U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2010, 03:43 PM

27 posts, read 157,571 times

Advertisements

Hey All,

I just read the "tips" section and am editing to make this easier to read:

When are you moving? July-ish
Where are you coming from? Texas by way of NYC by way of Western/Central PA
Why are you moving? Job transfer
Where will you be working? Our Allentown office which is located just off 476 between route 22 and interstate 78.
Have you been here yet? A few times, but a couple years ago

Will you buy or rent? Rent - prefer a house over an apartment/condo, would consider a townhouse
How much can you spend? $700-$1200

Are you married or single? Married in our late 20's with a 7 mo. old son
Do you have pets? Yes, a chocolate lab mix
Do you want or need a yard? Prefer a yard
Are you keeping a car? Yes, two
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? Calm/quiet but close to activities

What do you want to be closest to? In order:
-a nice/clean/safe downtown - we really enjoy going out to dinner, culture, outdoor activities (both w/in the community and more rural), and walks/bike rides in town and around
-parks
-highways
-work

Neighborhood: as long as it is safe diversity is fine; we lived in Queens, the Upper East Side, and Austin, TX so we've seen it all.
Phillies or Mets? Unfortunately, the Pirates....along with the Steelers and Penguins. Additionally we are huge Penn State fans.
Side note: why are the Mets an option? I figured everyone would be Phills fans.

Last edited by emccomb1; 06-02-2010 at 04:08 PM.. Reason: Just read the "Tips" section of the Lehigh Valley forum
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 04:04 PM

12,870 posts, read 29,509,143 times
Bethlehem is really a small city, not a town. If I were you I would start my search in Emmaus which is just southwest of Allentown. If you live in Bethlehem you are going to have to go through both Bethlehem and Allentown every day. Just avoid living near the train in Emmaus. Emmaus train?

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 06-02-2010, 04:11 PM

27 posts, read 157,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Bethlehem is really a small city, not a town. If I were you I would start my search in Emmaus which is just southwest of Allentown. If you live in Bethlehem you are going to have to go through both Bethlehem and Allentown every day. Just avoid living near the train in Emmaus. Emmaus train?
Thanks toobusy, to be honest the commute (going through Bethlehem and Allentown) is not a big concern of mine. Perhaps it should be though.
I had a 45 minute to 1 1/2 commute while in NYC and currently have a 30-45 min commute; as long as we can keep it around 30 mins it won't be an issue.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:52 PM

783 posts, read 1,813,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emccomb1 View Post
Thanks toobusy, to be honest the commute (going through Bethlehem and Allentown) is not a big concern of mine. Perhaps it should be though.
I had a 45 minute to 1 1/2 commute while in NYC and currently have a 30-45 min commute; as long as we can keep it around 30 mins it won't be an issue.
Downtown Allentown is a complete disaster. There are other threads about this, so I won't go into detail, however I doubt you would want to walk around there at night. Downtown Bethlehem still has a few things going on and you probably won't be stabbed like in Allentown. I'm not extremely familiar with Bethlehem, but there are a ton of newer townhoues all along Rt. 22 close to airport Rd, I see them there all the time. I'm sure some are for rent there. That would be an easy commute to work for you, and also pretty easy to get into downtown bethlehem via 378. Also, there are a lot of townhouses off of MacArthur Rd. Make the turn at the Rite Aid and you'll see tons of them back there. There are a lot of townhouses near Wegmans too. That would be an easy commute to 78 and 476, so work and bethlehem wouldn't be too bad of a commute. Lastly, I'd check out the new developments around Trexlertown. That area around walmart has been growing with a lot of townhomes. Emmaus would be a nice place to look at as well. Again, I doubt you'd really want to hang out in downtown allentown unless you're in a hispanic gang or sell heroine. Downtown Bethlehem is where you should be looking at for places to hang out.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:53 PM

12,870 posts, read 29,509,143 times
I'm no Bethlehem expert but if you want to live within walking distance to shops, coffeehouses and bars then you would want to live in the Historic section around Main Street, near here Welcome to The Shoppes At The Main Street Commons If you live in that area however, you may find that you will be looking at very old houses and probably a duplex. Bethlehem was, after all, settled in 1741. Bethlehem is a neat little town and I like to visit it.

You will get more bang for your housing buck in Emmaus and an easier commute. My suggestion is you just look at both area's and see what you think. I like Emmaus because the area is very walkable and there are several restaurants, bars, an old movie theater, a used bookstore and a nice little library. Emmaus Main Street Program - Home (http://www.emmausmainstreet.com/home2.htm - broken link) I love their Sunday afternoon farmers market and stop there often in the summer on my way home from Church in West Allentown. Oh, and the East Penn School district is one of the best in the Valley.

Another choice is where I live, in Southern Lehigh School district. We have the best shopping here - Welcome to The Promenade Shops at Saucon Valley but the only real town in the school district doesn't really have any night life to speak of, it's just very family friendly. The promenade shops are equidistant to Bethlehem and Emmaus.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or