Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2009, 09:15 AM

2 posts, read 4,505 times

Advertisements

Good Morning,
My family and I are looking to make a move to PA and considering the LV area. We are moving so my wife can make a career change and we can still upgrade to a bigger house without breaking the bank. Living in NJ doesn't provide us that option as without her income we wouldn't be able to live where we currently live, and forget about upgrading because the taxes are out of control. She makes more than I do, but I don't make a bad living, and making a move to PA would make it so she could focus on her change and we could still live as we are accustomed to. We also have 2 young boys who are 4 and 2 and school districts are very important to us as the 4 year old is scheduled to start kindergarten this Fall. I guess once we find the school district we like, we'd be able to find a house in that district. I work in the medical industry and seeing as the area has a good selection of facilities also makes the area quite attractive. I would commute to my current job, but eventually would like to work closer to home. We've also considered moving to the Poconos area, but the info I've seen on here regarding that area has turned me away against it almost completely. Any help or info that can be provided would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 09:55 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,519,625 times
Why not use this format to help us help you? //www.city-data.com/forum/lehig...residents.html

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:04 AM

2 posts, read 4,505 times
When are you moving?
Anytime before September if possible

Where are you coming from?
Morris Cty, NJ

Why are you moving?
Cost of living mostly, wife will be changing careers, possibly going back to school

Where will you be working?
NJ

Have you been here yet?
Only in passing

Will you buy or rent?
Buy

If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend?
House - anywhere from 250-350K

Are you married or single? Do you have children?
married/2 kids 4 and 2

Do you prefer public or private schools?
public

Do you have pets?
yes

Do you want or need a yard?
yes

Are you keeping a car?
yes

Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet?
calm and quiet

What do you want to be closest to?
Shopping
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood?
No preference - just family friendly

Phillies or Mets?
Brewers actually - originally from the midwest and I worked for them for a few years after college

Old 05-25-2009, 07:07 AM

10 posts, read 25,984 times
My wife and I grew up in the Lehigh Valley moved away and came back to start a family. There are lots of good people in the Lehigh Valley You are interested in public schools and there are some very good public schools. I would recommend Parkland or East Penn (Emmaus High School). As in most places, avoid the city schools (i.e., Allentown School District). You say that your kids are 4 and 2. East Penn is building a brand new elementary school and a firehouse at the interesection of Willow and Saurerkraut Roads. There are many many many 250K - 350K houses with in a mile radius of that new school. Some are even new construction, if you prefer. My wife and I went with the new construction in the area near where the new school is being built and couldn't be happier. We had looked to buy existing but they couldn't compete with the new construction on price.

We know lots of people in the health care business in this area. The two main competing health networks, Lehigh Valley and St. Luke's. Both are excellent health systems.

I wonder what you heard about the LV being a bad place to live? The main things that I hear are that Allentown is a crime ridden dump taken over by gangs and that the natives (i.e., "dutchies" or PA Dutch) are as unfriendly as they come and hate outsiders (especially from NY/NJ). While I wouldn't walk around Allentwon counting my money out load in the middle of the night, it isn't all that bad. I have not found the people around here to be unfriendly at all. On the contrary, I have found that neighbors are very nice and consdierate. Anyway, if you are planning on spending 300K for a house, chances are that you'll live near people who are a bit more accepting (and maybe from NJ like yourself).

Good luck. I hope you find what you are looking for.

Old 05-25-2009, 10:17 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,519,625 times
A good site to compare schools is Search for Pennsylvania public schools. and SchoolMatters (http://www.schoolmatters.com/schools.aspx/q/page=sr/ust=PA/p=1/fp=1 - broken link) School districts surrounding Allentown and Bethlehem are Nazareth, Saucon Valley (includes the town of Hellertown), Southern Lehigh (includes Center Valley and Coopersburg), East Penn (includes the towns of Emmaus and Macungie) and Parkland (north and west of Allentown).

I like my small school district of Southern Lehigh. We're opening a new 4th-6th grade building this fall that will alleviate the overcrowding problem. Shopping is easy around here with the upscale Promenade Shops at the northern end of the school district, right off of route 78, and then mid to low price shopping in Quakertown (Target, Walmart, Kohls, Best Buy) just ten minutes south of Coopersburg. Welcome to The Promenade Shops at Saucon Valley

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:28 PM

1,032 posts, read 4,263,883 times
We moved to LV in the fall of 2007 from elsewhere in PA - but I'm originally from Long Island my husband is from NJ.

We relocated here for my husband's job which is in Bethlehem. Having 3 young sons, school district was the most importan thing. We had it narrowed down to the East Penn SD and the Paarkland SD. In the end, we settled on East Penn, because even though both SDs are highly rated, parkland schools are very spread out because the are is less densely populated than the area served by East Penn.

We are in Lower Macungie and LOVE it here! Seriously, we have lived in 4 different places in 8 years, and this area is by far our favorite! Since there are so many other transplants from NY/NJ and other places, it is very easy to make friends. It's harder to make friends when everyone around already has family and friends they grew up with.

There are houses in your price range in the area, and now is certainly the tiem to buy.

Best of luck to you!

Old 05-25-2009, 06:30 PM

1,032 posts, read 4,263,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearSwamped View Post
You say that your kids are 4 and 2. East Penn is building a brand new elementary school and a firehouse at the interesection of Willow and Saurerkraut Roads. There are many many many 250K - 350K houses with in a mile radius of that new school. Some are even new construction, if you prefer.
This were we live as well!

Old 05-30-2009, 11:00 PM

5 posts, read 27,118 times
Thumbs up Easton

I moved to Easton about 10 years ago and I have loved it ever since. I fell in love with Southside Easton right away. The home values here are fantastic. Easton has a great school system along with some great Students and Faculty. Easton hospital is a top notch health care facility along with other great senior facilities. It is home to many beautiful Churches. Easton is home to many good restaurants. The Police Department and other City Agencies do a fantastic job. The access to route 78 is direct, about a 3 minute drive. Makes it easy to commute in the winter. Bus service to New York is also right here on the Southside with no parking fees and more than ample parking. Local buses provide easy transportation throughout the entire Lehigh Valley. Convenient shopping, the list of benefits goes on and on. One thing I do know, I'm here to stay !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley