U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 06:51 AM

515 posts, read 1,634,462 times

Advertisements

Would it be worth it to move to Macungie/ or Parkland school district area vs. Nazareth just to get into a better school district. The commute to NJ would add about 10 min. maybe? The traffic may add more? I don't necessarily want to pick a town just because of commuting a few min. less per day, we do hope that in time we will be able to find a job closer to where we eventually live.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 07:54 AM

169 posts, read 605,626 times
Macungie is a lot more than 10 minutes from Nazareth.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:17 AM

12,866 posts, read 29,496,865 times
On paper, both East Penn and Parkland are better school districts but then again Nazareth is better then Easton. At some point you just have to figure out your priorities.

I know when we were looking at schools we weighed all different kinds of factors. One of our priorities was a school district that was not experiencing overcrowding, had to be safe, had to have very good school stats, we preferred a small High School but were willing to look at good ones with the other factors.

We actually put a circle on a map with my husbands company at the epicenter and going out about 20 miles. We only looked at school districts within that boundary. For us, that meant three counties since he works in Bucks but was within just a few minutes of Montgomery and Lehigh. One school district was experiencing explosive growth, another was a huge district in land (negative for play dates) but had a small High school ( a positive) but the houses were really expensive (negative). Two districts had very large school population, meaning very large High Schools. If none of the schools within the circle met our basic criteria, we would have enlarged the circle and my husband's commute time. That did not turn out to be necessary.

We visited the Middle School and elementary schools in the districts we were considering and did a drive-by of the High Schools. We also did extensive research on line just for comparison of the stats and sites like this one to try to get a personal feel. Meanwhile, we had a Realtor looking at houses in the different areas. That lady really earned her commission as it took us a whole year to figure out what we wanted and to sell our old house. My husband would look at houses during his lunch hour and after work. After our old house was under contract we hustled to find a house and moved within one month - a week before school started! Thank goodness we had picked a school district by that time so just had to choose a house.

At some point you just have to settle on one area and go with it. There is no single answer for anyone, you just have to decide what feels right to you.

Good luck newbies!

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:19 PM

62 posts, read 129,502 times
thank you the more i look into areas I am actually liking Nazareth I believe their schoosl are good. How did you compare ??

Old 01-29-2010, 01:18 PM

12,866 posts, read 29,496,865 times
These websites were good for the stats - Schools in Nazareth Area School District, Nazareth, PA - SchoolDigger.com and this one SchoolMatters (http://www.schoolmatters.com/schools.aspx/q/page=sr/txt=Nazareth/ust=PA/p=1/fp=1 - broken link) You have to dig in each site to really get information but it will give you everything from test scores to demographics of the community. We wanted our kids to be in a school where it was expected that kids go to college and that they would be well prepared to do so without feeling too much pressure. We did not want a keep-up-with-the-Jones'es mentality either. Yeah, we wanted it all! If we had been looking further North, Nazareth would have been in the mix. I like the size of their school. We did consider East Penn and did not choose it.

And then you visit and see what you think. When we visited this house due to a glitch in timing, the owner was actually home and he and his kids gave us the whole scoop on the neighborhood. The house was pretty much like the one we moved from, but the friendly neighbors with kids the same ages as ours, sealed the deal.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:24 PM

162 posts, read 279,228 times
I lived in Central Jersey and moved to Bethlehem Township. We are in the Freedom High School school district. My children would go to Farmersville, but instead we opted for the charter school and are so far very happy with our choice. Though I do hear great things about Farmersville, we just really like the small feel of LVA.

I can't say enough great things about Bethlehem Township though. My neighborhood in particular is amazing. Our neighbors are the best! We all get together a lot and have a ton of kids. Its a blast!

Old 02-02-2010, 06:17 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,971,408 times
I think that commute sucks, but so does any commute. I know tons of people who live out here and commute into Philly, NJ and even NY.

Have you loked into Center Valley/Saucon Valley? Expensive, but very nice and convenient.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:54 PM

61 posts, read 207,775 times
Yeah you are on the right track here. If you want to avoid bethlehem SD and Easton SD and Wilson SD and you want to commute to NJ then your only reasonable options are a) Nazareth SD and b) saucon valley or possibly C) southern lehigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley