U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 09:47 AM

702 posts, read 864,324 times

Advertisements

Hello all:

I am thinking of moving back to Allentown (or the vicinity) from Arlington, Virginia, due to the cost of living here, the traffic and congestion, and also since I have some close friends in the Allentown area. I'm considering moving some time late next summer or in the fall.

I don't know if I will have a job lined up. I know that, generally speaking, it's never wise to move without first having secured employment, but I have savings to hold me over in hard times, maybe for about six months. Also, I know that higher-paying, professional jobs are difficult to find in Allentown, but I'm thinking that it might be very feasible to do temporary work through temp. agencies until I landed something permanent.

I'm hoping to live in a 1-bedroom apartment (maybe an efficiency if I had to) for about $500 a month.

I'm single with no children. I don't have any pets, and I have a car of my own. I prefer calm and quiet (one of my big reasons for wanting to move in the first place). I'd like to be close to major stores (Walmart, Wegmans, food stores, Starbucks, etc.) but I'm willing to drive. I have my eye on the West End of Allentown, but I'm not limited to that area. I'd also consider Bethlehem, Emmaus, and other surrounding areas.

Any helpful feedback would be appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 11:07 AM

135 posts, read 335,260 times
Lehigh Valley unemployment is over 10% but if you used the real figures and not state data it's more like 15-20%.

Old 12-15-2009, 03:39 PM

1,187 posts, read 2,594,337 times
I think it may be tough to find an apartment for $500/mo. that isn't in center city Allentown or the rougher parts of south side Bethlehem, areas you will want to avoid if you like peace and quiet. But don't let me discourage you from looking.

Also, I would advise you to not move here without a job, unless you are ok with making $8-$10 per hour.

Old 12-15-2009, 04:45 PM

135 posts, read 335,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnZ963 View Post
I think it may be tough to find an apartment for $500/mo. that isn't in center city Allentown or the rougher parts of south side Bethlehem, areas you will want to avoid if you like peace and quiet. But don't let me discourage you from looking.

Also, I would advise you to not move here without a job, unless you are ok with making $8-$10 per hour.
When you figure heat will cost you about $100 a month this is not a bad deal. Especially being it's not in Allentown. The housing bust will creating a large amount of rentals and you will surely get more available as the years go on. Prices of rentals jumped during the bubble and there are plenty of high priced rentals that arent getting rented because its the last ditch effort of so to be foreclosed properties. These were found with a quick search on craigslist. Like JohnZ said I would stay away from Allentown definately!

$650 / 2br - apt.with heat included - Emmaus

we will allow a cat that is house broken with an extra doposit

Another....

$600 / 1br - Apt. for rent ( Emmaus Pa,18046)

Another....

$575 / 2br - Small Quite 2br apartment (Emmaus)

Multiple mod edits - please do not post specific property links or addresses

Last edited by toobusytoday; 12-15-2009 at 05:37 PM..

Old 12-16-2009, 05:00 AM

12,870 posts, read 29,506,883 times
I think jobs in general are hard to find, but I don't this area has a lower then average amount of "professional" jobs. People do move here because of job offers (we did), and those are not manual labor ones. I think it's a positive thing that you are not planning on moving until next year and can use the next several months to look for a job before you make a permanent commitment.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:36 AM

702 posts, read 864,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnZ963 View Post

I'd prefer to make more, but I could live on that for a while until I found something better. Low income is better than no income.

Old 12-16-2009, 04:25 PM

1,187 posts, read 2,594,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I think jobs in general are hard to find, but I don't this area has a lower then average amount of "professional" jobs. People do move here because of job offers (we did), and those are not manual labor ones.
I agree that in normal times this area might not be lacking in professional jobs compared to average, but I think it's a little different right now. Pretty much every major employer in the LV, outside of the healthcare industry, has axed a ton of workers over the past year and won't be hiring more in decent numbers for the foreseeable future. Air Products, PPL, Mack, Rodale, Victaulic, Buckeye, LSI, Orasure, Day Timers etc. have all had big layoffs or forced early retirements, and those companies have been the source of a large chunk of the jobs paying $50,000+ in the area IMO.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:39 PM

12,870 posts, read 29,506,883 times
I hear what you are saying John, I just don't know if the Lehigh Valley is any different then any other part of the country. It seems like the smartest move for anyone that has a job right now is to hunker down where they are and wait this yucky economy out.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 12-19-2009, 10:19 AM

4,123 posts, read 8,001,979 times
RMS is hiring, but you just have to show up and aggressively pursue a face to face meeting. That's what I did after submitting 4 online resumes in the course of 1 year. It is somewhat hard though. You really have to buckle down and learn how to maneuver to all these different screens. I am getting there. And, it is much better than Synchronoss across the parking lot. That place is a morgue. The people that work there are miserable, stone faced, and uptight.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:34 AM

2 posts, read 7,277 times
Stay away from the Reading Pa area also, no work and apartments outside the city are around $650. a month for something nice. Service and retail jobs are the norm if you can get one and the pay sucks $8-10 an hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley