Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 08:05 PM

2 posts, read 43,523 times

Advertisements

That is a pretty nice area in allentown. I have a couple of friends that live there that like it. I would avoid anything east of 13th and south of sumner st.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 07:18 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,519,625 times
Good area generally. The Farmers Market is great! Allentown Fairgrounds Farmers Market - Allentown, Pennsylvania

Pennsynative also gave you a good suggestion about Emmaus. Easy commute and a great little town.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 10-22-2009, 02:40 PM

17 posts, read 60,333 times
My husband and I moved to Emmaus in April of this year and absolutely LOVE IT! It has a wonderful downtown with lots of shops that give it a quaint, small town feel. The Emmaus farmer's market (although it is now winding for the year) can't be beat! Stay away from downtown Allentown. Scary place!

Old 10-22-2009, 02:58 PM

I just remembered this crime map which will give you an idea of some recent crimes in the area: Lehigh Valley Crime Map: Police reports from Allentown, Easton, Bethlehem from The Morning Call

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:33 PM

2 posts, read 6,501 times
to reiterate what others here have said, 9th street is a pretty rough part of town. anything higher than 15th street is ok if you ask me.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:58 AM

245 posts, read 956,060 times
Thanks all! I am currently in town for a week now hunting high and low for a place to live. My husband works all day while I sit in our motel room in Allentown (off airport road) and search the internet. I've signed up with Locators Inc. (a small fee but they give you hundreds of rental listings, the landlords list for free & some will reimburse your fee if you rent with them). I am overwhelmed and exhausted by this task because every nice area with a suitable rental is already taken by the time I call. These nice areas go like hot cakes! I don't particularly like the "nicer" city area of Allentown, I've decided I am not a city girl at all. I've seen Historic Bethlehem and it's very nice, Easton is nice, Slatington I found very depressing....it seems like Macungie & Emmaus is where everyone wants to be & the rentals go fast. There's a rental in South Bethlehem but I'm getting the feeling from the landlord (w/o seeing it yet) that the area might be sketchy. Any ideas on that area? I'll do a search on this site also for any prior input.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:35 AM

245 posts, read 956,060 times
Default Awesome Link re: crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I just remembered this crime map which will give you an idea of some recent crimes in the area: Lehigh Valley Crime Map: Police reports from Allentown, Easton, Bethlehem from The Morning Call
This is a great link, very informative and pretty detailed about incidents/crime/accidents....you name it! Thanks so much!

Old 10-29-2009, 08:40 AM

Yes, the rental homes do go very fast. I passed by a house last week that had a sign in the front yard, and the next time I went by it two days later the sign was down. South Bethlehem is tricky. There have been actual home invasions there, so you'll need to really pay attention before deciding. If I was in your shoes, I would try to stay on the other side of the river if possible.

Realtors, See This.

Old 10-30-2009, 10:04 AM

208 posts, read 650,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly57 View Post
Thanks all! I am currently in town for a week now hunting high and low for a place to live. My husband works all day while I sit in our motel room in Allentown (off airport road) and search the internet. I've signed up with Locators Inc. (a small fee but they give you hundreds of rental listings, the landlords list for free & some will reimburse your fee if you rent with them). I am overwhelmed and exhausted by this task because every nice area with a suitable rental is already taken by the time I call. These nice areas go like hot cakes! I don't particularly like the "nicer" city area of Allentown, I've decided I am not a city girl at all. I've seen Historic Bethlehem and it's very nice, Easton is nice, Slatington I found very depressing....it seems like Macungie & Emmaus is where everyone wants to be & the rentals go fast. There's a rental in South Bethlehem but I'm getting the feeling from the landlord (w/o seeing it yet) that the area might be sketchy. Any ideas on that area? I'll do a search on this site also for any prior input.
Is your husband being relocated for this job through the company? If so, they should be supplying a realtor for you to work with that would help you find a nice rental and can take you around. Have you thought about checking craigslist?

Old 11-30-2009, 02:53 PM

702 posts, read 961,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonbubly View Post
to reiterate what others here have said, 9th street is a pretty rough part of town. anything higher than 15th street is ok if you ask me.
It's really too bad how far center-city Allentown has gone down the tubes. I remember living on N. 9th St. back in 1985. It was a little studio apt.; the address, I think, was in the 300s. It was between Chew and Turner, as I recall, and the All-American Diner (is it still called that?) was up the street. Back then 9th St. was virtually no worry at all, and you only had to worry once you went farther east to around 4th St. A couple years later I lived right around 7th & Turner Sts. That spot wasn't too bad either. Now a Northern Virginia resident, I'm thinking seriously about moving back to Allentown next year, but I am sure to steer clear of center city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley