U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 11:55 AM

12,870 posts, read 29,512,737 times

Advertisements

Why look at just elementary schools? Most of the elementary schools are fine, but unless you are planning to move, it's more important to look at the Middle and High Schools. Southern Lehigh Schools are better then Allentown, Bethlehem or Quakertown and right where you work. If you would like to live in a city, yes, Bethlehem is hands down better then Allentown and IMHO, better then Easton. I don't understand thinking of Parkland instead of East Penn and Emmaus area, which is much closer then way out in Parkland area and with the same type/quality of schools.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 05:15 PM

4 posts, read 13,413 times
Would you all consider this location far enough south of Allentown to be okay?

200 W Mountain Road Allentown, PA 18103

Old 05-07-2010, 07:11 PM

Only if it's Salisbury township, and it looks like it might be. Otherwise you are talking about Allentown school district. That area should be safe enough, if that's your main concern. Mostly older but well kept houses.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:05 PM

4 posts, read 13,413 times
No kids here Sounds good, thanks for the advice - just wanted to be sure it's far enough south to be out of the troublesome spots of "downtown". Appreciated!

Old 05-09-2010, 01:49 PM

1 posts, read 2,127 times
Default looking to relocate to either allentown or scraton,wilkes-barre area

which is better?have a 5 yr old little girl need shoppin,good schools,entertainment,safe area thanx for any info

Old 05-09-2010, 06:22 PM

43 posts, read 191,244 times
I just moved here last September and I live near Dorney Park in the East Penn school district. My daughter is very happy at the High School. Parkland is also a great school too but it's much larger than Emmaus and that has it's downside if you have kids in sports (or so I hear). Check out Craigslist for rentals, that's how I found where my rental. Good Luck with your move, I'm happy here and I hope you will be too.

Old 05-10-2010, 05:12 AM

Seminole,
I'm sure you can find any of those things in any of the three cities. My suggestion is that you read through a few pages on this forum as well as the NEPA one and then come back with some questions. As far as safety goes, center city Allentown probably has more crime then S-WB.

Realtors, See This.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:23 PM

1,187 posts, read 2,595,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcavanaugh View Post
Would you all consider this location far enough south of Allentown to be okay?

200 W Mountain Road Allentown, PA 18103
That's definitely considered Allentown, it's an apartment complex. Not a bad area in general. They just built a bunch of $200k houses next to it. But I don't know what kind of people live in the apartments. Make a visit on a Friday or Saturday night to get a feel for it.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:24 PM

143 posts, read 422,838 times
Smile Greetings and Welcome to the Valley,

Seminole,

Keep the kids out of the Allentown School District. Within the last week a Task Force to eliminate violence, drugs and gangs has been put together.

A couple weeks ago two kids were slashed at Wm. Allen, one needed 20 stitches to repair his face.

The slashing was gang related.

Yes almost anywhere but Allentown and you should be ok.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:18 AM

143 posts, read 422,838 times
Angry Here is a link to story of the violence and trouble

Here is a link to story of the violence and trouble in the Allentown School District. A committee has been put together to try to stop the violence, gangs, and assaults that take place all most daily but surely weekly. This Tuesday a 17 year old had his jaw broken and teeth broken off in an assault on his way home from school.

Yesterday Wm Allen called for a Unit to come to the nurses' office a student was being treated for a head injury.

Our own sons attended all Allentown Public Schools. We could see the change taking place as they advanced in grades. Our youngest was attending Raub when a student stole a car and crashed into the Principals car, then another student was beaten so badly he was in a coma for several days before he came to. A year ago a student and teacher were attacked in a Raub Classroom by a student and his adult relative. No one knew how they got the adult into the school.

We had a huge influx of individuals as a result of our former mayor speaking to groups out of state. Many came from New York City and Puerto Rico. Now we have three gangs roaming the city, the Bloods, Crips and the Latin Kings. Assaults and hit and runs are a daily event. Our mayor has tried to keep all this out of the media, but he has failed to do so.

School District Safety Task Force Holds First Meeting - News Story - WFMZ Allentown (http://www.wfmz.com/news/23524490/detail.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or