U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 05:14 AM

12,870 posts, read 29,506,883 times

Advertisements

LL, This is all good and interesting information but pretty much irrelevant to the OP and his search for a place to live. He HAS a job.

Is there some Utopian city and state that we should be directing people to where there are jobs for them and inexpensive houses?

Oh, wait Lehigh Valley was named #8 in Forbes magazine for a city where Americans are getting richer. Full List: Cities Where Americans Are Getting Richer - Forbes.com Maybe this area is not the worst in the country after all. The unemployment rate is high here but if you look at the article I've linked, the area that the OP is moving from actually has a higher unemployment rate.

dobbsart, An easy place to look for houses is here: Real Estate Listings, Homes for Sale and Rental Property Listings – REALTOR.com®

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 09:14 AM

1,187 posts, read 2,594,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I would suggest www.lvarmls.com as a better site to look for housing in the area. The realtor.com site usually doesn't give addresses or other details, like taxes, type of heating/cooling, etc.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:55 AM

John, can you look at houses on that link without a realtor ID?

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:39 AM

135 posts, read 335,260 times
Quote:

It's all free. Another useful site that you should keep up and view also is the lehigh county deed website. It's got all the info on the home along with the sales information. It also shows when owners have refinanced(not all refi's are listed but a large portion and thats easy to find out either way) so this will be helpful if your renting because many landlords are getting foreclosed on and tenants screwed.

Assessment Search Records

Click on property address and your good to go. You can see the mini bubble we experienced in the late 80's early 90's. It's nothing like the one thats currently crashing.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:45 AM

135 posts, read 335,260 times
Quote:
LL, This is all good and interesting information but pretty much irrelevant to the OP and his search for a place to live. He HAS a job.

Is there some Utopian city and state that we should be directing people to where there are jobs for them and inexpensive houses?

Oh, wait Lehigh Valley was named #8 in Forbes magazine for a city where Americans are getting richer. Full List: Cities Where Americans Are Getting Richer - Forbes.com Maybe this area is not the worst in the country after all. The unemployment rate is high here but if you look at the article I've linked, the area that the OP is moving from actually has a higher unemployment rate.

dobbsart, An easy place to look for houses is here: Real Estate Listings, Homes for Sale and Rental Property Listings – REALTOR.com®
And Emmaus is listed under another magazine in the top 100 places to live. It's funny how RODALE, INC is also headquartered in Emmaus. Funny because if you look at the crime index, pupil to teacher ratio in classrooms at East Penn SD and cost of living vs median income for Emmaus during the last decade you'll see that crime has increased a large amount and the other major players in a living situation it's obvious and COMMON KNOWLEDGE those listings are a joke. Give me stats on what makes it so good instead of rhetoric from journalists with agendas.

Rodale, Inc. is an American publisher of health and wellness magazines, books, and digital properties.[1] Rodale has two offices: the main headquarters in Emmaus, Pennsylvania and an office on New York City’s Third Avenue. Rodale, Inc. publishes some of the best-known health and wellness lifestyle magazines, including Men's Health and Prevention.
Rodale, Inc. is one of the largest independent book publishers in the United States. The company has published a collection of bestsellers, including An Inconvenient Truth and Eat This, Not That.

Old 03-07-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifetimeLocal View Post
It's all free. Another useful site that you should keep up and view also is the lehigh county deed website. It's got all the info on the home along with the sales information.
Assessment Search Records
Or if you're looking in Northampton county, try www.ncpub.org

Old 03-07-2010, 10:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,808 times
LV is great to raise kids, it's peaceful. You can enjoy Musikfest in the summer, skiing in winter, almost every HS puts on a great play in the fall and musical in spring; DeSales University's "Summer Shakespeare Theatre" is great. Downtown Bethlehem is lovely during Christmas. There is a small ZOO and, considering the attention span of a 21-month old, it's just perfect size. If you're lucky, you'll see some animals and not just the always-hungry ducks and obese ponies
By the way, since the closest train or subway is some 30-50 miles away, you will need a car to get around.
After living here for over twenty years and raising two kids, I don't think I could point you towards a decent looking park either. I used to take kids to Wehr's Dam (west of Allentown), I think it's decent. As for shopping, visit The Promenade Shops at Saucon Valley, Lehigh Valley Mall, or King of Prussia Mall.
Good luck at your new job!

Old 03-08-2010, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Yes, it's for the public. It can be a little confusing to use for the first time though.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:15 AM

Actually, I think this area has some great parks. In Allentown - Parks and Recreation Bethlehem - Bethlehem Parks - Google Maps

Emmaus - The Borough of Emmaus Pennsylvania Official Web Site - Parks and Recreation Department Macungie - Home (http://macungiepark.com/default.aspx - broken link) Upper Saucon (Southern Lehigh School district) Welcome to Upper Saucon Township and Coopersburg Southern Lehigh Living Memorial Park (sorry, no actual website but it's a nice park with three baseball fields)

Nazareth - http://www.nazarethborough.com/recreation.htm and let's not forget Poole Wildlife Sanctuary - Pool Wildlife Sanctuary | Delaware and Lehigh National Heritage Corridor

Realtors, See This.

Old 03-08-2010, 02:00 PM

17 posts, read 48,464 times
I guess things like parks etc. just depend on your perspective. We've just come from Madison WI, which if nothing else places a premium on nice, well-kept, spacious parkland throughout the city. But I'm sure we can adjust to whatever alternative standards exist in other locations.

And the housing/population/unemployment debates are indeed slightly off-topic from what I need to know, but LehighValley's post really helps. Gives us at least an idea of some things to do with the lil' one, and how life is lived in the LV.

We'll check out the realty sites that were mentioned here as well. But if anyone has any further posts regarding daily life in LV that could be helpful to us, please put them up. It looks like we're definitely taking this opportunity--the job and security are just too good to turn down--and will cross our fingers that my wife and daughter can find their place. I'm sure there will be many nice things that we'll discover once we move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley