Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 04:01 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times

Advertisements

I doubt that you can find anything in Bucks with a house on it for under $150,000. Lehigh County adjoins very rural parts of Bucks, Montgomery and Berks county. The only really developed parts are the city's and the fast growing East Penn School District. Most of the schools in my school district are right next to farm land. One of the reasons Bucks is so expensive is because their schools are very good and they are within commuting distance to NJ and Philly.

According to this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bucks_County,_Pennsylvania
Quote:
As of 2000, the population was 597,635. A 2004 U.S. Census estimate placed the population at 621,342, making it the fourth most populous county in Pennsylvania (after Philadelphia, Allegheny, and Montgomery counties), and the 95th most populous county in the United States. As of 2000, it is the 76th wealthiest county in the nation as measured by median family income

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 06-21-2010 at 04:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 07:42 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,979,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I doubt that you can find anything in Bucks with a house on it for under $150,000. Lehigh County adjoins very rural parts of Bucks, Montgomery and Berks county. The only really developed parts are the city's and the fast growing East Penn School District. Most of the schools in my school district are right next to farm land.
I like some of the towns in Lehigh, but they're just a bit too far from our jobs. The Upper Bucks area is perfect in terms of commuting. We're not planning on moving for a while so its neither here nor there for now, we're just trying to gather as much information as we can.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:37 PM

379 posts, read 512,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
I like some of the towns in Lehigh, but they're just a bit too far from our jobs. The Upper Bucks area is perfect in terms of commuting. We're not planning on moving for a while so its neither here nor there for now, we're just trying to gather as much information as we can.
I used to live in Clinton. The taxes in High Bridge are outrageous, even by Hunterdon County standards. Great town though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I doubt that you can find anything in Bucks with a house on it for under $150,000. Lehigh County adjoins very rural parts of Bucks, Montgomery and Berks county. The only really developed parts are the city's and the fast growing East Penn School District. Most of the schools in my school district are right next to farm land. One of the reasons Bucks is so expensive is because their schools are very good and they are within commuting distance to NJ and Philly.

According to this Bucks County, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I might have to look in Pike or Monroe then, or possibly southern Wayne County (Lake Ariel). I think Pike County has more of what I'm looking for. Sussex County, NJ would be perfect, but I doubt I could find what I'm looking for in my price range. I basically want to be within a 2.5 hour drive to NYC. Upper Bucks County is a great place to live too.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:46 PM

1 posts, read 3,706 times
Lightbulb Upper Bucks County

Don't forget that there is going to be gas drilling in Upper Bucks County. Be sure to find out if the property has signed a gas lease. There are liens against every property in Upper Bucks who signed leases.

Outside of Bucks County 37 of 67 counties are in the Marcellus Shale and banks are hesitating to approve mortgages on properties with gas leases.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:48 PM

8 posts, read 41,735 times
I moved from Westfield to Upper Black Eddy two years ago, best thing I've ever done. Yes, I drive more now but I love coming home to a nice place with great people. I grew up in Quakertown and would not recommend the area, sorry to all of the people I'm about to get yelled at by!

Old 07-28-2010, 10:03 AM

332 posts, read 990,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flicka View Post
I moved from Westfield to Upper Black Eddy two years ago, best thing I've ever done. Yes, I drive more now but I love coming home to a nice place with great people. I grew up in Quakertown and would not recommend the area, sorry to all of the people I'm about to get yelled at by!
Just curious why everyone seems to be down on Quakertown. My wife and I drove out there last weekend to have dinner at McCoole's (Red Lion Inn) because the menu looked great online-the food was great and they even have a little old lady that plays piano in the dining room. Based on what we saw driving through, Quakertown wasn't really our cup of tea because it's too dense, but it didn't look unsafe or run down at all. Just curious...

Old 07-28-2010, 11:06 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deere110 View Post
Just curious why everyone seems to be down on Quakertown. My wife and I drove out there last weekend to have dinner at McCoole's (Red Lion Inn) because the menu looked great online-the food was great and they even have a little old lady that plays piano in the dining room. Based on what we saw driving through, Quakertown wasn't really our cup of tea because it's too dense, but it didn't look unsafe or run down at all. Just curious...
Good question and I'm not sure if I can put my finger on it but if I put it in shopping terms.... Recently Q-town opened a big shopping area on the outskirts of town and put in a Target and Best Buy. They had room for a couple of other stores and I was really hoping for a Costco and Trader Joe's or maybe a Wegmans. Instead they put in a BJ's and an Aldi's. No uproar or anything and both places seem to be doing fine. Don't get me wrong, I don't feel unsafe or anything in Quakertown, it's just not as nice as Bethlehem or Doylestown.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley