U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 08:45 PM

31 posts, read 51,363 times

Advertisements

We are originally from long island now living in florida and thinking about relocating to lv area and would love to hear the pros and cons of the area. Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 11:15 AM

No long islanders there??

Old 12-18-2009, 02:43 PM

12,870 posts, read 29,506,883 times
Busy time of year, give it a few days.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:36 PM

245 posts, read 852,467 times
I've just moved to the LV area after living almost 20 years in NC but prior to that I lived on LI. Unfortunately I've only been here in PA for 2 weeks and can't tell you too much about the area since I'm still learning it. Obviously, the one huge difference is the weather. Florida is somewhat like NC but even in NC we had "cold" weather & ice and snow. No one could drive in it & the stores ran out of bread and milk asap! Schools closed at the mention of snow. Now here things operate differently that's for sure! The roads are prepped & I've noticed in the two snow falls I've experienced so far, there are snow plows always out & about. People can drive in this weather much better than in the south. So those are pluses. It's freezing though, for me anyway and I suspect you'll be like me and be a bit of a wimp with the cold weather. But, LI was no walk in the park and we survived! I don't know how close you are to the beaches but that's another thing you'd need to consider whether you want to give up. I'm excited about experiencing all four seasons again, especially the spring and the fall. They are way too short in the south. I won't miss that God awful heat that seems to last forever! I guess I've just replaced it with the cold! There's some beautiful countryside here and also areas with tons of traffic! I would never go back to LI, that has become so over built and over populated, although I miss the close proximity to the beaches. Oh and just to let you know we moved here because of a job opportunity for my husband. I realize that probably isn't a ton of help, but being brand new to the area I can give you a fresh "outsiders" viewpoint.

Old 12-19-2009, 10:33 AM

Thanks. We live in fl and own a home in the lake norman area of nc. Im now 2nd guessing moving to nc and thinking i would like to be closer to LI and dont want to deal with the north ...south bs in charlotte. I would rather be near lakes and rivers than the beach so pa sounds good to me. How are the property taxes there compared to nc? Thanks again.

Old 12-19-2009, 01:35 PM

What a small world! We lived in Concord.....about 45 min away from Lake Norman! Lake Norman is a beautiful area, how lucky you are to own a home there! Very expensive now to purchase a home because of the close proximity to the lake. I do know that the lake itself is extremely overcrowded with all kinds of boats (& always a couple of boating accidents every summer involving drinking). As you probably know there's very limited swimming available there. They have one "beach" owned by Duke Power, I've never been but it's very small. I remember reading in he papers this past summer about discussions regarding building a larger beach in that area. That's the only public swimming in at the lake, other than any public pools you can find. You're also so right about the north and the south BS thing in the area. It's not so much in Charlotte (the city is a melting pot of all kinds of people moving into it & working there), it's found more in the surrounding smaller towns. Sometimes I felt like the Civil War was still alive & well there! lol Now one thing I can't help you with is property taxes. We are renting at the moment. I do believe they are higher in PA though, and that's just a guess. I can tell you that auto insurance is MUCH cheaper in NC. Ours doubled up here in PA and we're still with the same insurance company (& same vehicle and drivers). Don't know what FL auto ins is like. I have a step-daughter that lives with her family in Pensacola, that's about all I know about FL.

Old 12-19-2009, 08:36 PM

My home is in corneilius with private boat dock near the rusty rudder. Its nice there but i think we would like to be closer to LI. How do you like living in pa compared toNC? Thanks

Old 12-20-2009, 09:17 AM

It's hard right now to give you a good answer because I'm still suffering from homesickness. Also, we've been hit with several snowfalls since moving to PA and that's new for me. It's awesome to see snow like this again after 20 years in the south. But, I do feel somewhat isolated & I haven't seen much of the area, I'm not employed at the moment so I'm sure that's making a big difference too. I've got my elderly Mom living with us & I take care of her & hubby works nights....so I'm pretty limited at the moment to seeing much of anything besides the house we're currently living in. What little I've seen is pretty.....lots of traffic in certain areas but it had gotten like that in Concord,NC too....I just knew the roads inside and out & of course was comfortable. I guess I need at least 6 months of living here to answer that question sincerely & w/o all this homesick emotion.

If you don't want bad winter weather then I'd probably direct you to move to your home in Cornelius. You've got a house already in a very desired area of NC. There's lots of stores, restaurants in the area & yes, tons of traffic. But, you also will have some change of seasons unlike you do in FL.

Now if you're not thrilled with NC & just prefer that as a vacation home & need a complete change of pace, you want to get closer to LI & possibly old friends and relatives, then yes PA has plenty of towns & cities to choose from!

You may do well with copying and pasting the "sticky" questionnaire that's for people wanting to move to the area. I did that & it was a big help in I got a lot of replies from people that have lived here awhile & know the areas very well. I don't know how much help I've been to you but I'd be interested in knowing what you decide & how things are going once you do move. Good luck!

Last edited by butterfly57; 12-20-2009 at 09:18 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-20-2009, 10:15 AM

Thanks your input is greatly appreciated. This years snow is a freak thing so i can see you having mixed feelings. You feel like a prisoner snowed in for days. I dont know if we would be able to handle all that cold/snow. We will explore in the spring.You have to give an area a good 18months to deceide if you like it or not. 97 degrees in sept/oct is just way too much already. Thanks again.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SICOFFLORIDA View Post
97 degrees in sept/oct is just way too much already. Thanks again.
I have to ad that I did get tired of the excessive heat in NC, in the area that we lived. We were "inland", no mountains nearby to speak of (2 hrs to the mountains of NC) & no beaches (4 hrs to Myrtle Beach closest). So the heat was just unbearable and overwhelming at times. Much of the time is spent indoors in the A/C. I missed the fall and spring seasons, they seemed to only last a matter of 2 wks each. lol It was fall for a brief moment & then the cold of winter or a brief beautiful spring & then slam the heat hit & didn't seem to go away . And yes I agree you really need a good 18 months to 2 years to know if you're going to like an area. I remember after a year, NC started to kind of feel like home to me after moving there from LI.

Feel free to private message me if you want to keep tabs on how I'm adapting. lol I don't know if it's harder as we get older to adjust or if it's just a state of mind.....we shall see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or