U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 05:31 PM

22 posts, read 39,693 times

Advertisements

Hello all, my girlfriend and I have been planning on moving to the Lehigh Valley for a few months now. We both work in the valley and currently commute about an hour one way each day from the Poconos. We are really interested in Bethlehem, Nazareth, Hellertown and possibly Palmer or College hill (probably a little too pricy). After reading our info below where would you recommend as a good place for us? We have been reading many posts on this forum for quite a while now but still can’t decide where we belong! If you need any other info don’t hesitate to ask, thanks in advance!

When are you moving?
Early spring: May at the latest

Where are you coming from?
Poconos

Why are you moving?
My girlfriend and I both work in the Lehigh valley

Where will you be working?
I work in South Bethlehem and she works in Stockertown/Forks Township

Have you been here yet?
Commute there every day

Will you buy or rent?
Definitely looking to rent

If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend?
We would prefer to rent a half of a double or a house but our budget probably wont allow that. We are looking to spend around 600 a month (700 at max) but the lower the better.

Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up?
Walk up, not really into the cookie cutter apartment complexes, we would prefer somewhere with some historical character if possible.

Are you married or single? Do you have children?
A couple but not married, no kids

Do you have pets?
None right now but we would like to get a bulldog eventually

Do you want or need a yard?
Want a yard but it is not a deal breaker

Are you keeping a car?
Yes, we share a car but I also bike alot so nearby bike trails would be great (maybe something a little more challenging than the lehigh canal path)

Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet?
Somewhere in between, it’s ok if it’s busy during the day but would prefer being a little quieter at night. We would like to be away from the noise of major highways and trains in the immediate vicinity.

What do you want to be closest to?
Ideally, we are looking for somewhere equidistant to both of our workplaces, but we would also like to be near some shopping/stores/banks. A walkable downtown is a big desire.

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion, or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood?
We are both white and in our early twenties, ideally looking for somewhere with a young and vibrant feel. (We really like main street Bethlehem but are not dead set on that area.) Our main focus is somewhere we can walk around safely ( especially when I am not around and she needs to go to the corner store/ walk to the car alone)

Thanks again!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 06:20 PM

1,186 posts, read 2,593,303 times
I'd say go for north Bethlehem...sort of around the Moravian College/Liberty HS area. You'll be only a couple of miles from work in the southside. She can take Center St. to Rt. 22 to Rt. 33 which is a decent ride to Forks/Stockertown, maybe 25-30 minutes. You'll be in a reasonable walking distance of Main Street (less than a mile or so).

I don't know if you'll get much more than a 1BR apartment in a converted half double for $600-$700 though, at least not something that's a total piece of crap.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:11 PM

thanks for the input, we really like north bethlehem and 1 br wont be a killer, we did live in tiny ... I mean TINY apartment(s) at college so anything decent sized will be a step up haha. Anyone else have an info?

Old 02-12-2010, 05:52 AM

169 posts, read 605,626 times
North side is a nice area. Since you only have one car you might want to get an apartment on a bus route that goes to the southside. Check out Lanta bus schedule (I dont know what your work schedule is like). I believe the B bus goes to the southside. Bethlehem Township is also somewhere you might want to consider.

Old 02-12-2010, 07:25 AM

12,866 posts, read 29,496,865 times
Good suggestions, I would not have thought about looking for something along the LANTA Welcome to LANTA route, but that's a wonderful idea. While I was waiting in Hellertown for the Bieber bus a few days ago to take me to NYC, a LANTA bus pulled up totally empty and I realized how easy it would be if you lived in Allentown, Bethlehem or Easton to get to NYC via the two buses.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-12-2010, 07:53 AM

I actually drive by the hellertown stop daily! I was thinking if we are close enough I can ride my bike in the summer. I work at Lehigh and they encourage biking to work/ offer bike racks on the shuttles to/from the different parts of campus. I have taken the city bus at college and I quickly learned they are never on time, how is LANTA as far as sticking to a schedule? bethlehem Township was also on my mind but I'm not sure how safe that area is? I would assume its fine but I have heard Freemansburg ave /Linden st can get a little sketchy?

Old 02-13-2010, 07:04 AM

169 posts, read 605,626 times
Bethlehem Township is very nice. Lanta buses run on a schedule, they usually run every hour. I have been taking Lanta for a couple of weeks now and they mainly are on time, maybe 5-10 minutes late at the most.

Old 02-15-2010, 01:56 AM

1 posts, read 1,749 times
I'd have to agree with the 2nd poster- up by MoCo in northside is nice. That's actually where me and my boyfriend are living right now. It's an apartment on High street, which is $575/mo and that includes heat, water, gas, etc. Only thing you pay for otherwise would be internet/cable ($75/mo.) I have a decent sized 1BR with a nice living room, good kitchen and small bathroom. Good for two people though, for sure.

And the building is QUIET. Very rarely do you hear something/someone loud. The street is really safe too- I'm 19, and always walk the streets no matter what time it is. The 7-11 is a three minute walk whenever you need something late at night, haha. Main St is about a 10 minute walk and our cross street is actually Broad which has a lot going on as well (clubs, bars, etc.) Never seen anybody weird outside and there's always somewhere to park.

If you're interested at all I KNOW there are a couple of rooms open in this building and it ranges from $600-700/month. Let me know, I can give you my landlords #.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:01 AM

thanks for the info! PM me his info if you get a chance in case we decide to check it out. Is the building a converted house/building or is it an apartment complex? I know everyone says to avoid the south side but what about fountain hill? I've heard its very iffy depending on the street you are on but no one every goes into any more detail than that. I figure the more options we have the more likely we will be to be happy with our decision.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:52 AM

12,866 posts, read 29,496,865 times
Jphil and dolly - You should probably continue this conversation via direct message's. Just hit the posters name and a drop down menu will appear and a DM option will be available.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley