U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2010, 12:00 AM

137 posts, read 449,866 times

Advertisements

Ok more specifically (since I have never been there) are there any within a 30 mile radius that are rural/farm/small where you can still buy a farm or land "reasonably"? Again I have not been there so I have no idea if this is a stupid question. JUst a possible job offer and school option and I don't know anyone who has lived there or visited recently.

Are the building/zoning codes strict or lax?

Ok one last hopefully not dumb question... mountains? Google maps makes it look pretty flat with forest? I could be reading it wrong.

Thank you all for looking!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 04:05 AM

4,114 posts, read 9,546,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonYellow View Post
Ok more specifically (since I have never been there) are there any within a 30 mile radius that are rural/farm/small where you can still buy a farm or land "reasonably"? Again I have not been there so I have no idea if this is a stupid question. JUst a possible job offer and school option and I don't know anyone who has lived there or visited recently.

Anderson County, Mercer Co., northern Scott Co., Garrard Co.

Are the building/zoning codes strict or lax?

Generally lax

Ok one last hopefully not dumb question... mountains? Google maps makes it look pretty flat with forest? I could be reading it wrong.

The Bluegrass Plateau region is rather hilly. Not much flat land to be had, although much of the hills are gentle. Now, go half an hour east and south of the city and you get into the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains.

Thank you all for looking!!!
Answers in bold.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:38 AM

Thanks!!!!!!

Old 07-01-2010, 03:57 PM

146 posts, read 245,142 times
Northern Garrard County is an easy drive to Lexington. 4 lane all the way and about 25 miles to town. It's really easier to get to Lexington than it is to drive around in it!

Zoning virtually is nil, unless you happen to own property that you purchased from Nature Conservancy.

Prices are not bad and you can even find rental property...lake front at that!

Be prepared to do all of your shopping in Lexington or Nicholasville though. Lancaster does not have a grocery store! In fact, the only time we venture to the big city of Lancaster is to renew our drivers license. lol

The "knobs" of Boyle County are about as hilly as it gets except for the "palisades" along the Kentucky River. Northern Garrard County has some really nice hiking areas along the river. You'll also find very high areas overlooking Lake Herrington. But to calls them hills...no.

Old 07-02-2010, 05:17 AM

628 posts, read 1,101,416 times
We are in Bourbon County, but do most of our shopping in Winchester, in Clark County. The land can be rolling but not mountainous. You really need to visit and see how beautiful it is here!!

Old 07-05-2010, 08:44 PM

5 posts, read 12,510 times
To the west and northwest of Lexington are Frankfort (the Capitol) and Georgetown. Frankfort, being a state government town, has reasonably priced properties, especially now with the recessionary times. Home purchase prices are 20-30% off what they were two years ago. Very nice homes can be had both in town and in the rural areas at very reasonable prices.
Due to the rapid growth of the Georgetown-Scott County area (as a result of Toyota and other supporting factories) prices have been rather steep. I'm sure there are some good deals to be had on small farms in the rural areas but the land typically is flat for the most part.
In both areas the zoning has gotten fairly strengent.
Kentucky has a lot of fine areas to offer and it would be difficult for me to put one above the other!!
Welcome and best of luck!

CD

Old 07-06-2010, 03:04 PM

Thanks again everyone!

Old 08-22-2011, 04:47 PM

1 posts, read 3,662 times
We are looking to relocate our family to Kentucky. Our son has dreams of attending the University. We are from a small town in Michigan. What are good areas for raising a family and also schools with good basketball programs. We have a large family with a wide range of ages. We also need to find information on hospitals that specialize in childrens heart defects and a good pediatric cardiologist.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:04 PM

10,305 posts, read 21,858,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myvalentine4ever View Post
We are looking to relocate our family to Kentucky. Our son has dreams of attending the University. We are from a small town in Michigan. What are good areas for raising a family and also schools with good basketball programs. We have a large family with a wide range of ages. We also need to find information on hospitals that specialize in childrens heart defects and a good pediatric cardiologist.
Good basketball.. LOL Another "only in Kentucky" question

Scott County schools are good in sports and academics. Georgetown is pretty nice and is probably as quick a commute to Downtown Lexington (+ hospitals) as people in South Lex along Man O War Blvd are.

Old 08-28-2011, 12:43 PM

10,993 posts, read 9,160,217 times
Basketball is...well, the King of High School Sports in almost every public high school in Kentucky.

With your child's health care being a primary consideration, you'll want to be reasonably close to the University of Kentucky Children's Hospital, part of the UK Medical Center Hospital in Lexington.

Lexington is lovely and has mostly-good public schools, but the cost of living is higher than in the surrounding ring of smaller towns, most of which are within 15 to 35 miles of Lexington. Most of the public schools in the surrounding counties are pretty good, and most have strong basketball programs.

The Bluegrass, which includes Lexington and the surrounding communities, consists of rolling open countryside, with clusters of trees here and there and more trees lining old fence rows. Many fields and older roads are lined with drystone walls dating back to the early 1800s. The Bluegrass is the home of the thoroughbred horse industry, with many beautifully manicured horse farms surrounding Lexington. Sizable woodlands are scarce but present along the Kentucky River and in a few other locales. The palisaded river is a popular location for weekend cottages and small boating, with larger lakes an hour or so away.

Lexington is a little under two-hours' drive from both Louisville and Cincinnati, both of which offer big-city attractions, and is also about 45 minutes to an hour away from the mountains of eastern Kentucky, notably those near both Berea and the farther-east Red River Gorge.

I'd suggest doing both online research and contacting the visitors' centers and chambers of commerce for the cities and towns which seem like possibilities for your family. Good luck in finding your "new Kentucky home"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or