U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2009, 06:45 PM

124 posts, read 315,598 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have found an area that we would like to purchase land and build on as soon as we sell our house. It is in Upper Nazareth (Bushkill) off of Bushkill Center Rd, north of rt 512 - high up there and we love it. Once my husband mentioned this to someone he works with that lives in Forks, he was told to beware of the KKK !!! He said not to be surprised if we see crosses burning at certain times of the year. Is this true? I have only found articles with KKK issues dating back to the 1920's....is this group still existant in Nazareth? I actually found an auction in Nazareth that was selling a KKK hat (supposed antique) in 2008 on Moorestown Rd. I have heard that they do still exist in PA but was thinking that they would be more in the "boonies" than right over the border, if you will.

I hope this doesn't turn into a "hot" topic....just looking for some knowledgeable info on this possible naive question. Thanks : )
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 07:07 AM

13,012 posts, read 30,792,219 times
Well, I've never seen anything about it in the newspaper and that would certainly be something that would make the front page. I did a google search and didn't find anything recent either. Hopefully, one of our posters that lives closer to Nazareth can give you a more definitive answer.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:08 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,659,743 times
I've lived in this area my entire life. When you cross Route 512 and head up toward the Blue Mountain, things can become much more rural very, very quickly. Take a drive back Old Grade Road or Skunk/Smith Gap Road in Moore Township, for example.

That being said, I do not recall any severe issues in our area involving the KKK. Years ago, a group wanted to do a KKK demonstration in downtown Bangor and it raised quite a stir, but I do not recall whether or not they actually ended up demonstrating. Maybe a group like the Anti-Defamation League would have some more information for you if you are worried?

I wish you lots of luck! I enjoy riding my bike back along the mountain on the sparsely-traveled roads, especially this time of the year.

Old 10-13-2009, 11:11 PM

61 posts, read 213,323 times
I've only heard one or two people mention any issues in that section. However it changes real quick the farther north and west you go. The closer you get towards the old coal towns and the poconos the more of this fringe element you will find.

Old 10-17-2009, 11:54 AM

124 posts, read 315,598 times
Thanks for the reassuring info. We are only a 1/2 mi north of 512. I actually would pefer rural to urban so this is why we have chosen to be a little further up. I just don't want to be so out there that we start seeing some strange things. It seems to be still close enough to everything that we wouldn't have any worries, but had to check with you guys after hearing about this from hubby's friend. Thanks everyone - again....loving this forum. Very helpful. ~Kelly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley