U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 10:11 AM

245 posts, read 852,115 times

Advertisements

We are renting a very old house that still uses it's well. The landlord explained they could've hooked up to city water & sewer & they chose not to because of cost & that the well was still functioning. I'm not that familiar with well water, only had it once for a brand new home & then we had a water softner hooked up. I started to suspect there might be a problem with the water when all of us started to have various gastro complaints.....everyday! This home's water doesn't smell funky, but when you boil it for pasta the pot itself becomes white, there's a film that dries & can be peeled off the pot. We decided to boil the water then cool for drinking & noticed there's a white sediment that settles in the bottom of the boiled water and there's also some type of clear "floaters" that stay on top of the water in the pot upon inspection. Our skin has become very dry, flaky. Our hair (the females in the household) have notice that it stays "flatter" than our normal fullness. We've decided to have someone come and hook-up a water cooler that connects to out kitchen skin & uses a five filtration system so that I can use purified water for drinking & cooking (they don't test your home water).

Since we rent, this is the most inexpensive & less intrusive (on the house itself) way of getting uncontaminated water. But, my concern is also bathing in it. I am considering having the water tested somewhere (haven't found anyone yet), I don't have a clue as to the expense of it but considering we're all sick, it's worth it. I have done some research & realize there can be all kinds of bacteria, excessive minerals, pipe corrosion, contamination from nearby farms, etc. in the water.

The major problem being is that we rent the house we're in. I figure depending on the results, I'd present it to the landlord and we go from there. Has anyone had similar experiences with well water and if so what did you do about it and/or what did you discover?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 09:00 PM

36 posts, read 91,910 times
Yikes! We had well water in our previous home and fortunately had no problems. My sister had well water that was contaminated because her property had once been farmland and they were drinking the water and getting sick from the high levels of bacteria in the water supply. It took 3 years for the water to test safe in her well. A filtration system may or may not help depending on what is in your water. We had a UV filtration system in our house which "zaps" the bacteria before it gets to your kitchen, bath. We had our water tested by Benchmark Analytics in Center Valley. I really don't remember the cost, it was a number of years ago. They came to our house, took the samples and had the results back within a week. The only suggestion I have is get the water tested and get a recommendation from the lab on what needs to be done to provide you with safe drinking water.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:28 PM

12,865 posts, read 29,476,579 times
We get flyers from Culligans about once a year offering to do a free water sample test. Here's a link that may help you. CULLIGAN - water filters, water softeners, drinking water, water treatment We have well water and like it.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HALIT View Post
We had a UV filtration system in our house which "zaps" the bacteria before it gets to your kitchen, bath. We had our water tested by Benchmark Analytics in Center Valley. I really don't remember the cost, it was a number of years ago. They came to our house, took the samples and had the results back within a week. The only suggestion I have is get the water tested and get a recommendation from the lab on what needs to be done to provide you with safe drinking water.
What type of system did you put in your house (UV filtration)? Is it for all the water in your home or just in the kitchen? Thanks, you've given me some great info!

Old 01-21-2010, 03:03 PM

135 posts, read 353,312 times
That could be hard water, that is when there are alot of minerals in the water, but it could also be something from your pipes in your home the problem with rentals is that at times they can sit empty for a couple months at a time with the water sitting in the lines and hard water has some weird reactions with different materials and conditions, but it could be from the well itself or it could be some moss got in the line and is coming out ,there are a few things it could be or a combination, so get the water tested and see what is up with the water first then take necessary steps to see about fixing it.
Good luck

Old 01-21-2010, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA-native71 View Post
the problem with rentals is that at times they can sit empty for a couple months at a time with the water sitting in the lines and hard water has some weird reactions with different materials and conditions, but it could be from the well itself or it could be some moss got in the line and is coming out ,there are a few things it could be or a combination, so get the water tested and see what is up with the water first then take necessary steps to see about fixing it.
Good luck
You're on target with the house having sat empty! It was empty for about six months. The homeowner says they hadn't had this type of problem for a long time and he's blamed the recent weather (snow & rain). The scary thing is when you first run the water and fill a clear glass, the water is cloudy with a "white" substance that just swirls around. If you leave it sit, it settles to the bottom of the glass. This also happens when water is boiled. There was quite a bit of sediment when I cleaned the screens on the faucets which consisted of hard white objects and rusty objects. Sounds like dirt, pipe, minerals or all of the above. I have a call into a testing facility, just waiting for a return call at this point and drinking lots of bottled water.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:09 PM

135 posts, read 353,312 times
More than likely the water lines and the water tank(I'm guessing you have a water tank) is going to need to be flushed out, for this sounds like lime and iron, if a water sits in a system and is not drained for awhile than you get rust formations and hard water deposits in the "line" I have seen this before
a simple filter setup usually fixes this but you will know exactly what to do when the analysis is done, and the reason you was feeling ill is because you are not used to drinking hard water and that much iron will make you fell funny and that is why your hair has been lying fat, bet your shampoo and soap don't suds right either.
Good luck and let us know when you find out.

Old 02-22-2010, 04:27 PM

We ordered a test kit and tested it ourselves (2 day period of time) & it shows the water is EXTREMELY hard & high for nitrites. No bacteria thankfully. The test failed for whatever reason to determine if there were pesticides in the water. We chose to go with the home kit because of cost at this point & because we're in a rental home & the owner's wouldn't pay to have the water tested (he just keeps saying it's "hard water", which he's very correct about). Test kit cost $20, company to test it $75. I am using a PUR filter in the kitchen and am considering filtration for the showers, which I found a company online that I can purchase them from when we can afford it. If we owned the home we'd go a different route, probably a water softner. Thanks everyone for your ideas and help!

Last edited by butterfly57; 02-22-2010 at 04:27 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-28-2010, 08:02 AM

22 posts, read 39,645 times
one thing to try is just letting the water run for bit before using it. THe funkiness can come from peat/ dissolving matter. I would definitely keep using the water filter though. I've had well water all my life and it takes some getting used to. I would also recommend fluoride pills/ stronger toothpaste if you have kids. The hard water is not forgiving on tooth enamel!

Old 03-01-2010, 12:46 PM

135 posts, read 335,152 times
What part of town do you live?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley