Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2010, 08:00 PM

5 posts, read 29,115 times

Advertisements

I am in the process of moving as part of my new job, which is in downtown Philly. I am looking for a place to rent/stay, close (as close as possible) to the Lehigh Valley, that is on the rail network!
Can anyone shed some light, on places that may be a few miles drive to the railway station; that is about an hour or less ride to the 30th street station!
I don't want to drive the whole distance, to work!
Thank you
Joe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 08:20 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,511,274 times
Then you are probably not going to be living in the Lehigh Valley. We have no rail service.

The closest station is Colmar or Lansdale and either of them are 20 minutes from my house, and I live in the southern-most town in Lehigh County. From there, it's about an hour by rail to 30th street station.

Lansdale, PA to Philadelphia, PA - Google Maps

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-24-2010, 04:22 PM

5 posts, read 29,115 times
Thank you for the input!
As far as renting, any specific areas, that may be cheaper?
Here is a better picture: I have friends that live in Bethlehem, though I am not going to be there every evening; I don't want to be too far either. I know the farther away I go from downtown, the cheaper rent/apartments, I could find. Of course workwise, I am being offered a pretty decent amount, something that I may NOT find in the Lehigh Valley area. Also, I plan to go to U Penn, downtown, for evening/night school!
Thank you...J

Old 01-25-2010, 05:32 AM

If I were you, I would just live in the Philadelphia area and come up to Bethlehem for occasional weekends. If you are going to be taking classes and working, you are not going to have a lot of time for going out anyway and you are not going to be wanting to spend your precious time commuting long distance. There is nothing quick and easy about the commute from here to Philadelphia, especially West Philadelphia. The chance of there being an accident, construction or weather delays on any of the main roads that you would take to get into the city is pretty high every day.

I would ask on the Philly board about specific places to live between your work and Penn that are well priced. Think about this, where you are planning to move to now does not have to be your forever and ever place, it's just a convenient spot for this time in your life. Besides, if you live in a cool spot in Philadelphia, your friends in Bethlehem will want to come visit you!

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-25-2010, 04:59 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,844,597 times
I think in the next 10 years , you will see a reestablishment of that Septa line to Bethlehem , the ROW is intact , but Unfortnatly they ripped out the tracks. But since the ROW is still there , it would cost much to place back in. I forget which 2025 Plan it was in to restore service on that line.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:24 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,110,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
I think in the next 10 years , you will see a reestablishment of that Septa line to Bethlehem , the ROW is intact , but Unfortnatly they ripped out the tracks. But since the ROW is still there , it would cost much to place back in. I forget which 2025 Plan it was in to restore service on that line.
I'm willing to bet that NIMBY townships like Lower Saucon will never allow this rail corridor to be reactivated. They were a driving force in getting the track ripped out in the first place and turning it into a trail. It's a shame.

Old 01-30-2010, 06:45 AM

This was in yesterday's Philadelphia Inquirer How to use old Bethlehem rail line? | Philadelphia Inquirer | 01/29/2010 (http://www.philly.com/philly/news/homepage/83009782.html - broken link)

"What's the best use of the old rail line that once carried passengers between Lansdale and Bethlehem?
A revived SEPTA commuter line, to Quakertown in upper Bucks County, and beyond to the Lehigh Valley?"

"The latest study of restoring SEPTA service north to Quakertown and on to a park-and-ride lot at Shelly is supposed to be done by spring, said William D. Rickett, executive director of the Bucks County Transportation Management Association"

Within the last week, the article says, the old rail line was leased for $1 a year to the town of Coopersburg and the townships of Lower and Upper Saucon for use as trails. The article makes it sound like it's probable that the rail line would go up to Quakertown and then be a trail after that with the possibility of the trail itself turned back into a rail line in the future. The train would be a continuation of the R-5 commuter that now goes up to Lansdale and Colmar.

Realtors, See This.

Old 01-30-2010, 07:40 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,844,597 times
The ROW is intact i think , so you wouldn't need to purchase , this Project would relive traffic on PA-309, 412 , 611. It could make bad cities into thriving communities and it has been proven Rail lowers the crime rate. And it would be Electric since Septa doesn't operate diesel trains and just purchased a new Fleet of Sleek faster trains. Probably over the next 10 years it will be fully restored or partially. The Raritan Valley connection i think is on hold till the Lackawanna Cut-off is restored. But in 15 years , i think Eastern PA will have very good rail and light rail.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:26 PM

1 posts, read 8,694 times
You should be able to find answers on living in Philly on this site Mod cut - new posters cannot post links
My recommendation live in Philly and visit in Lehigh Valley. I live in Philly (Old City) and have family in Lehigh Valley. Getting to the Lehigh Valley is especially easy on weekends say early on a Saturday morning.

Good luck and I'll try to check back on this forum if you have any questions. Or post on the linked forum.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 01-30-2010 at 02:08 PM.. Reason: edited link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley