U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2009, 04:43 PM

6 posts, read 35,441 times

Advertisements

I am relocating from Brooklyn, NY to the Lehigh Valley area so any advice would be appreciated. Hubby will be working in Allentown and I currently work in the Pocono area but looking for work closer. I looked into P and P mills and Far lofts as I want luxury housing. I am willing to spend up to $1500 a month on rent. I want to be near restaurants, shopping and a night life. I know it will not be like NYC but I can go back most weekends to get my fix. I have read that Allentown is a high crime area but relative to Brooklyn do you think it is more or less crime. Please only comment on that if you are familiar with the Bk, NY area as this is all I can base my comparisons on. I have no children so I dont care about school districts. So if anyone can guide my towards luxury apartments/lofts and an area that meets my requirements that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 04:33 PM

93 posts, read 298,206 times
Allentown at it's worst is like the crappy - though not East New York/Brownsville crappy - parts of Brooklyn. At it's best it is fairly suburban and nicer than anywhere I've seen in Brooklyn. But by nicer I don't mean more affluent or charming than, say, Brooklyn Heights, just more peaceful.

Bethlehem is really the only city where you're going to get an urban environment that has a lot of what you'd find in the better, close to Manhattan, Brooklyn neighborhoods.

Old 04-24-2009, 05:14 PM

297 posts, read 455,264 times
Allentown is as ghetto as it gets. It's like the South Bronx. Allentown has a ton of crime, gangs, and drug dealers. It's not a place you would want to live or hang around after dark. As the first poster said, Bethlehem might be what you're looking for, specifically around Lehigh U. Lots of interesting stuff going on around there and some nice apts that have been fixed up. Other than that, you're screwed. The next closest place that comes to mind would be Whitehall, since it has tons of apts, is close to rt.22, the mall, tons of restaurants, etc. I'm not sure of luxury apts in the area, but you could probably find a real nice townhouse or condo for your price.

Old 04-25-2009, 05:43 AM

13,150 posts, read 31,710,112 times
Luxury homes and night life and Allentown? I would look elsewhere.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:08 AM

6 posts, read 35,441 times
Took all advice into consideration and began looking outside of the allentown area. I am going to be looking at the following apartments and lofts:
P and P mills- 201 N. 3rd st. allentown
Farr Lofts- 739 Hamiliton St. allentown
The brook at Peachtree village- 1988 Presidential Dr. whitehall
woodmont mews- whitehall
Bethelehem Fields- 2515 Cherry lane bethlehem
Spring Creek- 6690 Hauser Place Macungie

If anyone has any knowledge of these apartments and the area please inform. If anyone can recommend a good realtor or house for rent site I would appreciate. Thanks

Old 05-03-2009, 09:31 AM

99 posts, read 320,765 times
Take a look at Riverport In Bethlehem...might be closer to 2,000 a month, but, guaranteed you'll love them! Google Wesley Works Real Estate and speak with Sarah Stauffer. Good luck!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley