Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2010, 02:03 PM

1 posts, read 5,630 times

Advertisements

My family just moved to Lexington, KY and we are trying to find a place for our 5 year old son to play baseball. Our neighbors have told us that you can only play in certain leagues depending on your zip code. Does anyone know if this is true? If so do you know what league 40509 is zoned for?

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 07:06 PM

820 posts, read 2,867,895 times
I don't believe that any of the area restrictions apply to this age. The best suggestion I would have for someone with a young child is to contact parks and recreation. They publish a very nice booklet each spring that gives TONS of information on parks and various activities. Also, the YMCA has t-ball for that age group. Another suggestion might be to check this fall when your son begins school and see if any of his peers are playing and where. This would kill two birds with one stone so to speak by allowing him an activity outside of school to develop friendships with those that are also in his class.

Old 06-17-2010, 04:22 AM

891 posts, read 3,052,115 times
Full disclosure; our son doesn't play baseball so what I know is second hand from friends.
I believe that Veterans Park is considered the most competitive league. Ecton Park (Eastern Little League) has a large league and I know lots of people whose kids play there. They love it. There is also a league on the south west side of town but I can't recall where they play. From the little I know the leagues are either through Little League or Cal Ripken. I don't know if there is anything in 40509. If not then Ecton Park may be the closest.

Old 06-17-2010, 04:41 PM

I think many would argue with the opinion over Veterans! However, Cal Ripken is for younger (up through 11 I believe) and Little League actually has leagues that go through 16 or perhaps older here locally. Babe Ruth is what most kids in Cal Ripken go on to play at age 12. There were also Pony Leagues here at one time. The last one standing was at Gardensprings. I'm not sure if there remains a Pony League sanctioned league here or not? I, personally found pony league baseball to be fabulous and it's very strong in other parts of the country. For older kids (pre teen to teens) there are a variety of travel teams which are typically found through the instructional facilities - Lexington Baseball School and Champions. Your travel or "select" teams are often sanctioned through several different organizations.

Old 10-10-2010, 06:16 PM

1 posts, read 5,282 times
Our son started with Parks and Recreation t-ball at age 6, which was pretty low-key. He then moved to Southwest Pony, which plays at a higher level and attracts some decent players and coaches. There is of course the daddy-ball syndrome, but you will encounter that in any league that is predominantly coached by fathers. I will say, through Pony League my son got a very good foundation in fundamentals. They play at Cardinal Run park, a very nice facility, particularly if your child has siblings because it has a centrally located a play area. To answer you primary question, Pony League has no player boundaries. We had players from the neighboring Jessamine County and one from Scott County. One other thing to be aware of; the boundary limitation only applies to post-season play. Your son can play in any league in the city. However, unless he is within the geographical limits for that league, he cannot play on an all-star or select team that is sponsored by that league.

Old 10-14-2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexington59 View Post
He then moved to Southwest Pony, which plays at a higher level and attracts some decent players and coaches. . I will say, through Pony League my son got a very good foundation in fundamentals. They
I think Pony teaches the fundamentals better than any other sanctioned org. Just personal opinion of course, but I'm a fan!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area