Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 12:46 PM

7 posts, read 17,280 times

Advertisements

Hi, my husband & I moved here from Central NJ in 2004. Just wondering if there's anyone else in the Lehigh Valley who also moved here from Central Jersey or the state of NJ. Wondering how you like it here, having any trouble transitioning, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 03:10 PM

297 posts, read 502,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mawbey319 View Post
Hi, my husband & I moved here from Central NJ in 2004. Just wondering if there's anyone else in the Lehigh Valley who also moved here from Central Jersey or the state of NJ. Wondering how you like it here, having any trouble transitioning, etc?

I moved here from Essex Co. There are a lot of people moving to PA from NJ and NYC. It's the high taxes, high cost of housing, terrible schools, etc. It's a real shame. I hope PA doesn't become what NJ and NYC have become. I would have to move to Ohio then. I don't mind it here at all. The traffic is light, I live close to Rt.22 which is great for work. I wish there were more things to do though. The little bit of shopping around MacArthur Rd. just isn't enough for me.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:56 PM

3 posts, read 8,013 times
I moved to Allentown from the Princeton area in January 2001. I loved NJ, I've found the Lehigh Valley to be kind of unfriendly and cold. I've kind of settled in, but miss NJ a lot.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:12 PM

16 posts, read 50,352 times
I moved to Bethlehem from central NJ (Somerset/Morris county area) June 2008. I don't think I'll ever be used to it here, I miss "home"!

Old 04-29-2009, 12:31 AM

7 posts, read 17,280 times
Thanks for the responses. It will be 5 yrs this June that we have lived here, & while I love my house, I just simply cannot get used to it. Our home is old & we've spent a lot of time remodeling it. Our original plan was the "flip" it sometime down the road, but with the way the housing market is now it looks like we may be here forever. My husband works in NJ, my entire family & friends are in NJ. I am alone here with my young son most of the time & on the net & in person I've seen people say such nasty things to others that came here from NY or NJ. I want so badly to move back but we can't do it, we're stuck here. I've been at my wits end lately and have to retire myself to the fact that we will more than likely be here permanently. Long story on why we moved here. I feel like a fish out of water & I've tried, really I have. I
ve been social, donated to my community, gone places, socialized, etc etc. just isn't working. I have a son now who h ardly knows his grandparents & it's one big mess. I guess I have to accept the fact that this may be forever.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:16 PM

16 posts, read 50,352 times
I understand totally. My husband also still works in NJ and my family is all there too. I lived basically in the same town I grew up in until I moved here and my family is still in that town. I recently had a baby (our 4th child) and I refused to find a dr here so I went to the one in NJ I've been going to for years...and I even had my baby in NJ lol Her middle name is the name of my hometown and everything. And you're right, there are so many negative and nasty stuff that's said about/to people that are from NJ/NY, it really makes you feel like an outsider.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:47 PM

93 posts, read 308,670 times
Why on Earth would anyone expect everyone to be pleased when there is a mass influx of out of state people who come for cheaper houses rather than for the way of life that the natives enjoy and are accustomed to? The reaction is going to be especially negative if there is an element among the newcomers that fancies itself superior in some way, because let's face it, the out of staters driven to the LV make those long commutes to nicer houses because they are not very successful people in the metro NYC labor market where incomes are higher, but transplant so that they can live like they are. Meanwhile people who choose to live AND work in the LV because they like it there - and likely make less money as a result - are subjected to what are often less professionally successful transplants looking down on the place.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:57 PM

13,250 posts, read 33,399,774 times
I feel badly that those of you that moved here aren't happy. My husband and I have moved around quite a bit and have enjoyed every place we've lived and really like Pennsylvania. Great schools, and our neighbors are our friends. Neither of us were raised very close to family so it's not that big a deal that our parents and siblings don't live very close. I can't imagine staying someplace for years that didn't come to feel like home. Hope you guys can find something to like about the Lehigh Valley.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:32 AM

11 posts, read 37,574 times
Eeesh that was a very negative and assumptive comment about NJ/NYC'ers. Do you happen to know anything about NJ and the high-price way of life here? Even the "successful" folks who you may be referring to are struggling with the economy, poor schools, and corruption in this state. Don't assume people move to PA because they can't "keep up"...everyone under the sun in this state knows how living and working here can very much be in vain if you are trying to raise a family comfortably. I think that if you live anywhere your whole life and move to another state with no family or friends, anyone would feel depressed. I will add an element of difference though and say that, yes, I could see how moving to certain areas in PA from NJ or NY would be an adjustment in some ways, and would likely be felt the same the other way around as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eephus View Post
Why on Earth would anyone expect everyone to be pleased when there is a mass influx of out of state people who come for cheaper houses rather than for the way of life that the natives enjoy and are accustomed to? The reaction is going to be especially negative if there is an element among the newcomers that fancies itself superior in some way, because let's face it, the out of staters driven to the LV make those long commutes to nicer houses because they are not very successful people in the metro NYC labor market where incomes are higher, but transplant so that they can live like they are. Meanwhile people who choose to live AND work in the LV because they like it there - and likely make less money as a result - are subjected to what are often less professionally successful transplants looking down on the place.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:27 AM

13,250 posts, read 33,399,774 times
I can see feeling sad for a few months because you miss your hometown, but when you move with your immediate family, your focus should be on making a new life and becoming happy in the new place. We've moved about 10 times (three times with children) and have never known anyone in our new area before we got there. If things don't change and everyone is unhappy after a year then no amount of house or money is worth staying.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley