U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 07:29 PM

135 posts, read 335,260 times

Advertisements

lol oh boy I bet there are some people in sales that come online to try and paint a pretty picture.

Blinky, prices are already down that much and it's very easy to find out the information.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 06:21 AM

12,870 posts, read 29,506,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp8276 View Post
I am looking to move from Bergen County NJ and need advice as to where the best places are in the Lehigh County area to live a grow a family.........anyone have any info or experiences they would like to share........

thanks in advance!

Back to Macungie talk please.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:28 PM

1 posts, read 3,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinky PA View Post
We also are transplants from Bergen County. My husband and I both went to Ridgewood High School and later lived in Midland Park. We moved to Lower Macungie in June of 2006 and really love it here. You get so much more house for your money, big beautiful lots and the people are really nice. So many people here are transplants from all over, but especially NJ and NY that everyone is trying to meet new friends. One of the things I really like about our development, which is called Graymoor by Pulte, is that we have sidewalks and streetlights. We have 2 young children and it is a great place to raise a family IMO.

The taxes are not cheap as some people might tell you but they are not as high as Bergen County and you are getting so much more house. THere are quite a few developments around here that you would probably want to look into...Brandywine I and II, Farmington Hills, Millcreek, Graymoor. And of course, there are always the older developments for resales.
I would be curious to know about Graymoor. Once our home sells, we might consider building there. I have two children (will be 8 and 12 this summer) and only hope there are a lot of kids their ages in this area. Can you share your experience? - Thanks, AR

Old 01-20-2010, 11:09 AM

17 posts, read 90,557 times
Default Graymoor

Abbe - Graymoor is extremely family friendly with the majority of the residents having children. As I said in a previous post, one of things I really like about this development is that there are sidewalks and streetlights. This is great for the kids because even the little ones can ride their bikes and not be in the street. There are still lots of new families moving in and new homesites being sold although I think they may be getting fairly close to being built out (maybe another year). Pulte has another development called Coldwater Crossing which is a mix of single family and townhomes but the Graymoor area and surrounding neighborhoods have a much nicer, more neighborhood feel to them. We have been very happy with our Pulte house and love the neighborhood. We have a beautiful view out our back windows of the mountain range (not sure the name if any) and the Bear Creek ski resort.

Coming from New Jersey, where the houses are on top of each other and every bit of land has long since been developed, it is so nice to see a bucolic setting like Lower Macungie. They have not been developing as quickly around here which is a good because we definitely don't want it to turn into anything like another NJ or NY (which it is very far from now). The schools here are excellent too. Both of my sons are in elementary school and I am really impressed with their teachers and the curriculum.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll be taking some trips out here to look around and see for yourself how beautiful it is. Let me know if there are any specific questions you have. Best of luck to you.

Old 01-22-2010, 04:28 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,971,897 times
Quote:
Abbe - Graymoor is extremely family friendly with the majority of the residents having children.
I second that - we too, live in Graymoor!

We have relocated quite a bit for my husband's job, and I can honestly say that this move has been the best! Since there are so many transplants, it is easy to make friends and fit right in.

Old 10-06-2010, 11:00 AM

5,441 posts, read 15,354,071 times
Quote:
We also are transplants from Bergen County. My husband and I both went to Ridgewood High School and later lived in Midland Park. We moved to Lower Macungie in June of 2006 and really love it here. You get so much more house for your money, big beautiful lots and the people are really nice. So many people here are transplants from all over, but especially NJ and NY that everyone is trying to meet new friends. One of the things I really like about our development, which is called Graymoor by Pulte, is that we have sidewalks and streetlights. We have 2 young children and it is a great place to raise a family IMO.

The taxes are not cheap as some people might tell you but they are not as high as Bergen County and you are getting so much more house. THere are quite a few developments around here that you would probably want to look into...Brandywine I and II, Farmington Hills, Millcreek, Graymoor. And of course, there are always the older developments for resales.

Wow ! I went to ridgewood high school and now live in midland park!

I wanted to know about this area. There is a job at Rodale I might be interested in. I am also really big into track cycling so that sort of cuts down on my 4 hours of driving on a weekend day.

Is there access to local food - any local farms that sell their own produce and eggs and meat?

for buying organic foods, is there any closer choice than Wegman's in Allentown. I know it's only 7 miles but i guess we are used to things being closer here.

I am not sure if we would want to live in a development.. the prices of these newer homes look great and I would love a nice new efficient home... but I would not know what to do with 2300 sq ft. Maybe a townhome. We do not want to live anywhere where they handle the grass for you if they use chemical pesticides and fertilizers on it. We are also a family with children (well 1 and a dog for now) and are concerned about toxins etc. In Graymor I guess you probably handle your own lawn plus there may be some community areas that are handled for you?

Also we like to grow a lot of vegetables and I am not sure how or if that fits in with development HOA rules or whatever?

Not opposed to having a townhome and having a plot at a community garden if there is such a thing. Or even just buying an acre of land somewhere close by to start one up. I am probably coming across pretty crunchy but we don't exactly fit in in Midland Park either - I am not sure if we would be any more normal or find any more similar minded people over that way.... Basically our hobbies are being outside, gardening , walking, hiking, biking... we're not SO crazy.

Last edited by joe moving; 10-06-2010 at 11:24 AM..

Old 10-06-2010, 11:27 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,537,132 times
Joe, as you probably know, Rodale is an awesome employer. Everyone I know who works there is very, very happy

I don't know if one of those developments would suit you and your family. I ride through on my bike and the smell of lawn pesticides is literally hanging in the air. Ugh. I also have encountered massive amounts of rude drivers in the Macungie area, and I'm an extremely considerate road cyclist who adheres to the rules of the road at all times! However, when you leave the developed areas, it is a true joy cycling on all the rural, little-traveled roads.

The Rodale organic farm is not too far away out in Maxatawny Township and offers CSA: Quiet Creek Farm - LocalHarvest

and there many other farms in western Lehigh/eastern Berks county (not sure of organic status, when I can't afford organic I strive to buy local).

As far as your love of outdoor hobbies, there are so many opportunities here. You know about the velodrome, with all the free/cheap classes and opportunities for kids, the wonderful Rodale Fitness Park across the street, hiking at Hawk Mountain, the Appalachian Trail, mountain biking, etc. I could go on and on!

Old 10-06-2010, 03:26 PM

5,441 posts, read 15,354,071 times
Thanks

i forgot all about localharvest, and it looks like there are a fair number of farms,farm markets, coops, etc. in the area.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:49 PM

12,870 posts, read 29,506,883 times
There are tons of local markets in this area, especially August through October. I like to go to the Emmaus farmers market on Sunday's after church for veggies, bread and cheese. I also pick apples and other fruit at Bob White acres in Lower Milford township. Bob White Acres - Coopersburg, PA It's out in the middle of nowhere and not one of those cutesy places, but great fruit and vegetables at good prices.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley