Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 05:20 PM

10 posts, read 60,490 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking about moving to eastern Pennsylvania to be closer to our daughter who will be in the New York area for the foreseeable future. We now live in Reno, NV. We chose Pennsylvania because it will not tax my husbands retirement and the property taxes appear to be lower than New Jersey and New York.
Does anyone know about the Roseto, Bangor area? I'd appreciate any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2006, 07:38 PM

90 posts, read 381,576 times
Good evening, I am also looking at the Bangor area. I am presently living in Tennessee and moving to be close to my daughter in New Jersey. You are correct the New Jersey taxes are crazy.
What I have been able to find out about Bangor is that is a small town of about 5-6thous + , As one said it is stuck in the 50's. Which I would like that. If you do a google search on Bangor, Pa and go to relocation site it will show you all about the stat's there. Low crime and even what nationality of the people are.
I also know a friend in New Jersey that has family that lives in Bangor and confirms that it is a nice and safe place to live.
I hope that this helps.
Good luck in your relocation. I hope to be there soon. Waiting on my home in TN to sell. Hope it will not be long.

Old 11-26-2006, 08:30 PM

Default Roseto

Thanks so much for your post. Since we are so far away we have to rely on internet info for now, although we hope to come up that way when we go back for my daughter's graduation. We have been looking at real estate in the area which seems have prices much lower than in Reno. My husband is excited about the Italian restaurants and population in the area because he grew up in Brooklyn and would like to have access to that food and culture again. I'll look at the info you suggested.

Old 11-27-2006, 06:41 PM

Keep me posted on your move to Bangor. I hope your house sells soon. We hope to come in for a look around in May, and then possibly move a few months later. There doesn't seem to be much real estate in Roseto. Thanks again for your info.
LarnedGirl

Old 11-28-2006, 06:05 PM

90 posts, read 381,576 times
Good evening,
With the population in Bangor being 23.1% Italian, 22 % German, 13.7% Irish you know there will be wonderful food there....LOL
Realtor came by to view the house yesterday for a client that lives in New York. They will be coming in this weekend from New York. I just pray that my home will be the one she just loves.......
I am going to New Jersey for Christmas will let you know what I find in Pa. I plan to take a trip over to Bangor, Pen Argyl and Roseto.

Old 11-29-2006, 09:13 AM

59 posts, read 312,131 times
The slate belt is a very tranquil area, sure, like the coal region and parts of western pa, they're stuck in a time warp, but that can be appealing. Very safe towns, very little crime. There will be good food up there. you will surely have your choice of parmagiana,schnitzels and shepherds up there if you search for it. there is a bit of a rift within the sporting world up there between Bangor and Pen Argyl public people and Pius X people about "recruiting" for high school football, but beyond that minor,minor, neverceasing debate, so far as I know, Bangor is a community which gets along very well...If you're looking for Italian towns, there are some super-italian places up in the coal region too. I think Old Forge, Pittston and Dunmore are all over 35-40%. Not too familiar with Italian places since i'm Polish, but in the coal region you're one of three: polish, italian or irish, so you couldn't go wrong up there if you're looking for old world traditions, church festivals and good food. If you're of the catholic faith and might be looking for an italian\latin language mass, it may be very hard pressed to find. I know Our Lady of Mt. Carmel is an Italian parish up in Roseto, I think it's actually located on a place called Garibaldi street...if that doesn't tell you what the town makeup is, I don't know what will. it's disappointing though that most of the state's churches have done away with old world language masses, as I know of only a handful of polish churches which still do it in pennsylvania, and even fewer of other languages. Hope that pennsylvania is the place for you folks. Stick around, you just mike like our state enough to call it home...

Old 11-29-2006, 08:10 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,091,672 times
Default Bangor/Roseto

Hi,
I hope I can help you a little. I am living in the South now, but I was born in Pen Argyl and grew up in Bangor. I lived there until the early 60s and moved away to Phila. when in my early 20s. I am pretty familiar with the area and some of my family still lives there though my mom and sister now live in the Lehigh valley. I visit often and go to Bangor to see my old home a lot. I have great nostalgic feelings for the area. It was a Leave it to Beaver upbringing there. Doors left open, people walking, and real small town Mayberry feel. Roseto was all Italian--my dad was Italian --and Bangor was mainly Welsh and German-mostly Welsh. My mom is German and Welsh. There were Italian festivals-see Adrianna Trigiani's book The Queen of the Big TIme. It is about Roseto and the area there. The people are salt of the earth. The schools were good. That being said--be careful!
Bangor has fallen into disrepair and the downtown area looks unkempt. Many homes need paint and look the same as when I lived there but without a single bit of maintenance done to them. At some point I think the area will become revitalized due to its natural beauty and its proximity to NYC. It hasn't happened yet, however. There is no hospital in the immediate area. You must go to Easton or Stroudsburg. You must go there for shopping as well. We did that when I was there and I don't think I would want to do that again. It means a trek along not so good roads in winter where ice and slippery areas become a factor. The weather can be more severe than the Philly area or even the Lehigh Valley. Bangor is very hilly. Do you drive in snow-up steep hills?
Take a look-you may not mind it. See it in winter.Your husband is not going to get the atmosphere he wants there. It is too rundown and off the beaten track. I can make a suggestion. Nearby Nazareth is a wonderful little town-near everything and well-maintained with some charm. Bangor has no charm.
Bethlehem is a town that is also attractive. It is in the Lehigh Valley. Palmer Township is between Easton and Bangor and is also a possibility. Beautiful supermarkets, restaurants, including Italian for your husband, are available. There are educational institutions for cultural activities or to take classes. There are golf courses and fitness facilities. The Bangor/Roseto area depends greatly on this nearby Lehigh Valley for a lot of stuff. It is not far as the crow flies, but in the dark and the ice, it could be unpleasant. My mother lived in Bangor all of her life and after she and my dad retired they moved to Palmer Township for these reasons.
I don't want to discourage you completely. People are different in what appeals and what is unattractive. You may settle into Bangor and be perfectly content, but I suspect your husband will be driving to the nearby areas a lot. Tama

Old 12-01-2006, 09:10 AM

3 posts, read 12,705 times
I looked at a few homes in Bangor and it's an older rundown looking place, but the realtor did mention that Roseto was much nicer, however, not many homes for sale there as a result. Bangor doesn't have that quaintness you'd expect from a small town. Good Luck!

Old 12-01-2006, 09:28 AM

3 posts, read 15,746 times
Default will have to drive for great food

Hello...My experience w/the Bangor, Pen Argyl, Stroudsburg, Brodheadsville areas of NE PA is that great restaurant food/fine dining is not readily available. The general consensus of locals & others is that the Lehigh Valley area (Allentown, Bethlehem, Easton) is the closest place for great (???) food. Another post mentioned Pittston, Old Forge & Dunmore, which are at least 40 minutes west of Stroudsburg and much longer from Bangor; in the Wilkes Barre/Scranton region of PA. Good luck finding great food there also, although I would have to say that I had some great pizza at a little shop in Old Forge.
All the best...tz

Old 12-02-2006, 12:16 PM

I want to thank all who responded to my post. You've given us great information and lots to think about. We hope to make a trip there soon and you have given us enough good information to plan a useful look at the whole area.
Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley