U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 06:13 PM

5 posts, read 9,953 times

Advertisements

I am looking to move from Bergen County NJ and need advice as to where the best places are in the Lehigh County area to live a grow a family.........anyone have any info or experiences they would like to share........

thanks in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 08:49 PM

1,187 posts, read 2,596,395 times
Others may have more detailed info, but you may want to start with Lower Macungie, Upper Macungie, and South Whitehall. There are others, but it all depends on how much $$ you want to spend on housing and where you will be working. There is a "sticky" at the top of this forum where you can provide some info on what you are looking for to get more direction.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:27 AM

17 posts, read 90,572 times
Default Macungie

We also are transplants from Bergen County. My husband and I both went to Ridgewood High School and later lived in Midland Park. We moved to Lower Macungie in June of 2006 and really love it here. You get so much more house for your money, big beautiful lots and the people are really nice. So many people here are transplants from all over, but especially NJ and NY that everyone is trying to meet new friends. One of the things I really like about our development, which is called Graymoor by Pulte, is that we have sidewalks and streetlights. We have 2 young children and it is a great place to raise a family IMO.

The taxes are not cheap as some people might tell you but they are not as high as Bergen County and you are getting so much more house. THere are quite a few developments around here that you would probably want to look into...Brandywine I and II, Farmington Hills, Millcreek, Graymoor. And of course, there are always the older developments for resales.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:00 AM

135 posts, read 335,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinky PA View Post
We also are transplants from Bergen County. My husband and I both went to Ridgewood High School and later lived in Midland Park. We moved to Lower Macungie in June of 2006 and really love it here. You get so much more house for your money, big beautiful lots and the people are really nice. So many people here are transplants from all over, but especially NJ and NY that everyone is trying to meet new friends. One of the things I really like about our development, which is called Graymoor by Pulte, is that we have sidewalks and streetlights. We have 2 young children and it is a great place to raise a family IMO.

The taxes are not cheap as some people might tell you but they are not as high as Bergen County and you are getting so much more house. THere are quite a few developments around here that you would probably want to look into...Brandywine I and II, Farmington Hills, Millcreek, Graymoor. And of course, there are always the older developments for resales.

And this possible transplant could buy a home there for about 25-40% cheaper than you paid in 2006. If this future transplant waits about another year they could get it for about 50% off 2006 values. If they wait a couple years they could get a home for 2000 prices. It's all about waiting out the storm.

MASSIVE 45% FALL FROM TODAYS VALUE

Case-Shiller Still Predicts Massive 45% Fall From Today’s Values : The Implode-o-Meter Blog

Latest Housing Numbers Are Quite Misleading

Latest Housing Numbers Are Quite Misleading -- Seeking Alpha

Old 12-01-2009, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinky PA View Post

that's funny......i went to Northern Valley Old Tappan and now live in Emerson......we were looking in the Pulte development this past weekend and really liked the whole area.....it'll be a complete life change for all of us......what kind of jobs are out there???

thanks!

Old 12-01-2009, 08:11 PM

12,870 posts, read 29,517,912 times
The job market is tight here, as it is most everywhere. I'm sure you won't be moving without one, will you?

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:28 PM

Don't move to the LV unless you have a local job lined up, or you can live with one of those insane 1.5-2 hour each way commutes to your current job. Keep in mind that if you do find a decent paying professional job in the LV, the pay is going to be considerably lower than northern NJ/NYC.

You're not going to just slide into a job here that pays enough to afford a brand new house. Most of the big employers here, except maybe healthcare, have gone thorough large layoffs in the past year. PPL, Mack, Air Products, Buckeye, Victaulic, Rodale, etc.

I am guessing if you're going to live in the Pulte development, that means a household income of probably $85,000+ is needed unless you put down a huge amount on a loan.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but I know some folks who have moved to the LV thinking they would be able to replace their big-city jobs and it didn't work out.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:32 PM

we are actually thinking this may be a two year process......we have to sell our house first then look or build out there.....I'll probably move out there with a job in nyc and my wife in northern nj or hopefully in the Lehigh area at that time...then once settled i'll probally look to get out of nyc and somewhere in the Lehigh area.....the only thing that worries me is macuginie's rapid growth....and i am looking into the job market out there now and see some big companies

Old 12-01-2009, 09:01 PM

Sounds like a more workable plan, the NYC commute isn't fun, but people do it. All depends what your priorities are.

The Macungie area's residential growth is going to be slowing down in my opinion. There isn't much residential land left with the proper zoning and utilities, and what land there is, the townships are suddenly waking up and trying to preserve it, or make it ridiculously expensive to develop. Some planned large residential developments have been completely scrapped.

You may notice all of the industrial development at I-78 and Rt. 100, but several of those buildings are empty, and 98% of the people working in the rest make less than $20/hr.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:50 AM

17 posts, read 90,572 times
Default Macungie Area

I find that many people on these boards have very negative comments that should be taken with a grain of salt. You will NOT be able to buy a new home in one of the communities I mentioned for 25-40% less than in 2006. In fact, I know quite a few people who have moved, most due to job transfers, who sold (within the past 3 months) for approx. 5% less than what they paid in 2005-2006. This area is very desirable and beautiful area and will not continue to lose much value. In fact, new homes continue to sell quite quickly in our development. Resales do take a bit longer but they also move. In fact, all you have to do is drive around these neighborhoods, and you will notice that there is NOT an overabundance of "For Sale" signs. Like most areas, there were a number of foreclosures, but these have all been snatched up.

As far as the employment situation, I would say it is similar to most areas of NJ and NY. Of course it is difficult to find a job in these times, but not impossible.

Macungie is not growing as rapidly as it once was which is a good thing. However, there is so little traffic here as it is that there is still plenty of room for this area to grow and still not be ANYTHING like NJ or NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley