Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2010, 02:59 PM

4 posts, read 9,411 times

Advertisements

I asked because I live in Warren County NJ, and after my husband and I graduate , me from Rutgers and my husband from UMDNJ. We intend on moving to PA because I hate the property taxes in NJ. I am somewhat familar with Lehigh Valley, but I would like to know what is the average property tax for the area? Such as Hellertown, Bethlehem, Whitehall, Emmaus, certain parts of Allentown and maybe even Stroudsburg. Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 03:09 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
Yes, we do get a lot of NY and NJ people moving here. Just read through a few pages on this forum and the NEPA one. This site may help you with info about property tax: Lehigh County, Pennsylvania Free Public Records Directory

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-28-2010, 06:04 PM

135 posts, read 369,917 times
The average is from 2k-6k. Some area's raised there property taxes during the housing bubble when prices more than doubled in 6 years. Now property values are heading toward the mid 90's level and taxes will not go done. When I bought my home our taxes were around 1k and now they are closer to 4k. Thanks for nothing!

Old 03-01-2010, 04:46 AM

1,032 posts, read 4,264,160 times
I live in Lower Macungie and the taxes are high - not because people from NY/NJ moved here, but because people moved here and lots of new houses were built in areas that did not have any industry to pad the tax base (farm land).

Our taxes are close to $8K, but we get a lot of house for that $$, plus if you want good schools, roads, infrastructure, it costs money.

If you move to an area that is more established and has some sort of industry, your taxes will be lower.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:05 AM

889 posts, read 2,574,623 times
I think, in general terms the answer is always yes, and in particular it is yes for this case. More people moving into an area, raising families and kids, who want access to schools, and cultural and recreational facilities, means taxes will be going up.

The real question is by how much? If you move into an area that benefits from increased sales taxes (the Whitehall retail corridor) or payroll taxes (various office parks), then *in theory* your property taxes or usage taxes should not be going up as much as the same municipality offering the same services without the flow of sales/payroll axes. *In Theory* is the key idea here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley