlehem would definitly give you more culture and events....and emmaus would give some walkabout opportunities with the shopes however may be lacking with the cafes. Keep your eyes open in these areas and you will not doubt have success...Good Luck with the Relo.

Thanks
Jeff

Old 03-13-2009, 09:43 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,519,625 times
You know that saying about the three most important things in real Estate? Location, location, location. You said in you opening post that you wanted,

Quote:
Originally Posted by missimpossible View Post
I' I've relo'd several times (L.A., SF, London, Atlanta, Seattle, Austin) and usually like to live downtown or in a suburb that has lots of shops, cafes, etc. within walking distance. I hope not to be single forever, so I want to be in an area where I can develop a social life.
I'm not sure if I will buy or rent, but as a single woman, I want an upscale, safe, low-crime area.
Gloria
Downtown Allentown has none of the above, but downtown Bethlehem has all of the above.

There are nice houses in West Allentown but you won't be within walking distance of more then one or two stores. So, it's not just safety it's the quality of life and being able to walk to places that you've said you want.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 03-13-2009, 12:42 PM

Location: Lived Large in Parsippany NJ - Lived Larger in Livingston, NJ -- Now Living Huge in Bethlehem PA
466 posts, read 2,199,956 times
Like "TooBusy" stated "downtown Bethlehem has it all" -- I live in Bethlehem on Schoenersville Rd less than two minutes from the LVH (Muhlenberg) branch. I'm a transplant from NJ and in the techie field as well and all I can say is I've never had any regrets with my relocation to Bethlehem. I have family and friends in NY & NJ and drive down almost every weekend - love the drive.

==============

Quote:
Originally Posted by missimpossible View Post
I'm a single professional, no kids... The job is amazing, w/a 6-figure salary, and lots of travel. I've relo'd several times (L.A., SF, London, Atlanta, Seattle, Austin) and usually like to live downtown or in a suburb that has lots of shops, cafes, etc. within walking distance. I hope not to be single forever, so I want to be in an area where I can develop a social life.
I'm not sure if I will buy or rent, but as a single woman, I want an upscale, safe, low-crime area. Also, I have several friends in NYC so plan on spending lots of weekends in the city. Is there a a metro from Lehigh Valley? if so, I would be interested in living along the line.

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Gloria
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley