U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 12:31 PM

12,870 posts, read 29,506,883 times

Advertisements

PA Dutchman - I don't really think the house in question is in Allentown School district. I think it's in Salisbury.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 06:54 PM

143 posts, read 422,785 times
Smile toobusytoday thank you for correcting me on this.

toobusytoday thank you for correcting me on this.

As I said I have plenty of first hand experience with the Allentown School District having two sons attend from Kindergarten to 12 TH Grade. Plus I volunteered for a year last year in a center city Elementary School here in Allentown.

If anyone wants to know more about the case now in Federal Court in Philadelphia and the victimization of 4 children from Central Middle School they may ask me directly.

That information is a little too grahic for this site, but another reason you don't want your child attending a Allentown School District School currently.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:33 AM

17 posts, read 48,464 times
Perspective from someone who just relocated, last month, with wife and two-year-old daughter in tow, to a pleasant house in Emmaus, PA, having absolutely no prior experience or knowledge of the Lehigh Valley or eastern Pennsylvania (really, Pennsylvania at all). Here is my quick impression: I don't even want to drive through Allentown's center city, or most areas of Allentown, except West Allentown, which is leafy and beautiful (but I don't perceive a lot of rentals there). Bethlehem has some pleasant areas, but the entire Lehigh Valley, despite everyone's best efforts, is just really struggling and suffering from having lost its industrial past; and, my apologies to all who were born and raised here, there's just an overwhelming feeling I get of the local societies being sort of backward-looking, not really wanting to be fully in the 21st century yet. The area is suffering for that attitude as well.

Now, that said:

My family and I are quite happy being in Emmaus. It seems that whatever progressive, smart, younger vibe exists in the Lehigh Valley is strong there, there are lots of young families and local shops, seem to be some very good parks and activities. Our biggest problem so far has been the fact that our landlords failed to mention the very busy train crossing two blocks away, upon which freight trains blare their horns all the way through town at all hours of the day and night. I will say that my first impression of Emmaus was of a quieter, more upscale burg, and since moving into our house I have had a little more of a feeling that the "wrong side of the tracks" is getting ever-closer to certain parts of town. But the working-class, biker-and-tattoo, loud-beers-on-a-Friday-night vibe is just all over the Lehigh Valley. It's in the blood.

We just moved from Elkin, North Carolina, f'r goodness sakes, about as rural and Southern as it gets (where my wife grew up, incidentally), and there is a natural foods co-op store, and public libraries that actually allow you to participate in their programs for children (there is no regional library system here), and which have open storytimes for all preschool ages throughout the year (unlike in the Lehigh Valley, where you have to sign up and be authorized to even show up at a toddler's storytime, and they only hold a handful of dates per year). If you're being culturally compared unfavorably with a notch on the Bible Belt, it's not good for your area. Just yesterday, the woman at our local grocery store was appalled that my wife brought her own paper bags to re-use. She didn't know what to think. I mean, come on.

Long way of saying to those who are getting ready to move here: I don't know where you're coming from, but while we have found most people around here to be extremely friendly and helpful, and there really does seem to be a good heart here, you might want to lower your expectations a bit if you're looking for an area that's rocketing forward into the future. You'll find lots to like in the right areas, and as long as you use common sense I don't think you need to worry too much about these crime stats (i.e. don't live in the center of Allentown or on the Southside of Bethlehem).

Old 09-01-2010, 04:29 AM

1 posts, read 3,318 times
Exclamation The locals are all hustlers

The locals are all hustlers they were scamming the New Yorkers and the New Jersey People so much that most of them moved away. Allentown enticed outsiders with cheap home prices but they made up big time by charging excessive water bills and etc. People in NJ and NY that had one job now needed 2 jobs. The courts are all corrupted and everything was design to take NY and NJ people property and personal items because the bills were so high, most people could not afford them. Therefore, the courts put a lien on their property and sold it at an action and still put the lien on their credit reports … a real hustle that is why most of the people returned back to New York and to New Jersey with hustle stories of Allentown, PA. So to make money Allentown, PA is now a ghost town if you are not an addict. Allentown, PA major funds come from the government for drug treatment… Not for Families!

Last edited by toobusytoday; 09-01-2010 at 06:00 AM..

Old 09-07-2010, 08:02 PM

107 posts, read 181,890 times
If you're still considering a school district - try Northwestern Lehigh in New Tripoli. It's north of Allentown and Parkland. The area is wonderful. We lived in Schnecksville (before we moved to the midwest), and I miss it so much. Good luck with your move.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:24 AM

3 posts, read 8,685 times
Trying to locate some apt 2 bedroom in the Desales college area. Many people are saying Hellertown/Coopersburg area.
This apt was passed to me:
Mod cut - sorry but new posters cannot post links.
I have been told to avoid Allentown area. Plus is seems far to me.
My gut feeling is no. I do have an email out to local police dept. This would be for two females.
Thank you in advance.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 02-25-2011 at 07:35 AM..

Old 02-25-2011, 07:41 AM

3 posts, read 8,685 times
The apt area is 402 S 15th St. in Allentown, Pa.
I am just trying to know what area of Allentown that is considered?
Thank you

Old 02-25-2011, 09:48 AM

12,870 posts, read 29,506,883 times
Fifteenth street is near the YMCA and sort of west central Allentown. I would not consider that area compared to Hellertown/Coopersburg/Center Valley/South Bethlehem, all of which would be more convenient to DeSales.

Have you seen this page? http://www.desales.edu/default.aspx?pageid=6249 or Craigslist http://allentown.craigslist.org/

You might also check out Lehigh's off campus page - http://www4.lehigh.edu/housing/offcampus Anything that is close to Lehigh would also work for DeSales.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 11-22-2017, 09:21 PM

105 posts, read 105,207 times
What do you have to say about Lehigh Parkway neighborhood? Im looking over by S Howard st area? I read that yes there is crime in Allentown just like any other city but if you keep to yourself and don't bother with it your fine. What is your opinion about Allentown? I am also looking at an area on east side by Hamilton st? Think its Dutch Hill area. Any opinions Please would help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or