U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 05:31 PM

245 posts, read 852,918 times

Advertisements

Okay, here I go again.....moved here 3 weeks ago....I've got some good doctor (MD) referrals from here but now need a good chiro. We prefer a chiropractor that graduated from Palmer College of Chiro. (yes it makes a difference! ). Went to one in Bethlehem today for a consult (through my own research) & while he was thorough & knowledgeable, he really had no bedside manner, he was also quite young (early 30's), he's only been in practice 3 years & obviously didn't have all the fancy equipment that comes w/ 30 years of building a practice. Not that all those gadgets make a difference, it's how skilled & caring the doc is ultimately. But, not too sure about this guy....kinda going with my gut feeling here......so any referrals would be appreciated. Thanks all!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 08:08 PM

208 posts, read 587,389 times
Dr. Ted Banko is excellent. My immediate and extended family and friends have used him for years for various issues and have all been very happy. He is a Palmer College grad according to his bio on his website Banko Chiropractic. His office is located by Bar-Don Lanes and Redner's off of William Penn Hwy. in Palmer Township, not far from Bethlehem Township.

Old 12-19-2009, 02:21 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,538,128 times
Hi, it's me again I am so lucky to know all kinds of great medical professionals.

You might want to try Dr. Alan Kunkel up here in Wind Gap. Our family's been going to him since the 1980s. He is a Palmer graduate and gives "real" adjustments

Contact info:
Alan H. Kunkel, Jr., DC
964 Chestnut Street
Wind Gap, PA 18091
(610) 863-9220

Old 12-19-2009, 01:49 PM

What a coincidence karen_s that you recommend him! Actually Dr. Kunkel was a chiro that I found doing a search of Palmer grads in the area. I did call his office & I believe I spoke with a lady named Diane. Unfortunately, I had to cancel the appointments I made for the 3 of us. He's very pricey for an initial consult w/ x-rays & it's impossible for us to manage that now because of the holidays & after such an expensive move. My Mom's insurance covers chiro but my husband's insurance (that I'm on) doesn't cover it. So it's out of pocket for us. I did tell them that it wasn't something we could financially afford at the moment & they didn't offer any alternatives. So unfortunately I had to cancel. I went with the younger chiro. who's prices were lower, but I guess you get what you pay for right? Not saying he wasn't good or knowledgeable, but you can tell the doc's that have been in practice a long time & the ones that are just starting out. Do you know if Dr. Kunkel has offers for new patients, certain times of year where the initial exam & x-rays are given at a discounted rate? Our chiro did that about 4 times a year & it really helped the people out that otherwise couldn't have afforded to get started with him. Perhaps next time you stop in to his office you can inquire? Thanks again for your referrals!

Old 12-19-2009, 03:48 PM

I will definitely ask more information for you, I believe my mom's going this week before Christmas. I'm going to be in the same boat as you w/Dr. Kunkel because our insurance changes for 2010 and he is completely out of network, and thus I'll have to pay. It's definitely worth it, but I know what you're saying. It IS pricey. (Diane is his wife, she works in the office now that their daughter's grown). I did think he did "referral" types of promotions at times, if so we'll refer you in.

I have seen him since high school and he is definitely a great chiropractor. He is the only chiropractor ever able to really adjust my very tense 350 lb husband. I had him adjust my kids when they were tiny babies.

In the meantime, if you feel "out," Dr. Shay is a DO and I bet he'd do an osteopathic manipulation if you need it (my family docs in Wind Gap do a good job w/this although not the same as a chiro).

Old 12-20-2009, 09:59 AM

Thanks again for your help! Yes, please ask if they have any type of special coming up soon. There are a couple of Palmer grads in the Allentown area, I received a list from the college itself of grads around here. They don't recommend any specific one, just provide you with a list, so I have no idea who's "good" or not. Not sure if I should throw doc's names out there or not to see if anyone has heard of them? Is that permitted on here or advised? I don't want to discredit anyone based on negative people's opinions of them if you know what I mean?

Old 12-20-2009, 02:38 PM

You can throw out some names and have people send you a direct message on here.

If someone posts about a doc or a business where I have specific negative information/feedback, I generally take it to a direct message.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:08 PM

5 posts, read 12,306 times
If you can get past seeing a Palmer grad check out Dr. Perillo at Be Well Chiropractic. He has wonderful bedside manner. The staff and the facility are wonderful. I have sent several friends and we all love him. He truly loves what he does and really listens to you.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 03-12-2010 at 11:52 AM.. Reason: so sorry, new posters cannot post links

Old 03-11-2010, 09:09 AM

Mod cut- above post quote deleted.

Thanks for the info. and the wonderful offer! I did check out your website & you've got lots & lots of great & interesting information on there!

BUT - We are seeing a "part-time" chiro at the moment, his availability is very limited but he's very knowledgable & so far seems to have started to help us. The problem is the limited availability with his office hours & not being able to contact him right away (he teaches at the college full-time). The wonderful thing about him is he doesn't believe in trapping families into "payment plans" or charging for every conceivable therapy and/or treatment in his office. So besides being pretty darn good at what he does, and to boot he's affordable. So I am a bit hesitant to try someone else with a "regular full time practice" since the thing nowadays is to form a treatment plan that requires a huge deposit down & monthly payments for a set amount of visits (we've been there and done that & almost went broke doing it & unfortunately our heath ins. doesn't cover chiro. We were forced by finances to stop treatment for awhile which set both of us back physically).

So while the treatments you offer sound & look (I checked out your videos) wonderful I am hesitant to come in for an evaluation only to be disappointed again because of how financially unaffordable chiropractic has become. I also realize I am doing something I shouldn't actually do.....that is "assume" this is the case with you & your practice but unfortunately it seems to be the norm these days. So unless you can allay my fears, we may stay where we're at for the time being.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 03-11-2010 at 10:53 AM..

Old 03-12-2010, 07:35 AM

6 posts, read 8,309 times
If you're still looking, Dr. "Tom"...he's the best.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 03-12-2010 at 11:52 AM.. Reason: so sorry, new posters cannot post links
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley