U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 08:54 AM

14 posts, read 40,611 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,
I would like to retire in KY from CO in a few years. I have a couple of horses and would like a small place in the country. How are the winters? I've read a couple of postings on this forum that mentioned high utility bills and since I'll be on a fixed income, that's a concern. I was hoping to live 30-45 minutes from Lexingtion and see about getting a part time job as an interpretor for a hospital. I have been studying Spanish for several years and I'll continue to do so until I move. Thanks in advance for any comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 07:02 PM

Guess no one is interested in replying. Guess I'll assume that can't be as bad as Colorado Springs.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:32 AM

482 posts, read 708,985 times
winter can get quite cold... a few large snowfalls but not much more than a few inches.

had a few ice storms over the past 10 years which caused a good amount of damage

Old 07-04-2010, 07:14 AM

53 posts, read 74,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamroper View Post
Hi Everyone,
I would like to retire in KY from CO in a few years. I have a couple of horses and would like a small place in the country. How are the winters? I've read a couple of postings on this forum that mentioned high utility bills and since I'll be on a fixed income, that's a concern. I was hoping to live 30-45 minutes from Lexingtion and see about getting a part time job as an interpretor for a hospital. I have been studying Spanish for several years and I'll continue to do so until I move. Thanks in advance for any comments.
While I have not been in CO in the winter I moved in the late fall to Lexington from CT. The locals told me it was a rough winter. I am still wondering when winter will begin. Temps from 20 to 55 degrees with 1/2" at a time "snow storms". Snow removal (salt,sand etc) is slow and sparse. Great people here. The people are the biggest asset.

Old 07-04-2010, 03:33 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,691,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamroper View Post
Guess no one is interested in replying. Guess I'll assume that can't be as bad as Colorado Springs.
I've considered relocating to Colorado Springs. Most of the info I've gotten is that Colorado Springs winters aren't that bad. Yes, you can get snow all the way into may or june but even in winter it's not large amount, usually melts quickly and the dry air makes it more comfortable. Plus, many storms dont make it into the city of CS because of the mountains. These are things I've frequently read. My point is if you think CS winters are bad, you may won't to relocate further south. According to a quick search, it appears CS gets double the snow of Lexington. Winter may be better but you are still going to have it in Lexington.

Old 07-04-2010, 05:04 PM

146 posts, read 245,233 times
The biggest problem you will find is that most folks in the Lexington area have no idea how to drive in the snow and ice! But, you will not have to worry about school buses being out on the roads if there is even a hint of snow in the weather report! I originally came from New York and it just amazed me that they close the schools if snow is in the forecast!

As far as utilities go, make sure you find a place that is on Kentucky Utilities...rural electric is sky high! And, don't just assume that the home that you purchase has KU just because it is in the neighborhood with other homes that have it. We live on one side of the road and we have rural electric and the folks across the street have KU and pay half what we pay.

Kentucky is a great place to live. The Lexington area is very nice and there are many communities in the surrounding counties that are great. We live in Northern Garrard County. Our road was 90% farm land when we purchased 16 years ago. Now it has quite a few subdivisions but it still has that country feel. The great part is, you can get to Lexington in less than 30 minutes with four lane almost all of the way! Getting around in Lexington is a totally different story.

Old 07-07-2010, 02:09 AM

2,372 posts, read 4,582,802 times
Winter in Lexington sucks. Cold, grey, no snow when it's cold enough for the snow to stick, but you bet it'll come down when the ground temp is 35.

Sorry to say it, but it's true :P If there were a beautiful blanket of the white stuff I'd have stayed. I need my cold, snowy winters :P

Old 07-09-2010, 06:36 PM

Thanks for the info. To KNRSTZ: the winters in Colorado Springs can be bad, it just depends on the year. I lived in Denver for over 20 years and the weather is different in COS because it is at the base of Pikes Peak, but 4 years ago we had back to back blizzards over the holidays. When I say blizzards, I mean over 20 inches of snow and 45 mph winds. I have seen terrible winters that have shut down the city, then last year not much snow but colder than heck. I've pretty much made up my mind that KY is a beautiful place to live, and I want to move there eventually, just don't exactly know where. Thanks again for the info folks.

Old 08-07-2010, 03:19 PM

28 posts, read 66,802 times
Lexington is in an area that can potentially have large snow events. In the past decade, it hasn't happened at all. Small 2 to 5 inch snows and a couple of bad ice storms (hence the reason people haven't seen a huge snow in so long, thus aren't used to driving in it, but this wasn't the case before). Prior to that, plenty of LARGE snowstorms from the 1950's through the 1990s, nearing 2 feet in some cases. Not sure what is up with the last decade, but if there is some sort of "cycle" then don't base what's happened in the 2000's to what the future will be like. For example, the 1920's was similar to the 2000's where snowfall was light the entire decade. Very little sun in winter as well.

Old 08-07-2010, 08:48 PM

898 posts, read 1,667,125 times
Lexington averages about 15-18 inches of snow per year. Last year we were in the 30 inch range. Most of that is in 0.5-2 inch snowfalls. Most years there will be one or two snowfalls of 3-5 inches. Every 3rd year there will be a snowfall of 6-10 inches, and every 6-10 years or so there will be a foot+ fall. High temperatures average in the upper 30s in January, although it seems like the temperature is always either <34 or >43. There will be plenty of warm days in November to hike and walk without freezing, and there will be a few in December and even January. Last year was the first time in something like 30 years that January didn't have at least one day with a temperature of >60 (I don't know why I remember that from the weather report, but I do).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area