U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 03:41 PM

6 posts, read 35,108 times

Advertisements

I've recently purchased a home in Allentown, PA and am looking for anyone in the area to give me some suggestions. What are the best places to eat (local, not commercial chains), the fun things to do, the interesting places to visit, etc.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2006, 02:06 PM

2 posts, read 7,956 times
What part of Allentown? West Allentown is generally much nicer....most of the rest of Allentown is going downhill.....both crime, idiots in the legislature and an overall handout mentality permeates that portion....What would you like to know specifically?

Old 08-07-2006, 04:27 PM

2 posts, read 8,030 times
GreenGuyJ -

I used to live there...I would suggest the Chicken Lounge if you're in the mood for "bar food", good/cozy atmosphere and drinks with friends...

OR

although it's a chain, Carrabba's...it doesn't feel like a chain and the food is WONDERFUL!

There was a small coffeehouse near the hospital that we used to frequent...I'll have to try to remember the name....

Keep in touch!

Good Luck!

Old 08-08-2006, 07:36 AM

4,212 posts, read 8,307,445 times
The diner on 18th and Tilghman is top notch.

Old 08-09-2006, 07:11 PM

6 posts, read 35,108 times
Our house is between 15th and 16th streets on Liberty. It's considered "west side" but it's in what I would consider a "transitional" neighborhood area. It's not as nice as the 25th street or further west region, but it's a lot nicer than the "center city district."

Thanks for your recommendations. Any other suggestions are welcome!

Old 08-11-2006, 02:39 PM

3 posts, read 25,495 times
I agree Carrabba's is great. My favorite is in Bethlehem though. Bethlehem Brew Works. Excellent food and beer.

Old 08-13-2006, 08:17 PM

17 posts, read 87,363 times
Default wert's cafe

You're real close to Wert's cafe near the A. fairgrounds..I think it is around 18th Street just off Liberty St(in an alley). Has been an Allentown staple for years, awesome food and family owned.
I also agree with the Bethlehem Brewworks, they are supposed to be opening a sight in downtown Atown(Brewworks) at 10th and Hamilton...don't know the progress on that new development as it has been difficult for Allentown politically with an administrative gov't change(new mayor). I thought it was supposed to open this year??? Try the LOOP across from PPL at No. 9th street between Linden and Hamilton. My neighbor owns it and they only serves breakfast and lunch, but awesome food(sandwiches and wraps)
Don't forget to visit the Allentown Fair(that is if you like local fairs!!)
The art museum and Baum school of Art downtown are nice to visit(Andy Warhol exhibit is in the art museum currently) Not alot of fun stuff to do but there are some beautiful parks to visit(Trexler, Lehigh Parkway)

You might want to try Pistachios Restaurant(HOT hangout SPOT for locals) and King George INN both near Cedar Crest Blvd. and Hamilton (in shopping strip). Chicken Lounge is near there too!

Hope this is helpful....watch for Mayfair in spring...Memorial day weekend...

Old 08-14-2006, 09:06 AM

4,212 posts, read 8,307,445 times
between 15th and 16th is not the ideal area it once was. On 15th and Gordon is the Pizza place which Im sure you have already found. It is pretty good and owned by a guy who was raised in the business. His father owned a place called Vesuvios which was a great place in the 70's and 80's. Also there is the WAWA and for a convenience store they have great food.

Old 09-14-2006, 06:55 PM

16 posts, read 92,485 times
Cool how is it there?

Hi,
Sorry we're not in Allentown, but are also thinking about moving there. How is it there? Is it big? Easy to get around? We've found quite a few sites and directories online. Try them, there's lots of information, and since you're right there then you can find these places. Let us know how you like it. My girlfriend has relatives in Titusville, PA and we want to move to the state, but not be within too close of a distance.
Good luck

Old 08-05-2007, 12:26 PM

2 posts, read 6,807 times
Default Allentown Dining Suggestions

The answers depend on your tastes, your lifestyle. Specific location has some relevance, too, but if you don’t mind driving, your choices reach to all three cities. For example, you can live in center city Allentown and be in South Bethlehem in 20 minutes or center city Easton in 25 minutes.

But to get you started closer to home, some fun restaurants are the Bay Leaf in the 900 block of Hamilton (better/fine dining), Grumpy’s on Mauch Chunk Road just north of the city (best ribs/chicken around, very informal), Dougherty’s around 20th & Tilghman (burgers basically, bar), Youell’s near 22nd (?) and Walnut/Reading Road south of Lake Muhlenberg (good seafood), Alladin’s on Union Boulevard just east of the Tilghman Street bridge (excellent Middle Eastern), and Bellisimo’s at 13th & Tilghman (Italian).

The other suggestions -- Wert's, King George (pricey), Chicken Lounge -- are good, too. Also nearby you is Rangler's Roost, 18th & Liberty.

Then there's the other two cities:

Bethlehem - Apollo's and Edge on Broad Street between Main and Guetter (somewhat upscale), Starfish Brasserie at Broad & Guetter (similar to Apollo's but smaller), Tally Ho on East Fourth near Broadway on the South Side (great burgers, chili), and Looper's on East Third (great martinis, decent dining).
Regarding the Brew Works, compared to these, the Bethlehem location is pedestrian, loud and I don't much like the smell of fermenting brews, but then again I prefer martinis.

Easton - I've eaten in the Center Square area several times and have never been disappointed. I can't recall the restaurant names, but just drive to 3rd & Northampton, park, and browse the offerings.

Bon appetit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley