U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 09:28 AM

245 posts, read 852,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
As for the auto insurance, I've found with talking with friends that there can be a big difference in price depending on the type of cars and how much coverage you get. We insure four cars, two younger then 10 years and two older cars. We just got the premium for the two older ones for 6 months and it's $339 for both. I think our older cars cost just under $600 for both. We do get multiple discounts for different things such as having home insurance, good student discounts, accident free, etc. We use State Farm and have for 30 years in five different states.

My husband and I stayed with Erie Insurance and as I stated before with the same agent (who is licensed both in NC & PA). We also get multiple discounts for home insurance, accident free, etc. The one thing I knew nothing about was "tort" on your auto insurance. My husband (having lived in PA a few years back) kept insisting we get full tort. NC does NOT have such a thing, it was completely foreign to me. So there are things (differences) to consider even within the confines of your auto insurance. I would suggest getting a quote on your vehicles and make sure it's apples to apples (as close to the same coverage as you have now, deductibles, etc.). Sure ours could have been lower if we chose to up our deductible, not take collision, no full tort, etc. We chose to keep it apples to apples with the addition of full tort, hence the reason our auto. ins. "doubled".

Also, I'd like to add that I did get comparison quotes from Nationwide Ins. and State Farm and they were higher than Erie. That's why I stayed with Erie Ins.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 06:51 PM

1 posts, read 2,695 times
Default Lehigh Valley Costs

I have a townhome built in 2000.....1600 sq. ft. with gas heat (hot water forced air.) My monthly utility costs (gas is high during winter, electric high during summer) averages to $200 monthly.

My car/auto insurance cost is only $35 monthly for full coverage.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 03-16-2010 at 07:33 PM.. Reason: Sorry new poster cannot make recommendations or post links

Old 03-17-2010, 04:02 PM

22 posts, read 52,658 times
We live in a townhouse built in 2000 as well. Just a bit over 1900 sq. feet. Electric heat/cooling (heat pump/forced air) Our highest bill has been $188 and that was the month after the increase. Our bill for this past month was $167.

Our water bill is just under $30 every 3 months. Our sewer/trash bill is 120.32 every quarter.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:04 AM

19 posts, read 44,176 times
The drive out to NJ and NYC depends on the traffic. If I don't hit any traffic, I could get to Flemington or Bridgewater, NJ area in 50 minutes and NYC in 1 1/2 hour from Bethlehem Township. However, there are several constructions on I-78--the worst is at the toll plaza in Easton--going on right now. My neighbor complains that it's taking him two hours to get home from Bridgewater area.

We seem to have better job market than other area, but that doesn't mean there is less job competition. NJ has higher unemployment rate. My family and friends in various fields in that state are currently unemployed; few of them haven't held a full-time position since 2007. And some of those people are now looking for jobs in this area. My husband has recently seen an increase in job applicants from NJ and Philadelphia area just for temporary positions at his company.

Another thing you may consider before moving is that some school districts, particularly Easton, Bethlehem and Saucon Valley, are experiencing budget crisis and there have been talks of significant tax increase this year.

Old 03-20-2010, 07:39 AM

528 posts, read 948,880 times
Thanks, folks. It seems like in that case the utility costs are fairly in line with what we are used to. The property taxes are a bit high, considering we'd be going from about $520 to $3000+ perhaps a year. One of the neighborhoods that keeps popping up on our search is Fountain Hill, although we will also consider "suburbs" several miles south, east, or north. We have been sprucing up our home here in NC the past 3 weeks, my wife lost her job now, and we are getting ready to sell. One thing that has cropped up, due to the market we may not get more than $200,000 for it, so that will limit our search there to around 169,900, as we need a bit of padding & expense money to get started (no jobs at first).
As you mentioned taxes, how has the rate held over the past decade, if it's 3000 now, what would it have been 5-10 years ago, and are there any guesses as to how it would increase each 2 years or so?

Old 11-03-2010, 05:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,080 times
It is true??? I was considering moving to Bethlehem, and this is a very good interesting point
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley