Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2010, 08:47 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,348,896 times

Advertisements

Hi...some of you may know I've been looking for a new area for a couple of years now. However, my Mother's illness and eventual death and now my Dad's impending passing have put a monkey wrench in my plans.

I am placing my home in SE PA on the market in a few weeks and am nervous about where to go. NJ didn't really work out, and I believe I'd like to move a bit North.

Criteron:
semi-rural area with perhaps an acre; unrestricted fencing (front & back). Also, I don't want to be "bothered" in the event I should foster an extra canine or two.

Not-too-humid/hot summers; heavy winters are fine. (could NOT deal with another summer like this in suburban philly)

$ 225-300 price range and prefer one-floor ranchers (splits & bi-levels okay, but no colonials)

Reasonalbe taxes (under 5K a year)

no "family-oriented communities"

Prefer open-field areas to heavily-wooded

Prefer natural gas heat to propane and electric

natural streams, lakes, rivers and dog-friendly parks nearby would be wonderful.

Do not want to be anywhere near hunting

Public/private school or two within a 15-mile area, as I will be sub-teaching until I formally retire. Quality of district unimportant.

Any ideas, Folks???

Last edited by soulsurv; 07-20-2010 at 09:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 07:09 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,110,670 times
Maybe the non-tract house areas of Upper Macungie. Lots of random ranch homes here and there, and taxes are reasonable. Places further out like North Whitehall, Allen, Moore, the Nazareths, etc. are more in line with your general criteria, but utilities like gas aren't abundant in the non-tract house areas, and there is going to be hunting anywhere there are large tracts of undeveloped land.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnZ963 View Post
Maybe the non-tract house areas of Upper Macungie. Lots of random ranch homes here and there, and taxes are reasonable. Places further out like North Whitehall, Allen, Moore, the Nazareths, etc. are more in line with your general criteria, but utilities like gas aren't abundant in the non-tract house areas, and there is going to be hunting anywhere there are large tracts of undeveloped land.
Thanks, John; I'll do a computer search on those areas and feel them out. The sound of gunshots would definitely spook one of the two dogs...so that's a consideration. THANKS AGAIN.

Old 07-21-2010, 05:32 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,511,274 times
As a rule of thumb, the further west you go towards Berks county, the more house/land you can get for your money. We paid the same amount for our house in Lehigh County as we sold one for in Delaware county and got a similar house. I would look around Trexlertown. Rural and non-hunting is not an easy combo. Good luck with your job search, teaching jobs are awfully hard to come by.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 07-22-2010, 05:30 AM

889 posts, read 2,573,715 times
For your requirement for weather, I'd say you want to be north and west of the Kittatinny Mountain ridge, ie., when you drive north on the turnpike and go through the tunnel, you want to be north of that mountain.

And for sub-teacher jobs, you want to be close by bigger towns and cities, but not really in those towns and cities for the land you want. So think of outlying areas to Wilkes-Barre and Scranton. Town names that come to mind: Shavertown and Dallas N of Wilkes_Barre, (there's really too many to mention here), outlying parts of Dummore near Scranton, also Waymart and Forest City. There are many, many town names that might work for this, why not make a few drives through those areas and see what catches your attention.

I'd avoid the Poconos small towns and cities. But that's just me,

Old 07-22-2010, 07:53 PM

124 posts, read 342,012 times
Check out Bushkill township in Nazareth Borough....it's where we are moving and has everything in your criteria minus maybe the natural gas.. It's Beautiful!!!!!!!!

Old 07-24-2010, 05:34 AM

Thanks, PeeA and Kelly. Don't think I want to go so far as Scranton, but will look a bit south. What do you think of East Strausburg? They have some gorgeous homes. Is it a high-crime area?

Old 07-24-2010, 11:20 AM

208 posts, read 650,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyi View Post
Check out Bushkill township in Nazareth Borough....it's where we are moving and has everything in your criteria minus maybe the natural gas.. It's Beautiful!!!!!!!!
Actually Bushkill Township and Nazareth Borough are two separate areas. If you are interested, you can check out Bushkill Township in Northampton County. Nazareth Borough is more in-town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley