U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 09:20 PM

12,870 posts, read 29,506,883 times

Advertisements

Check out the demographics for Allentown //www.city-data.com/city/Allent...nsylvania.html

Median gross rent in 2008: $748.
Percentage of residents living in poverty in 2008: 20.4%

Read more: //www.city-data.com/city/Allent...#ixzz0pf40s4be

So 80% of the residents are NOT living in poverty and the majority of residents are white.

I would not want to live in Allentown right now, but frankly, I've never lived in any city and don't plan to move to one but I do go into Allentown fairly often and I don't feel unsafe. I shop at Valley Farm Market on Emmaus Avenue and occasionally go to the library in Center City. I drive through Allentown to get to Whitehall. My church is in West Allentown. Allentown does have it's problems but it's not like it's Camden.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 10:11 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,537,132 times
There was a recent article in the Express-Times re: homelessness but it had statistics in it that summed up the Lehigh Valley housing situation very well: In the past decade, wages in the Lehigh Valley increased an average of 14 to 17%. In that same time frame, rents increased an average of 40%.

Article is located here: Homeless veterans, spouses forced out of Allentown encampment; city wants to end chronic homelessness - lehighvalleylive.com

It makes me so sad to visit downtown Allentown. My aunts used to take me shopping at Hess's and Leh's when I was a little girl. As an older teen, I played in the symphony and would walk anywhere downtown. Now I don't even want to drive through there....

Old 06-02-2010, 07:26 AM

93 posts, read 284,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Check out the demographics for Allentown //www.city-data.com/city/Allent...nsylvania.html

Median gross rent in 2008: $748.
Percentage of residents living in poverty in 2008: 20.4%

Read more: //www.city-data.com/city/Allent...#ixzz0pf40s4be

So 80% of the residents are NOT living in poverty and the majority of residents are white.

I would not want to live in Allentown right now, but frankly, I've never lived in any city and don't plan to move to one but I do go into Allentown fairly often and I don't feel unsafe. I shop at Valley Farm Market on Emmaus Avenue and occasionally go to the library in Center City. I drive through Allentown to get to Whitehall. My church is in West Allentown. Allentown does have it's problems but it's not like it's Camden.
My previous comment should have read: Regardless of what you say about most Allentown people being decent hard-working people it is emphatically not the case IN THE BAD AREAS.

You're right, it isn't like Camden. But neither was Camden at one time. Cities with no obvious means of recovering tend to see their decline accelerate. And because the LV economy is more like one sprawling, decentralized city than a collection of distinct locales, Allentown is never going to catch up with Easton and Bethlehem as focal points of revitalization. It's sorty of a tragic, doomed city.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:56 PM

783 posts, read 1,813,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eephus View Post
My previous comment should have read: Regardless of what you say about most Allentown people being decent hard-working people it is emphatically not the case IN THE BAD AREAS.

You're right, it isn't like Camden. But neither was Camden at one time. Cities with no obvious means of recovering tend to see their decline accelerate. And because the LV economy is more like one sprawling, decentralized city than a collection of distinct locales, Allentown is never going to catch up with Easton and Bethlehem as focal points of revitalization. It's sorty of a tragic, doomed city.
I think you're right. I don't see any real incentive for investors to go into downtown and spend money doing rehab where there is plenty of land outside the city and people willing to drive the distance. It's a matter of desire. Nobody desires to live in the city. Investors know they would make more money putting a shopping center and a ton of mcmansions in freakin' fogelsville compared to risky downtown. The city is simply going to rot. Maybe one day someone will go in with a bulldozer and we'll start over.

Old 06-27-2010, 07:55 PM

15 posts, read 43,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eephus View Post
Landlords like section 8 because it's better to receive payment from the government than relying on slum dwellers to come up with the full amount every month. The system is a train wreck. Regardless of what you say about most Allentown people being decent hard-working people it is emphatically not the case. The idea behind section 8 was crime and quality of life would be improved if leeches and lowlifes were dispersed rather than concentrated, but all that's happened is that more marginal , lower rent areas like what Allentown used to be have become unlivable. You can thank Section 8. You can also thank the mass of "caring, open-minded" young lefties who have infested marginal neighborhoods in NYC and Philly for the cheap rents and driven out the brown people. Where do you think all the people they displace so they can afford to feel edgy in the big city and engage in morally superior preening end up?

it's the same game plan in South Bethlehem. It ain't happening quickly because the Lehigh Valley is pretty unsophisticated, but the game plan of all manner of lefties from Callahan to Lehigh U is obviously to slowly make the area attractive to the kind of people who'll drive the poor people out.

LMAO@ "SLUMDWELLERS" that made me spit my water out when i read that! GOOD STUFF!

Old 06-28-2010, 08:13 AM

8,874 posts, read 11,229,583 times
You can also thank the mass of "caring, open-minded" young lefties who have infested marginal neighborhoods in NYC and Philly for the cheap rents and driven out the brown people. Where do you think all the people they displace so they can afford to feel edgy in the big city and engage in morally superior preening end up?

What makes you think any young professional person who wants to live in a close in neighborhood in NYC is a "leftie"? And for crying out loud, someone who wants to live within walking distance of the business and engineering schools at LU?

Is everyone who doesn't choose to live in a suburb a leftie?

This is just the working out of the marketplace. Highly desirable locations with good access to the biggest job centers in the nation end up improved. Nothing leftist about it.

Old 06-30-2010, 06:21 PM

93 posts, read 284,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
You can also thank the mass of "caring, open-minded" young lefties who have infested marginal neighborhoods in NYC and Philly for the cheap rents and driven out the brown people. Where do you think all the people they displace so they can afford to feel edgy in the big city and engage in morally superior preening end up?

What makes you think any young professional person who wants to live in a close in neighborhood in NYC is a "leftie"? And for crying out loud, someone who wants to live within walking distance of the business and engineering schools at LU?

Is everyone who doesn't choose to live in a suburb a leftie?

This is just the working out of the marketplace. Highly desirable locations with good access to the biggest job centers in the nation end up improved. Nothing leftist about it.
You're kidding yourself. There's nothing leftist about it philosophically, but in practice the reality is much different. And where did I say that this process is started by young professionals? It's started by the over-educated underemployed class and only after they've conquered a neighborhood and driven out the poor do actual professionals start trickling in. For someone born in Brooklyn you sure seem to be in denial about the gentrification patterns in the city of your birth.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:46 PM

12,870 posts, read 29,506,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
I was up in the LV for the first time in quite awhile on business last week. I wasnt too pleased in what I saw in Allentown especially downtown. Whats going on and what in the hell happened? Is there any hope on the horizon?
Let's get back to the OP.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 07-01-2010, 02:13 PM

You're kidding yourself. There's nothing leftist about it philosophically, but in practice the reality is much different.

I do not know what that sentence means.

And where did I say that this process is started by young professionals? It's started by the over-educated underemployed class and only after they've conquered a neighborhood and driven out the poor do actual professionals start trickling in.

Artists and creative types sometimes move in first. Not always, by any means. And when they do, they are typically employed. I dont know what you mean by underemployed in this context. In a free society they can pursue jobs that the market offers, whether or not you like them. And I believe most are educated to a level appropriate for those jobs.

For someone born in Brooklyn you sure seem to be in denial about the gentrification patterns in the city of your birth.

I think I know far more about it than you do, actually.

Old 07-01-2010, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Let's get back to the OP.

If we discuss the "lefties" moving into south Bethlehem, rather than brooklyn, is that on topic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or