U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 12:11 PM

135 posts, read 335,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Be aware that the bus ride now is almost 500 per month on the Martz bus. Not sure on the bus by Easton. Most likely in the same range.
Many, move and hate the trip.......they change their minds fast. Its three to four hours of your day.

People that moved here during the recent bubble were very foolish. Many of them are going back to NJ/NY with foreclosed dreams and tails between the legs! When you calculate the additional costs of commuting it easily add's up to 1k a month. That's another almost 200,000k in home you could have bought staying put and that's not even starting to talk about the no life situation you have after the 3-4 HOUR DAILY COMMUTE YIKES! The local school districts have been losing kids the last few years because of the parents moving back. It's not going to improve either. Foreclosures are staying around for years to come. The trash needs to be taken out of the lehigh.....again!

http://patrick.net/housing/crash.html
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 04:30 PM

124 posts, read 306,354 times
FYI...My father did a 3 hour commute (at least) per day from NJ to NYC for 40 yrs...and that was in addition to a 12-18 hour work day, depending. I did it for 12 yrs and now down to 2 days a week. And now my sister is doing the same commute on a 15 hour work day. It's possible. Keep in mind that when stating how horrible the commute is, some may already be making the commute so this doesn't interfere with the decision to relocate to PA.

Old 02-21-2010, 05:14 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,537,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyi View Post
FYI...My father did a 3 hour commute (at least) per day from NJ to NYC for 40 yrs...and that was in addition to a 12-18 hour work day, depending. I did it for 12 yrs and now down to 2 days a week. And now my sister is doing the same commute on a 15 hour work day. It's possible. Keep in mind that when stating how horrible the commute is, some may already be making the commute so this doesn't interfere with the decision to relocate to PA.
Of course the commute is possible, no one is arguing with that. It is just that most people moving here do not truly fathom the day-to-day grind and the toll it takes themselves, as well as on their families. Add into this the fact that many commuter families have children and then both parents working outside the home, well just Google a bit on the Pocono Record website if you don't believe this has a major impact on families, communities, and school systems throughout the entire region.

There are a few pros (big houses here, fresh air, quality of living) but also many, many cons. I live closer to the Poconos than many on this board and have volunteered for years in public safety, so I see the good, the bad, and the downright ugly as to what this 'commuter lifestyle' can do.

Old 02-21-2010, 05:56 PM

I understand that it may have an impact on a family that was not used to a parent being away that often, but a majority of ppl living in NJ have a long commute to begin with so the same long commute wouldn't make a difference. This commute situation seems to come up very often in this forum and I just don't understand how someone would move without realizing how far a ride they had to work. Maybe some think it's possible and then realize too late that it's not? I basically just wanted to point out that just because we are coming from NY or NJ that it doesn't mean we don't have as long a commute : )

Old 02-21-2010, 10:01 PM

135 posts, read 335,260 times
Anything is possible.That is no life to live for anyone. There is not 1 benefit that you could tell me that would change that view. Working ridiculous hours and then commuting is horrible. Then you take the toll it plays on the children and it's just wrong! It's simply keeping up with the Jones family and that's why kids are on ridilin and divorce is through the roof. The costs are the part that is funny because the difference is prices of real estate and the maintenance/wear n tear of the vehicle needed outweigh the cost. Fuel, tires, oil changes(some need multiple per month) gas etc along with the time lost that could be raising children or simply relaxing and the tolls that takes on a body/life someone please let me know how beneficial that is?

If people used the commuter mentality then a smart Lehigh Valley native should live 3-5 hour commute to save money. You could easily get somewhere in central PA up the river from Harrisburg or West of Scranton and in that region you can buy an all brick 2,000-5,000 sq ft home with a few acres for around 100k and there are plenty of those towns where you can still buy a home for 20k some are only 45 minutes north of Allentown but farther away it's unheard of cheap for property. The reason people dont do that is simple. It doesnt make sense.

The majority of those who have moved to the Lehigh Valley during the housing bubble the were simply escaping a housing bubble in NJ/NY that completely priced them out of that area but now the prices are falling just as fast as here and will eventually be back to pre bubble status and that will really drive those who moved nuts. It's common knowledge about NYC area housing boom/busts but this one was the housing bubble so prices doubled and blue collar people who wanted houses from that area came here thinking they were getting a sweet deal. A 4 bedroom McMansion built on swamp land around Macungie for $275,000 just make sure you remember your address because all the homes look the same. Now so many developments have a large amount of homes that never got sold and are sitting empty for months some over a year or closer to two. Now those places cant even sell for $200,000.

I know someone who bought a townhouse in Macungie the ones behind the Turkey Hill/CVS. You drive back the street by the daycare center and go all the way back there. At the peak of the bubble he paid along with the rest $250,000 and some were selling as high as $275k. You could buy in there now for around $150,000(those who bought before the bubble can)and they are still sitting because they should be selling for around $100-115k. They will be in a few more years. I stopped even counting all the sheriff's sale's/foreclosure notices around the area. I was getting a sore neck from the constant site of all of them.

Last edited by LifetimeLocal; 02-21-2010 at 10:15 PM..

Old 02-22-2010, 06:53 AM

12,870 posts, read 29,506,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaHHHH View Post
Moving to pa but still work in nyc>>what city/town is closest to nyc

While I agree with LL about the commute being something I wouldn't want anyone in our family to do, I'm fine with that being someone else's choice. The OP (is he/she even reading this??) is not asking us for our opinions on whether they should commute or not, the question is which city's or towns are closest to NYC.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:36 AM

"Just wrong"...no it's called a CAREER. I have had and still do have a very good life and have a very loving family - all still married, I may add, thank you. We all work very hard to give our families a great life...I'm sorry that others are so jealous of that, they feel the need to attack. All I care about is that we're happy and that we are!! : ) One can try all they can to keep us from moving to PA, but no one is stopping us from giving our family a better life so PA HERE WE COME!! : ) : ) : )

Old 06-07-2010, 07:04 PM

12 posts, read 25,530 times
Delaware Water Gap, East Stroudsburg, Stroudsburg, Poconos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley