U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 12:25 PM

245 posts, read 852,467 times

Advertisements

Moved to the area 3 weeks ago & just now vigorously searching for family practitioners & especially one that will prescribe Armour Thyroid (for hypothyroidism). Many doctors boo-hoo it but it's natural and it works for me after being on synthroid for so many years. My doc back home was very agreeable to trying different & more natural approaches so I'd love to find a doc here that "listens" to his/her patient. I live in Coplay and don't mind traveling 30 min. to a doctor. Thanks for any help you can give me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 10:24 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,537,132 times
I believe he may be a bit more than 30 minutes away, but worth it:

W. William Shay, DO, 19 Anthonys Mills Road, Barto, PA 19504

Phone: (610) 845-8400

He is a family practice physician who also does acupuncture and a variety of natural treatments in addition to mainstream medicine. Dr. Shay is wonderful and definitely worth the drive! He takes our insurance too.

The downside: There may be a long wait for the first appointment, you'll have to call and see.

Good luck!

Old 12-16-2009, 11:57 PM

Thank you Karen! I've researched Dr. Shay a bit & can only find wonderful things said about him. I'll give his office a call tomorrow & see if I can get an appointment. He's only about a 30 min. drive which isn't a problem for us. Thanks again!

Old 12-18-2009, 12:03 AM

You are so welcome, and he is worth the wait, I promise you.

I am positive that getting your Armour Thyroid will not be a problem with him.

He found some nutritional deficiencies in my teen that, since corrected, have made a HUGE difference in his overall health and well-being. His office is in a beautiful setting - just allow yourself enough time to find it for the first visit (I have no sense of direction and got a bit lost...)

Old 12-21-2009, 08:40 PM

Karen, just wanted to let you know that my husband and I have appointments with Dr. Shay Wed. of this week. No wait....unless you consider 2 days a wait! lol I'm so excited to get in so quickly and establish care, especially for my husband who is in so much back pain. I'll let you know how we like him & how things go. Thanks again!

Old 12-23-2009, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly57 View Post
Karen, just wanted to let you know that my husband and I have appointments with Dr. Shay Wed. of this week. No wait....unless you consider 2 days a wait! lol I'm so excited to get in so quickly and establish care, especially for my husband who is in so much back pain. I'll let you know how we like him & how things go. Thanks again!
I am so thankful you got in so quickly (maybe because of the holidays?). When I made the initial appt for my son, I think we waited 6 weeks or so, but it was right at the beginning of the school year too.

Please let me know how you like him (and leave early enough for the appt so you can find it....we were almost late the first time)

Old 12-25-2009, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_s View Post
Please let me know how you like him (and leave early enough for the appt so you can find it....we were almost late the first time)
I wish I had gotten on the computer & saw your message prior to our appointment! lol We left 45 min prior to the appointment & still wound up being about 8 min late. We went with the GPS & not the info left on the answering machine by the doc's office (that the bridge was out use alternative route).

You were right the area he's located in is absolutely amazing! Beautiful, breathtaking...I would've loved to just hang out for awhile outside! We were the only 2 patients there, our appts were back to back. He took a bit more time with my husband, which I expected & it was just fine with me. He pinpointed something right off the bat that other doctor's had neglected to find that is a big cause of my husband's pain. He's doing a bunch of blood work on both of us before moving further along in our care.He def seems quite thorough and on top of things. He wasn't quite what I imagined (personality or physical looks), not your typical white coat doctor....actually I immediately thought he was a little odd. But thinking about it & discussing it with my husband afterwards, aren't all the geniuses a bit "odd".

My husband really liked him & obviously is going to be seeing him a lot more than I will for his back/bone condition. But, I will be getting my armour thyroid from him, or at least something close to it since the manufacturer has stopped making that & changed it around.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:46 PM

34 posts, read 89,190 times
Since manufacturer has stopped making Armour thyroid, what are you guys taking now? I'm on synthroid again, but I don't like the medication. I'm going nuts with it, any other suggestions? I love Armour, and had been taking it till December 09, that's when the pharmacies stopped getting it at all.
Please Help!

Old 02-11-2010, 03:18 PM

Hi! Don't despair...you can still get your Armour Thyroid or it's equivalent. I found a doctor to prescribe it & I mail my prescription off to "Women's Int'l Pharmacy", here's the link to their site: Compounding pharmacy - Bioidentical hormones – BHRT – Women’s* International Pharmacy
You have to pay them directly & then send the paperwork in for reimbursement through your insurance company. OR - the other alternative is finding one of those little "hometown" pharmacies, not the big "chain store" pharmacies and ask if they will compound your Armour for you. The chain store pharmacies do not do any compounding of special prescriptions, and by special I mean the Armour Thyroid. If they don't have it in stock then they won't "make it" or "compound it" for you. The little "hometown" pharmacies typically will do that. I chose to use Women's International Pharmacy because I had used them in the past for some bio-identical hormones & they were referred from the doctor that wrote the script. You can call them and speak with them and print out the necessary forms from their website. They also state there is a shortage on their site but it's more of the supply and demand I believe at this point. I have had no trouble at all getting my Armour from them. The FDA stopped production based on one of the filler's that were being used in the Armour. This apparently backed things up & since they've restarted to make it with the new & approved filler I suspect they just can't make it quick enough. I have heard that people have noticed the new Armour doesn't quiet work as well, all I know is my new doc lowered my dose so I'm just noticing reduced energy levels & sleeping longer. I'll have to discuss that with him......so I'm not sure if it's the new Armour or the lower dosage or maybe even both. I hate when they mess with a good thing! Hope this helps!

Old 02-12-2010, 02:11 PM

The one place I would suggest checking locally is the Dorneyville Pharmacy on Hamilton Blvd. We've had many Rxs compounded there - mine were all for veterinary use for my cats so you'd have to check as far as "human" prescriptions, but they do a great job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley