U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 06:10 PM

135 posts, read 335,308 times

Advertisements

You can find out the average utilities for a property by calling the utility company. They will tell you the average. At least they used to years ago the last time I checked that out for someone.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 10:56 AM

245 posts, read 852,570 times
Our car insurance doubled when we moved from NC to PA & we are in the same age range as Frank754 with no violations, accidents, etc. Clean driving record so that was quite an increase. My agent in NC who also has a PA ins. license & still handles our insurance said NC is definitely one of the least expensive states for auto insurance.

With that being said, I'm curious as to why you'd want to leave beautiful Asheville, NC?

Old 03-03-2010, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly57 View Post
Our car insurance doubled when we moved from NC to PA & we are in the same age range as Frank754 with no violations, accidents, etc. Clean driving record so that was quite an increase. My agent in NC who also has a PA ins. license & still handles our insurance said NC is definitely one of the least expensive states for auto insurance.

With that being said, I'm curious as to why you'd want to leave beautiful Asheville, NC?

Asheville was a great place until the late 90's and then it became overrun with "new money" from Charlotte & Greensboro. Until then it was a nice small NC town with the most beautiful surroundings in all of NC. Since then it's become overcrowded and congested. McMansions sprung up everywhere and the town has lost most of what created the natural beauty.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:46 PM

245 posts, read 852,570 times
LifetimeLocal, have you lived at some point in Asheville, NC? I realize your user name indicates you've probably lived in the Lehigh Valley all your life, so guess I just I'm asking if you're getting your info. from online statistics or from personal experience? But, I actually don't dispute the info. (even though I haven't personally researched it), I can definitely see that happening as it did in the small town I lived in for 20 years & moved from in NC. But, Asheville is/was an incredible place that's for sure!

Old 03-03-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly57 View Post
LifetimeLocal, have you lived at some point in Asheville, NC? I realize your user name indicates you've probably lived in the Lehigh Valley all your life, so guess I just I'm asking if you're getting your info. from online statistics or from personal experience? But, I actually don't dispute the info. (even though I haven't personally researched it), I can definitely see that happening as it did in the small town I lived in for 20 years & moved from in NC. But, Asheville is/was an incredible place that's for sure!

My family has a hunting camp near there thats been in the family for almost 200 years.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:24 PM

528 posts, read 948,606 times
Thanks for the replies. The auto insurance is one thing that will be a big negative if it doubles, we pay around 550 for 6 months, 2 vehicles with comp & collision, a 2002 Toyota Corolla and a 2001 Ford Ranger pickup.
As far as moving from NC, our work has pretty much dried up, it's very difficult to find add-ons to the stores we have, as most have long-term inventory takers which they rely on and won't switch. Second, the weather here was once a plus, but now it's almost the same as up north, and the temps as well, I've been checking it all winter. They say this mini cold period could last 20-30 years.
People here cannot deal with the snow, we have had snow at least once a week since before Christmas, and more than an inch it's gridlock everywhere,
keeps tearing off the gutters on our house, no mail for 2-3 days, etc.
The utilities are not much different, it's the property tax that's a real bargain here. Sales tax is almost 8%, and 2% on food. We have few friends and no family in the area. We haven't had to look for a job, but most of it is low-paying service/clerk jobs here, not to many high tech jobs, and most factories have shut down. To get anywhere requires significant driving, while up there it's 20 mins or so to NJ, and under 2 hrs to NY or Philly. My wife found most or her work over 100 miles away with a lot of driving between clients, so it got to the point where she rented a trailer out of town and only made it home on weekends. On a personal note, I love older environs and am a rail history buff, and also enjoy visiting NYC quite a bit. Have lived around 15 yrs near Binghamton NY, but the taxes are even higher there, weather colder, and I believe the power rate is double that than in eastern PA.

Last edited by frank754; 03-03-2010 at 04:34 PM..

Old 03-03-2010, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank754 View Post
Thanks for the replies. The auto insurance is one thing that will be a big negative if it doubles, we pay around 550 for 6 months, 2 vehicles with comp & collision, a 2002 Toyota Corolla and a 2001 Ford Ranger pickup.
As far as moving from NC, our work has pretty much dried up, it's very difficult to find add-ons to the stores we have, as most have long-term inventory takers which they rely on and won't switch. Second, the weather here was once a plus, but now it's almost the same as up north, and the temps as well, I've been checking it all winter. They say this mini cold period could last 20-30 years.
People here cannot deal with the snow, we have had snow at least once a week since before Christmas, and more than an inch it's gridlock everywhere,
keeps tearing off the gutters on our house, no mail for 2-3 days, etc.
The utilities are not much different, it's the property tax that's a real bargain here. Sales tax is almost 8%, and 2% on food. We have few friends and no family in the area. We haven't had to look for a job, but most of it is low-paying service/clerk jobs here, not to many high tech jobs, and most factories have shut down. To get anywhere requires significant driving, while up there it's 20 mins or so to NJ, and under 2 hrs to NY or Philly. My wife found most or her work over 100 miles away with a lot of driving between clients, so it got to the point where she rented a trailer out of town and only made it home on weekends. On a personal note, I love older environs and am a rail history buff, and also enjoy visiting NYC quite a bit. Have lived around 15 yrs near Binghamton NY, but the taxes are even higher there, weather colder, and I believe the power rate is double that than in eastern PA.

RGIS has it on lockdown around here for that field. Are they the biggest company? You might want to check it out. Our economy is bad with unemployment well over 10% no matter what the fed calculates. Everyone knows they use a outdated formula thats bias towards the wrong end.

Under 2 hours to NYC??? On Sunday morning with no games/events going on it still takes at minimum 2 hours. It's a good 2-3 hour trip 1 way with normal traffic and only goes up from there. Philly takes about 1 1/2 and for the next few years that will increase because they are widening the lanes all the way down. When was the last time you were around the Lehigh Valley? It's not been that easy of a commute since the built 78. Hell 20 minutes to NJ if your leaving from Bethlehem and it's not Monday thru Friday during the rush hour.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:16 PM

528 posts, read 948,606 times
Thanks, life, gave you a +.
Been through there last May, but just on the highway, hadn't thought of moving there till I got back, and gave our situation some thought.
As for me & my wife, I'd hope to find local work, but at least it's not far to NJ. I'm reluctant on a long commute, but she's a trooper as far as driving goes and would not hesitate to go to NJ for better pay, not saying too far, but maybe 60 miles. Been on 78, 278 etc (which goes to Suffern, etc.), not bad, our highways here have a lot of traffic too, more than most would think.
I worked for RGIS for 8 years before going on my own, my wife also worked for Quantum & some other big co's, before going independent. They have the lock on supermarkets, dept stores & scan inventories, but while they do convenience stores, their level of service is below par, and cannot give the level of report detail & attention to detail that an independent can, nor at the price. We've taken over a few stores from them. So if there are not a lot of gung-ho reputable independents, we definitely have a good shot.
Many thanks...

Old 03-03-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank754 View Post
Thanks, life, gave you a +.
Been through there last May, but just on the highway, hadn't thought of moving there till I got back, and gave our situation some thought.
As for me & my wife, I'd hope to find local work, but at least it's not far to NJ. I'm reluctant on a long commute, but she's a trooper as far as driving goes and would not hesitate to go to NJ for better pay, not saying too far, but maybe 60 miles. Been on 78, 278 etc (which goes to Suffern, etc.), not bad, our highways here have a lot of traffic too, more than most would think.
I worked for RGIS for 8 years before going on my own, my wife also worked for Quantum & some other big co's, before going independent. They have the lock on supermarkets, dept stores & scan inventories, but while they do convenience stores, their level of service is below par, and cannot give the level of report detail & attention to detail that an independent can, nor at the price. We've taken over a few stores from them. So if there are not a lot of gung-ho reputable independents, we definitely have a good shot.
Many thanks...

The majority of the smaller stores are spanish owned.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:58 AM

12,870 posts, read 29,509,143 times
I take the bus into NYC a few times a year and my daughter (who lives there) goes back and forth about once a month. We always take the Bieber bus Bieber Tours - Home from Hellertown (about 15 minutes west of Allentown, near Bethlehem) and it takes about 1 1/2 hours from there.

The economy is not good here, but it's no worse then many other parts of the country and better then some.

LL, I think it's a little misleading to say that the majority of smaller stores are Spanish owned. Yes, in center city Allentown there are stores where Spanish is the primary language but that is not the case for the whole area. I've found that when I go to stores where I hear Spanish spoken, the clerks are actually bi-lingual, a plus in my mind. America is the only country I know of where the majority of people speak only one language. And I apologize for going off topic.

As for the auto insurance, I've found with talking with friends that there can be a big difference in price depending on the type of cars and how much coverage you get. We insure four cars, two younger then 10 years and two older cars. We just got the premium for the two older ones for 6 months and it's $339 for both. I think our older cars cost just under $600 for both. We do get multiple discounts for different things such as having home insurance, good student discounts, accident free, etc. We use State Farm and have for 30 years in five different states.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley