Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 09:19 AM

19 posts, read 48,723 times

Advertisements

My husband and I moved out here because of taxes, insurance and housing price. Like valentine92, we made a mistake of moving out to Macungie. It was too far away from our families, so we moved to Bethlehem where most of our neighbors are from NJ. My father has been trying to convince us to move back to the state, but we just can't see ourselves paying that much even for a better school system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 07:20 AM

2 posts, read 3,690 times
Yes- drive down 78 in NJ for an hour and count the number of people getting pulled over. That number will be twice as many as I have seen the whole time I've lived in PA. In NJ every cop seems to think you are transporting like 8 pounds of heroin in your vehicle no matter what. Also, everyone is all up in your business in NY and NJ. We had the woman who lived downstairs yell at us saying she sleeps during the day so could we please not walk around since she can hear us. The rent is completely ridiculous in NY and NJ. I paid $1200 a month in NJ for an apartment complex under 24 hour police surveillance filled with drugs, guns and bed bugs. They tried to evict us because we called the health department on them. We had to leave the apartment so they could fumigate and repair a rotted/ molded window yet we are now being sued for rent and they took our security deposit. In NY I paid $1600 for a studio, which was extremely cheap for the neighborhood and building. It is so much more relaxed over here in PA. The one thing I miss about NJ and NY is the food. There is also so much competition for jobs in NY and NJ that they will literally post ads wanting to pay people $7.50 an hour to make coffee yet they want them to have a college degree and are willing to pay you $8 to make coffee if you have an MBA.

Old 03-15-2010, 02:57 PM

45 posts, read 94,896 times
Moved from LI to PA. Number one reason was cost of living. Home prices on the island are crazy and the taxes are too. Moving to PA has allowed me to give my family a beautiful place to live without killing myself to pay for it. I miss the food and the ocean but it was worth the trade off. Besides a 2 hour car ride and I'm back on the island.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:01 PM

43 posts, read 106,619 times
I am seriously considering moving out of NY to PA. I live on Long Island and I can no longer afford to live there anymore. I'm struggling to get by, and it's time I move and start anew.

I'm looking for an apartment that is near public transportation and major shopping centers. Any suggestions will be appreciated!

Old 04-19-2010, 05:37 AM

19 posts, read 48,723 times
I agree that you can't find good food in this area. I still have to drive out to NJ and NY for restaurants and ethnic grocery stores.

Old 04-19-2010, 04:21 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,504,937 times
Not that it's a good thing, but there aren't a lot of ethnic restaurants because there's not a lot of diversity around here to support them. I've found good Chinese, Italian and Thai places though so I'm pretty happy.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:35 AM

783 posts, read 2,021,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhazula View Post
I am seriously considering moving out of NY to PA. I live on Long Island and I can no longer afford to live there anymore. I'm struggling to get by, and it's time I move and start anew.

I'm looking for an apartment that is near public transportation and major shopping centers. Any suggestions will be appreciated!
That's about as vague as it gets. Can you give us a budget so we can suggest some towns? Are you looking to live anywhere in PA, or specifically the Lehigh Valley? Do schools matter at all? Lehigh Valley isn't great when it comes to public transportation, but there are a fair amount of reasonably priced apts in Whitehall just off of the 22/MacArthur Rd area and there are busses that go by there and will take you down MacArthur Rd to the mall, walmart, and the rest of the shopping there. I would guess that they are around $850 for a 1BR, $1,000+ for a 2BR. Just a guess though. There are certainly other areas with nice apts, but not all of those places have decent bus transportation. And watch out for the city! Allentown is ghetttttto! Also, I moved from North Jersey and just loved Easton. Sure, some parts are rough, but it is a really beautiful place. I looked at these apts in Easton called General Lafayette and they were pretty nice, so check them out online. The reputation of Easton kind of scared me off though and I didn't move there. You will hear a lot of bad things about the place, but it is really nice looking in the fall when the leaves change, and it's so close to NJ. I don't think Wilson or Palmer is that bad, but people will act like you're nuts if you tell them you're considering moving to Easton. I'm not sure about the quality of Easton's public transporation either. You really need to get a cheap car.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:56 PM

836 posts, read 849,855 times
For all the people who moved to PA from NY and NJ, just one rule: DON"T ROOT FOR THE YANKS OR ANY OTHER NYC AREA SPORTS TEAMS!!!!!! Philly (and PA) fans are just too passionate!!!! You might as well convert!!!

From a former NYer by way of Brooklyn!!!!

Old 04-24-2010, 08:19 AM

I can afford to spend between $500 and $1000 a month for rent.

I'm specifically considering the Lehigh Valley area (except Allentown and Easton, not interested in moving to those areas)

As long as the town I move to has a decent public transportation system, I'll be okay.

Old 04-24-2010, 10:02 AM

When are you moving?: July or August 2010
Where are you coming from?: Baldwin Harbor, NY (Nassau County)
Why are you moving?: Too expensive to live on Long Island, and can no longer afford to rent there.
Where will you be working?: Not sure yet
Have you been here yet?: Not Yet, bull will be visiting the PA area next month (May 2010)
Will you buy or rent?: Rent
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft?: Apartment or Loft will do.
How much can you spend?: Between $500 and $1000 a month

Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up?: Walk-up

Are you married or single?: Single
Do you have children?: No children
Do you have pets? No
Do you want or need a yard?: No
Are you keeping a car?: No
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet?: I prefer calm and quiet

What do you want to be closest to?
Work: within 45 minutes of Whitehall
Shopping: Within walking distance or bus ride
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.): Within walking distance or bus ride

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood?: I I prefer a diverse neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley