U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 07:42 PM

124 posts, read 306,414 times

Advertisements

We just got back from looking at a number of homes today with a realtor in Bethlehem, Forks and Palmer. We fell in love with Wagner Farms in Beth., but it's a little out of our price range. Forks, on the other hand, has a beautiful new development going up called Riverview Estates and we looked at 2 models in there and fell in love. I know that Easton HS is ranked the lowest in the county, but friends of ours keep telling us that they are fine and they are very happy with the schools, including the elementary and middle.

I would love some honest opinions on schools in this area please, preferably from ppl with children who attend or have attended the schools. Our children's education is very important to us and would turn down an area for a better SD if it were that bad. Thanks so much for any advice!! ~Kelly
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 07:38 AM

: ( Why doesn't anyone want to answer me? I really need to know.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:50 AM

12,870 posts, read 29,517,912 times
I think Karen_S lives in Forks. I didn't answer because I don't have any first hand information and that's what you've asked for. I think you'll find that most elementary schools, even in the center of a city, are good. Middle Schools are tricky everywhere but High School is the most important. Have you visited the schools yourself? Since schools are an important consideration we visited them when we were shopping for our last two houses. We found the Principals to be very open about their schools. In fact, one Principal told us that the area was experiencing explosive growth and they were concerned about how to keep up.

I guess you've looked at this? http://www.schoolmatters.com/schools.aspx/q/page=sr/txt=Easton$sp;Area$sp;School$sp;district/ust=PA/p=1/fp=1 I do not think that numbers show everything but theirs are pretty low.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:58 AM

Thank you Toobusy for your reply. Yes, that's why I am so concerned - The numbers. So I want to find out if they are true, as many ppl are telling me that they are so happy with the schools. Hopefully someone will pop in who can give me some positive knowledge, but if not we will head to Naz. Thanks again! : )

Old 01-13-2010, 09:04 AM

208 posts, read 587,389 times
Hi Kelly,

Having experience in the EASD, I can offer a little insight. The schools will be what your child makes of them. The numbers are based on all children and keep in mind that there is a difference in some lifestyles and economic situations between Easton and Nazareth, per se. You really cannot compare because it's not apples to apples. We had wonderful teachers in the district and teachers who were just looking for their paycheck and summer off. However, you will find that in every district. A huge plus to Easton is because of its size, there are many more class offerings and activities as the children get older than can be offered in a smaller district. If you have any more questions, please ask.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsynative View Post
Hi Kelly,

Having experience in the EASD, I can offer a little insight. The schools will be what your child makes of them. The numbers are based on all children and keep in mind that there is a difference in some lifestyles and economic situations between Easton and Nazareth, per se. You really cannot compare because it's not apples to apples. We had wonderful teachers in the district and teachers who were just looking for their paycheck and summer off. However, you will find that in every district. A huge plus to Easton is because of its size, there are many more class offerings and activities as the children get older than can be offered in a smaller district. If you have any more questions, please ask.
Thank you : ) Just out of curiosity, what is your opinion on the differences in some lifestyles and economics between Easton & Nazareth? This may help me in making a decision. Knowing that the schools are what the children make of them, as well as the parents, I am hoping for a school with a good rep of being more in tune with their students, if that makes sense. I want to make sure that if my child needs special help in any certain area, that it will be provided and he will not be turned away because they aren't as attentive as another school. It would be lovely if my children ended up to be scholars so I wouldn't have to worry, but I'd like to have it covered if not lol.

Old 01-13-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyi View Post
Thank you : ) Just out of curiosity, what is your opinion on the differences in some lifestyles and economics between Easton & Nazareth? This may help me in making a decision. Knowing that the schools are what the children make of them, as well as the parents, I am hoping for a school with a good rep of being more in tune with their students, if that makes sense. I want to make sure that if my child needs special help in any certain area, that it will be provided and he will not be turned away because they aren't as attentive as another school. It would be lovely if my children ended up to be scholars so I wouldn't have to worry, but I'd like to have it covered if not lol.
Clearly, this is JMO but it depends on where you choose to live. I lived in Palmer Township and loved it. It was suburban but close to everything....all major highways, shopping, etc. It has the same type feel as Lower Nazareth Township. However, I do not feel Bushkill and Upper Nazareth are as convenient which was important to me. I think that the mindset in lifestyles and economics are similar in all of the above townships and Forks as well. You can get a fairly comparable home in any of those communities. If your children become involved in township activities such as football, baseball, cheering, etc. they are all fairly comparable again as to the type of organization and "feel" of it.

Obviously, there is a different feel if you are looking at the city of Easton or Nazareth Borough. If I had to choose more city-type living, I would probably choose Nazareth but it still doesn't have the quality of restaurants that Easton has. It all depends on what is important to you.

If I had to start all over again with little ones, I would live in Palmer in a minute. It has its good and bad just as do all of the other townships but overall a nice family feel.

Unfortunately, I can't give you much help in the area of special needs other than telling you that I know that all of the Easton elementary schools have programs for it. I think that also will be something of personal opinion. I have friends whose children are in Nazareth SD and when comparing notes, we did not find much, if any, in the way of differences and our kids are similar in their "smarts." Easton, however, does offer more opportunities at the high school level so it depends on what you are looking for.

Is any of this helping?

Old 01-13-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsynative View Post
Clearly, this is JMO but it depends on where you choose to live. I lived in Palmer Township and loved it. It was suburban but close to everything....all major highways, shopping, etc. It has the same type feel as Lower Nazareth Township. However, I do not feel Bushkill and Upper Nazareth are as convenient which was important to me. I think that the mindset in lifestyles and economics are similar in all of the above townships and Forks as well. You can get a fairly comparable home in any of those communities. If your children become involved in township activities such as football, baseball, cheering, etc. they are all fairly comparable again as to the type of organization and "feel" of it.

Obviously, there is a different feel if you are looking at the city of Easton or Nazareth Borough. If I had to choose more city-type living, I would probably choose Nazareth but it still doesn't have the quality of restaurants that Easton has. It all depends on what is important to you.

If I had to start all over again with little ones, I would live in Palmer in a minute. It has its good and bad just as do all of the other townships but overall a nice family feel.

Unfortunately, I can't give you much help in the area of special needs other than telling you that I know that all of the Easton elementary schools have programs for it. I think that also will be something of personal opinion. I have friends whose children are in Nazareth SD and when comparing notes, we did not find much, if any, in the way of differences and our kids are similar in their "smarts." Easton, however, does offer more opportunities at the high school level so it depends on what you are looking for.

Is any of this helping?

Yes it is helping - thanks for taking the time to explain this to me. I have been researching the statistics and what has me a little flustered is that I see that the Easton schools are pretty diverse racially, which is fine but just not something that we are used to whereas Nazareth tends to be just about 100% white, in which I do not want my children growing up around a bunch of racists ... now I am saying this theoretically and exaggerated to the extent of what the possibilities are. What are your opinions on Catholic schools in the area, i.e. St. Ann's elementary in Bethlehem, Easton Catholic elementary?

My problem is that we want the best education possible for our kids and the home we found is in the district that ranks the lowest in the county which I am not comfortable with. UGH. I am so sorry to be a major pain in the tush lol.

Old 01-13-2010, 03:13 PM

I will DM you

Old 01-13-2010, 08:11 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,538,128 times
I do not live in Easton, I'm a bit north, but there are many private options as well. There are some great charter schools, Catholic schools, and Christian schools to check out if you really like the area.

My kids go to Faith Christian School in Roseto. Easton SD does bus children there if that's something you may be interested in. Very small school, top-notch education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley