U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 10:35 PM

8 posts, read 24,094 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I am just wondering if anyone is familiar with Hereford Estates Mobile Home Community in Hereford. We are hoping to get out of Long Island by the summer....it is so overcrowded and overpriced now and my husband will be transferred to Allentown. We are thinking about starting off in a lower priced home, possibly a mobile or manufactured home community. This will allow us to save for a couple of years for a bigger home. In Long Island there are not many MH communities and sadly you get labeled for living in one. When I come to PA I see a lot of MH communities and some look very nice. I spoke to the lady at Hereford Estates and she was very reassuring about how nice it was so we will probably go down in April to see it in person. The lot fees there are very reasonable. I know the downside of owning a mobile home is the resale value so we would buy a used one, but not a very old one. The prices are low and some have been on the market for almost a year, so I'm sure we could make a good deal on some of them. I'm just wondering if anyone has any opinions or information that would help us make a decision. I have a 10 year old daughter and I don't know what the opinion of the school kids would be about kids living in a mobile home community. I'm nervous about my daughter starting in a new school, although she makes friends very easily. Does anyone know how the schools are there. I believe the lady at Hereford said the middle school is called Perkiomen?? I thank anyone who could give me any feedback on the schools and what living in a mobile home community would be like. Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 08:48 AM

12,865 posts, read 29,481,742 times
Hereford is really not in the Lehigh Valley, it's in Berks county, which is considered the Reading metro area. From what I understand Perkiomen schools are good. You are right in thinking that people will have some prejudices about mobile park living, I would not be telling the truth if I didn't say that. Is price the main reason you are looking that far from Allentown?

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:26 AM

Thank you for your honesty toobusytoday! Yes, price is the issue right now. We have to keep it cheap for a couple of years. We got in a bit of debt and will be debt free by the summer, (thank heavens!!) so we need to go as low as possible for now. We want to start slow. In a year or two we will be back on our feet, but living in Long Island is crazy. Houses are in the mid $300's and that's for a so-so neighborhood. I just want to get out and move to a nice area where the homes aren't over the top! I love PA and go there every chance I get. I would love to look even further out (like Lititz area) but can't be that far from Allentown. I don't want my daughter to go to school and be looked down upon for moving into a mobile home park. She's scared as it is! I do appreciate your feedback on that issue. It's something for us to think about and it's been my biggest fear. We thought about an older condo development but I'm not sure how that will work. We were going down to Hereford Estates on April 17 for an open house. I guess it can't hurt to take a look. Thank you again for your feedback. I would love to hear what everyone else thinks and if anyone living in a mobile home community with children have ever experienced any problems with other school children? Thank you all very much...

Old 03-24-2010, 04:12 PM

1,186 posts, read 2,592,065 times
About 20 minutes north in Breinigsville is the Green Acres mobile home community. It's very nice, possibly one of the nicest around, but I've heard the lot rent is pretty expensive ($400-$500/mo.). At least it's Parkland school district, which is considered one of the best around.

Old 03-24-2010, 05:58 PM

56 posts, read 167,431 times
Green Acres starts at $604/mo in the older section.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:09 PM

1,186 posts, read 2,592,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Quite Right View Post
Green Acres starts at $604/mo in the older section.
Wow. One might as well rent an apartment (or buy a regular house) at that rate.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:55 PM

Thank you guys for your input. I actually did look up green acres and saw the lots were over $600 rental. I liked it because it was all little courts and looked really nice. And I loved Breinigsville! This is going to be a hard decision. I don't want to do the wrong thing. I've heard Parkland School district is really good. Also looked up a place in Macungie, something like Indian Village?? It's across the street from these huge white tanks (there are quite a few). Does anyone know what those white tanks are??? Well, thanks again for your info!

Old 03-24-2010, 11:06 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,535,431 times
Hi Annie!

Indian Creek Village is near the Buckeye Pipeline tanks:
Welcome to Buckeye Partners, L.P.
RIGZONE - Company Overview - Buckeye Partners, L.P.

As far as prejudice against those living in mobile home communities, of course some does exist - but to me, children and their parents could potentially be hateful/picky about anything. Don't let others stop you from pursuing this option if it is something you feel would be positive for your family!

I would live in a mobile in a HEARTBEAT if it were most feasible for my financial situation. It's a shame Green Acres is so costly, it is really a beautiful-looking place

Old 03-25-2010, 02:51 PM

Thank you for your kind words Karen! I guess I'll have to just drive down there and see how things look. Sadly here, kids can be very cruel. Not all, but there are some that are very judgmental. I come from an area that is not so bad and the kids in my daughters school are great but it's just gotten so unaffordable here in Long Island. And forget the taxes. Average neighborhood is about 6-7,000. per year. The really nice area's can go up to 25,000 per year. It's gotten insane. Which is why so many New Yorkers are getting out. On Long Island, basically you work to live! I'm hearing more and more people say that! It's a wonderful place, but hard to survive. It just seems like a mobile home development could be my only option. I would love to hear from anyone living in a mobile home development and if you have any school age children, have they had any problems in school with living there?? Thank you all again for your time and help!

Old 03-27-2010, 12:19 PM

7 posts, read 35,693 times
hi annie. i live in pennsburg, a small town just 7 miles from hereford estates you mentioned. i know a friend of a friend who lives there and is unhappy. she lives in a newer mobile home but the two homes on either side of her are rather run down and unkempt. since it's a friend of a friend, i don't know anymore than that. as for upper perk schools, i worked at hereford elem as a special ed asst. the school system there is great. we had several children form the "trailer park" and i can't recall one instance where a child was made fun of for this. perhaps it does happen when the adult is around but it seems to me that kids around here are pretty accepting of everyone. good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley