U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2010, 10:10 AM

1 posts, read 3,955 times

Advertisements

I live in Blue Bell and recently accepted a job just north of Easton (close to Kesslersville). When i went up for the interview i took the NE extension to 22 East to 33 North - took a little over an hour. Anybody know of any shortcuts that will help me avoid some of the 22 traffic or otherwise?

Thanks for any help you can give me. I am not very familiar with the area.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 11:08 AM

205 posts, read 759,754 times
That's pretty much the best way you can go. You can try 309n to 378n to 22e to 33n, or 309n to 78e to 33n too, but it would take just as long.

Old 05-15-2010, 01:23 PM

143 posts, read 422,870 times
Smile Unless you can find reliable car pool it probably will

Unless you can find a very reliable car pool it probably will too much for you, not only physically but monetary.

I worked in Fogelsville for 36 years we had a number of people who car pooled for years from over the mountain north of here. But they had GREAT reliable coworkers sharing the driving and costs.

My son is a professional and works for a Large Medical Software Company. He attempted to do what you are thinking about. In six months he had to move to area where his employee was. It wore him out, late days at work, bad weather, fuel costs and safety kept mounting up.

Maybe you can get a room or something cheap and go home weekends. All those Routes you mentioned have been having seasonal road work for years. Route 309 was a nightmare for years, we use to visit my Aunt in Abington PA. that way.

Then we went for the Turnpike and it has its construction areas as well. Route 222 around Reading is undergoing a large construction project and will be for sometime at the Exit for the Reading Airport.

I subscribe to the Reading Eagle on line, Routes 422, 61 and 78 have accidents daily.

That is not an easy ride, we go down to Reading on Route 222 often to shop. More and more miles before Routes 222 and 73 meet traffic is stopped with all the new shopping centers and homes. During the week Routes 78 and 222 are nightmares when people go home from work. As I mentioned I drove from Allentown to Fogelsville for 36 years. My hours were 6:30 A.M. to 2:30 P.M.

One day the company changed our hours, getting off at 5:00 P.M. was terrible, it made all the difference.

Today Fox News carried a report that gas maybe going up to $5.00 a gallon, there is NO reason for it of course. They can get more taxes for each gallon and the government is considering it now to help pay for our new HUGE Trillions of Dollars of debt.

Old 05-15-2010, 07:00 PM

1,187 posts, read 2,596,395 times
You could try taking the NE Extension north, getting off at Quakertown, take Allentown Road and other backroads up to 309 in Coopersburg, 309 north to 78 east to 33 north. That will cut out all of the route 22 rushhour slowness. Taking the NE extension all the way to Allentown takes you a bit out of the way as well. I don't know how much time this would cut out but might be worth a try.

Old 05-15-2010, 07:01 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,538,128 times
If the traffic bothers you, you could always shoot over and take Route 611 along the river for a change of scenery once a week or something. It would be a bit shorter distance wise but probably similar time wise.

Good Luck!

Old 05-16-2010, 07:31 AM

12,870 posts, read 29,517,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnZ963 View Post
You could try taking the NE Extension north, getting off at Quakertown, take Allentown Road and other backroads up to 309 in Coopersburg, 309 north to 78 east to 33 north. That will cut out all of the route 22 rushhour slowness. Taking the NE extension all the way to Allentown takes you a bit out of the way as well. I don't know how much time this would cut out but might be worth a try.

Just a slight explanation about the route 309 stretch from the Quakertown exit of the turnpike to route 78 in Center Valley. If you look on a map you'll see Old Bethlehem Pike just west of, and parallel to, Route 309. You would definitely want to take this road instead of 309 as far as you can. It ends up just north of Coopersburg at an intersection with route 309 and 378. The reason to avoid 309 for as long as you can is due to traffic and construction between the two towns. Old Bethlehem Pike is a nice road, no lights until you get to Coopersburg and traffic is usually light. Once you get on route 309, you will have just a couple of miles before you get onto route 78.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley