U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-09-2010, 04:24 PM
 
181 posts, read 551,015 times
Reputation: 95

Advertisements

I am a senior in high school and will be attending Muhlenberg College next year. I have heard some not so great things about Allentown and that a lot of the students stay on campus on weekends. However, i also heard from a few students that they love going into the center of town if they're with a lot of people.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-10-2010, 05:28 AM
 
6 posts, read 34,077 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRider23 View Post
I am a senior in high school and will be attending Muhlenberg College next year. I have heard some not so great things about Allentown and that a lot of the students stay on campus on weekends. However, i also heard from a few students that they love going into the center of town if they're with a lot of people.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Muhlenberg college huh, I graduate next year in Cinema

There is always Doney park, a nice variety of night clubs around 7th street and center city.

The park is not all that bad, just look up a guide book bro.

As for the center city on the weekend it can be nice, but crime has risen 10 fold with the huge NYC and NJ immigrants puring in.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2010, 07:36 AM
 
4,123 posts, read 7,996,249 times
Reputation: 3687
Find ways to get to Bethlehem and hang out at wired, the Wildflower Cafe, and Deja Brew. When you are 21 you can go the Liberty St Tavern in Allentown by the College. Until then, stay on campus and do not fraternize or mingle with residents of Allenswamp.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2010, 11:11 AM
 
1,186 posts, read 2,592,065 times
Reputation: 929
I doubt that very many Muhlenberg students hang out in the "center of town" if that's defined as Allentown below 15th street or so, unless they're looking to buy drugs.

19th street has the Civic Theater and a couple of hipster hangouts. There are a couple of bars within walking distance of the college.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2010, 03:23 PM
 
12,865 posts, read 29,481,742 times
Reputation: 7433
Now that baseball season is here you can go to an Iron Pigs game ironpigsbaseball.com: Home - They will be winding up their season when you come in early fall. There are TWO drive-in movie places within 30 minutes of campus - Shankweilers and Becky's. Becky's is near Blue Mountain where you can go skiing and snowboarding in the winter. Bethlehem also hosts festivals through the year, the biggest one being Musikfest in August - might be worth a special trip before you start!

Hawk Mountain, to the west of Allentown is a great place to hike. Emmaus, to the south of Allentown is a nice small walkable town where you can rent bikes, hang out at a coffee-shop or visit the used bookstore run by some recent college grads. And of course, there is shopping at the Promenade Shops in Center Valley - Welcome to The Promenade Shops at Saucon Valley

Funny you asked, because I'm college shopping with my son and he says "there's nothing to do here!" and we're not looking at any colleges closer then an hour away. Son is wrong, btw.
__________________
Please follow THESE rules.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2010, 06:21 PM
 
181 posts, read 551,015 times
Reputation: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migueljs View Post
Muhlenberg college huh, I graduate next year in Cinema

There is always Doney park, a nice variety of night clubs around 7th street and center city.

The park is not all that bad, just look up a guide book bro.

As for the center city on the weekend it can be nice, but crime has risen 10 fold with the huge NYC and NJ immigrants puring in.
first of all, congrats man

Yeah dorney is definitely close, and i'll be sure to stay away from bad parts of allentown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Now that baseball season is here you can go to an Iron Pigs game ironpigsbaseball.com: Home - They will be winding up their season when you come in early fall. There are TWO drive-in movie places within 30 minutes of campus - Shankweilers and Becky's. Becky's is near Blue Mountain where you can go skiing and snowboarding in the winter. Bethlehem also hosts festivals through the year, the biggest one being Musikfest in August - might be worth a special trip before you start!

Hawk Mountain, to the west of Allentown is a great place to hike. Emmaus, to the south of Allentown is a nice small walkable town where you can rent bikes, hang out at a coffee-shop or visit the used bookstore run by some recent college grads. And of course, there is shopping at the Promenade Shops in Center Valley - Welcome to The Promenade Shops at Saucon Valley

Funny you asked, because I'm college shopping with my son and he says "there's nothing to do here!" and we're not looking at any colleges closer then an hour away. Son is wrong, btw.
that sounds awesome! Maybe i'll ask some of the people i already know if they'd be interested in going to that festival in August. Do you have any details on it and do you know know when it is in August?

Lots of great ideas- thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2010, 06:43 PM
 
12,865 posts, read 29,481,742 times
Reputation: 7433
It's all over Bethlehem, very big deal here. Musikfest 2010 - Aug. 6-15 - Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
__________________
Please follow THESE rules.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2010, 04:39 AM
 
181 posts, read 551,015 times
Reputation: 95
that looks awesome!! thank you
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2010, 12:00 PM
 
Location: Nassau/Queens border
1,484 posts, read 2,879,505 times
Reputation: 1137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migueljs View Post
Muhlenberg college huh, I graduate next year in Cinema

There is always Doney park, a nice variety of night clubs around 7th street and center city.

The park is not all that bad, just look up a guide book bro.

As for the center city on the weekend it can be nice, but crime has risen 10 fold with the huge NYC and NJ immigrants puring in.


My daughter just made the decision to go to Muhlenberg as a FILM Major (irony of ironies). How did you like it? (Please don't tell me anything bad lol). She's not a huge Party person but she was told that there is a movie theater in town that shows Indie movies. Is that true?

We're from NYC so I think she does have some street smarts. How bad is it really?? I've heard lots of conflicting stuff.
~Ilona~
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2010, 12:19 PM
 
1,186 posts, read 2,592,065 times
Reputation: 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlonaG View Post
My daughter just made the decision to go to Muhlenberg as a FILM Major (irony of ironies). How did you like it? (Please don't tell me anything bad lol). She's not a huge Party person but she was told that there is a movie theater in town that shows Indie movies. Is that true?

We're from NYC so I think she does have some street smarts. How bad is it really?? I've heard lots of conflicting stuff.
~Ilona~
I believe the 19th street theater shows indie films.

The college itself is in one of the nicer areas of Allentown, I would not be worried about safety on campus. Center city Allentown (generally below 15th street, seems to get worse as the street number goes down from there) is the rough part, not West End where Muhlenberg is located.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top