Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2009, 05:34 PM

5 posts, read 22,481 times

Advertisements

Hi! My husband is from Perkasie in Bucks Co, and we are seriously considering a move to the area to be around family. We are currently living in Denver, CO, and we really love it here. It's hard to leave, but I think it would be good for my son to be around his extended family.

We're looking for a town with great schools, walkability/biking, and the chance to walk to shops, restaurants, parks, and bars. We joke that we are "looking for flavor" rather than the standard platter restaurant or pizza/hoagie shop. We tend to be more liberal than conservative in our thinking.

My favorite so far is Doylestown. I'm hoping to find a home rental, but it's not easy to find. So, my questions:

1) What towns do you recommend that are near Perkasie?

2) Where do you recommend I look for home rentals in the area? The only site that seems helpful is hotpads. It has rentals listed with real estate offices, but surely there must be somewhere to find listings from the landlords? Craigslist has been helpful in Denver, but not so much in Bucks.

3) If you live in the Perkasie area, do you find the drive to Doylestown and shopping areas like North Wales to be a pain? We've visited often, and I just get dizzy with all of the windy roads and commuting times. Very different from Colorado.

Thanks, and I really look forward to moving to such a beautiful area!

Last edited by Yac; 05-23-2016 at 02:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 06:12 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,139,299 times
You're better off moving 15-20 miles up the rd to Montgomerville. Tons of restaurants and stores galore.

Old 07-11-2009, 06:48 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,111,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
You're better off moving 15-20 miles up the rd to Montgomerville. Tons of restaurants and stores galore.
True, but not really "walkable" unless you want to risk getting mowed down by a car on Rt. 309.

Old 07-11-2009, 06:53 PM

Ha! That was my feeling of the North Wales/Montgomeryville area. Great shopping, not so great on the ambiance or quaint feel. I like Costco, but I doubt it's nice to walk to it.

I guess I should clarify. We like to walk to independent shops, restaurants, etc. Not big on the strip malls and chains.

Where would you look for rental homes on the Internet?

Thanks for the input!

Old 07-11-2009, 07:45 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,111,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perkasiebound View Post
Where would you look for rental homes on the Internet?
Craigslist may be worth a look, but it Bucks county rentals probably won't be as easily found there as they would in a more urban area. You also can try www.realtor.com which will have rentals that are listed by realtors. I am not familiar enough with that exact area to point you to anything more specific than that.

Old 07-12-2009, 11:35 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
I think Doylestown is a great walkable town, but pricey. Agree that craiglist craigslist: philadelphia classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events would be your best bet for rentals. Lower priced towns would be Quakertown and Phoenixville, both with revitalized main streets and good schools.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:32 AM

Thanks for the input!

How would you compare Quakertown to Doylestown in terms of availability of restaurants, walkability, and the people?

Old 07-20-2009, 06:34 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
Doylestown is more quirky, artsy and upscale and Quakertown is more down to earth. Quakertown has several antique and second hand stores. A strange but interesting Farmers Market. If I could afford both, I would choose Doylestown for their unique movie theater, restaurants and stores.. Here's an example. Recently a new shopping center opened up in Quakertown. They could have put in a Wegman's and a Costco. Instead they added an Aldi's and a are going to put in a Sam's Club. There is a very nice park in Quakertown and a great library.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley