U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 10:30 AM

8 posts, read 15,673 times

Advertisements

Hello all

I am specialized medical professional from the Middle East. I spent lots of my life between Europe and USA. I am moving to Lexington soon. I like the idea of living and working in a busy and big place but in the same time living close to the country side in reasonable size city like Lexington.

However, I have my concerns, most important of it, How Lexington specifically and Kentucky in general tolerant to others? I am easy going guy and I adapt easily to different places and peoples. I like to follow the rules and laws as its part of my nature. But I am little pit afraid from biased peoples and most certainly the law enforcement (I mean stop you for no good reason just to being biased against you). Any idea about who are the hate crimes?

Thanks for your thoughts and insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 04:53 PM

2,372 posts, read 4,582,802 times
Lexington, thanks to the university, has very large populations of Indians, Pakistanis, Persians, Palestinians, among many others. You'll surely fit in well there. I've never heard of a hate crime against a middle-easterner in Lexington. Most Lexingtonians, especially UK students, take a deep interest in the culture of others. The police force is fairly uncorrupt and if you have any problems, can be sorted out through an officer's superiors. There shouldn't be any problem for you adjusting to Lexington. There are even numerous Arab-American and Mediterranean restaurants in the city, as well as a tightly knit Muslim community with an open mind and low key. Some of my best friends in my time at UK were immigrants of middle-eastern background and I even attended a few services at the Islamic center. I can honestly say it's one of the friendliest, most open, and most well received foreign demographics in the city.

Welcome to the 859!

Old 07-07-2010, 08:28 PM

25 posts, read 56,032 times
Lexington was actually the largest US city to have an Arab-American mayor in office; Teresa Isaac, who served from 2002 to 2006. I don't actually live in Lexington, but I will likely attend UK next year. From what I've seen Lexington seems very diverse and progressive. I'm sure you'll feel right at home. Good luck!

Old 07-11-2010, 01:07 PM

8 posts, read 15,673 times
Thanks guys for these thoughts. I am excited about it and look to it as place full with potentials.

Last edited by nc560; 07-11-2010 at 01:44 PM..

Old 07-25-2010, 10:53 PM

21 posts, read 46,464 times
Middle-Eastern tolerance and ability to blend in this community is very high. Most of the law enforcement profiling is aimed at Mexicans and the African-American community. You will get along just fine.

Old 07-29-2010, 12:09 PM

10,323 posts, read 21,867,773 times
Lexington and Louisville are in a different universe compared to the rest of the state. They are like little islands of San Francisco surrounded by an ocean of rednecks

Old 07-29-2010, 05:12 PM

871 posts, read 2,014,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Lexington and Louisville are in a different universe compared to the rest of the state. They are like little islands of San Francisco surrounded by an ocean of rednecks
this isnt true at all. there are plenty of rednecks right in both lexington and louisville. many of which either came from this "sea" themselves or are the offsrping of those that did. and nothing in lexington can be compared to san francisco in the way of social politics. lexington very much mirrors the areas around it. louisville doesnt to as much of an extent, but is still nothing at all like SF. plus lexington is surrounded by a few more wealthy small towns that id hardly call "rednecks" (paris, versailles), although those towns as well are nothing at all like SF.

Old 07-29-2010, 05:25 PM

355 posts, read 683,298 times
Well it depends, just how much Orange do you wear?

College Sports team joke

Old 07-31-2010, 05:33 PM

102 posts, read 271,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJohnWilson View Post
this isnt true at all. there are plenty of rednecks right in both lexington and louisville. many of which either came from this "sea" themselves or are the offsrping of those that did. and nothing in lexington can be compared to san francisco in the way of social politics. lexington very much mirrors the areas around it. louisville doesnt to as much of an extent, but is still nothing at all like SF. plus lexington is surrounded by a few more wealthy small towns that id hardly call "rednecks" (paris, versailles), although those towns as well are nothing at all like SF.
Well, that's true but there are also "rednecks" in San Francisco and Seattle. No place fits into a neat little box

But the analogy is correct. Lousville and Lexington don't feel anything like the rest of the state. But you can say that about a lot of places. Is Chicago anything like the rest of Illinois?

Old 08-01-2010, 12:17 AM

871 posts, read 2,014,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibor75 View Post
Well, that's true but there are also "rednecks" in San Francisco and Seattle. No place fits into a neat little box

But the analogy is correct. Lousville and Lexington don't feel anything like the rest of the state. But you can say that about a lot of places. Is Chicago anything like the rest of Illinois?
lexington DOES feel like the rest of the state, or at least the rest of the bluegrass region. thats my point exactly. lexington, versailles, richmond, cynthiana, and paris all have a very similar feel. the vast majority of lexingtons population came from this so called "sea of rednecks". lexington is nothing at all like san francisco (ive spent quite a bit of time in both) and it is really just a bigger version of the bluegrass region towns mentioned above and thus has various features that come with being bigger in total population. also people forget that much of lexington is lower middle class and working class (many from eastern ky) and could easily fit the bill of "redneck", or whatever one means by that term.

for louisville, the analogy works better, but is still ridiculous as louisville is nothing like SF and also shares much in common with the rest of the state. a huge chunk of the population living in louisville comes from other parts of kentucky, east central and west.

and ive been to san francisco at least 15 times. ive never met a redneck. if there are rednecks in san francisco they must hide very, very well.

all that being said, to answer the original question. i dont think youll have much trouble with being harassed by the police. there will certainly be people who will embrace your culture and ones who will simply respect it and let you be, but there are folks who wont be pleased with middle easterners as well. but nothing like hate crimes or anything, more like a stare.

Last edited by JimmyJohnWilson; 08-01-2010 at 12:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or