U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2010, 06:36 AM

1,811 posts, read 2,321,702 times

Advertisements

Hiya,

Posted a thread about this a few months ago that was very helpful - posting again to ask some additional questions!

Fiancee is going to grad school at DeSales for a couple years. Looking for a 2BR rental as I run a small business and need a sizable office.

>> When are you moving?

April 30.

Where are you coming from?

New York, NY.

>> Why are you moving?

Fiancee @ DeSales.

>> Where will you be working?

I'll be working from home.

>> Have you been here yet?

Nope! Going this weekend. Grew up outside of Philly (DE area) but don't know the Lehigh Valley too well.

>> Will you buy or rent?

Rent.

>> If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend?

Apartment or townhouse/condo would be fine. We'd like to spend no more than $1200 but can go a little higher if necessary.

>> Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up?

No preference.

>> Are you married or single? Do you have children?

Will be married this summer. No children and no plans for any.

>> Do you prefer public or private schools?

N/A.

>> Do you have pets?

Two small indoor cats.

>> Do you want or need a yard?

A yard? What's that?

>> Are you keeping a car?

Yes. A garage would be great but private parking at least is a must.

>> Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet?

Proximity to activity is nice -- we'll miss being able to walk to things, but don't want to live in a party neighborhood.

>> What do you want to be closest to?

School is the only commute we're looking at, and we'd prefer that it not be more than 15 minutes away, though for 'the perfect place' would be willing to go a little further out.

I'm guessing that there isn't much public transportation to or from DeSales, so it's not like some college towns where you want to be on a bus line or something.

>> Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood?

Don't really care. I think we want what most people want ... friendly neighbors, not a lot of bother.

>> Phillies or Mets?

Mets (sorry!).

A lot of this was answered very well in my post from December. My question now is about Bethlehem in particular as I know nothing about it: which neighborhoods are nicer and which are more affordable? Is the traffic going to be bad heading south out of town to DeSales in the morning? I've heard that you can 'live in the historic district and walk to shops and restaurants' but I'm curious if that's just something that real estate agents say or if it's really the case -- and if so, which part is the historic district?

We're going to look at places on Saturday and so far it's mostly higher-end (for us) condos/apartments in the suburbs -- stuff near Hellertown or Upper/Lower Saucon. Those look good so far but I'd like to expand our search a little bit just because we aren't going to get many opportunities to get out there before we move.

Thanks for your help!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 08:13 AM

2 posts, read 7,659 times
I graduated from DeSales 3 years ago and loved it :-) As far as apartments...the north side of Bethlehem near Historic Main Street is really lovely. The buildings are old, charming and historic. That will be about a 20 min. drive to/from DeSales (I drove it for 4 years!). Main Street does have some rest/shops, but nothing like the rest/shops in NYC. BUT - it still is within walking distance. Condos in Hellertown and Upper/Lower Saucon will be very nice, but will certainly not be close to the 'downtown' area. If you are really looking to be close to something, I'd try Main Street areas in Bethlehem, or even Hellertown. Good luck!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley